Why is Wicked that popular?

Pasdechat
#1Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 1:46pm

To my eyes and ears, Wicked is a nice family entertainment show and I can see why it is a success with teenagers and families with children. However, overall I find it an "ok show" but was actually quite disappointed and even bored when I saw it many years ago (maybe disappointed b/c it was so hyped). The score is enjoyable and it has a number of outstanding songs, with Defying Gravity surely being a decade-defining Broadway song (even though I never understood why in the stage version the song is cut to pieces instead of keeping it a pure power solo). The rest: story, set, dancing, costumes, etc. seemed almost generic to me. I also don't understand why apart from the indisputable vocal challenge, the role of Elphaba is considered by some as such a difficult one.

I don't mean to bash. But does anyone think alike?

Updated On: 4/30/14 at 01:46 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 1:49pm

Y'know..... it's just one of them thangs.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#3Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 1:53pm

Coffee pickles way outsell the dill.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Brian07663NJ
#4Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 1:53pm

Jordan...I think you missed stating that this is the only show that has winged flying monkeys.

jemjeb2
#5Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 1:54pm

I too saw it much after it was already a megahit and came out thinking thoughts similiar to yours. I guess its fanbase "teenage girls and famillies with children" was enough to make it a success and the ball keeps rolling. I must say the show certainly continues to please its fans.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#6Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 1:56pm

I saw it in previews in San Francisco before Broadway and didn't understand the fuss then... and that was pre-hype.

Jordan Catalano
#7Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:01pm

I saw it early in previews and thought it was "ok". There was a respectable audience but it was in no way sold out. I only remember it that well because of how it just took off like a rocket once 10 year old girls with no friends discovered it.

Updated On: 4/30/14 at 02:01 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#8Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:02pm

What's a wicked?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#9Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:02pm

Great marketing, the reputation of the original cast, catchy songs, and a story so sanitized from the novel that a 5 year old can walk out happy, demanding t-shirts and assorted merchandise on the way out the door.

I don't begrudge its success. I prefer other shows and the original novel.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:05pm

What is popular among musical theatre enthusiasts and popular among the general public is often vastly different. Reading opinions on this board, you would think Cats would have closed in a month rather than become one of the most popular musicals in the world.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#11Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:06pm

As Joan Rivers often says when she does workout shows at the Beechman, "For the out-of-towners, I hope you enjoy Wicked, because you're the only ones that do. What a piece of ****!"

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#12Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:10pm

I agree with the OP

The show is like cotton candy, initially tastes good, but never going to fill you up.

The one good thing about Wicked and as the OP stated it appeals to a very young crowd, if this acts as a gateway show to then go on to appreciate other kinds of theater, then actually I am fine with it.

avyrocks
#13Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:16pm

I fully agree. I've never understood the hype. It's good but nothing that spectacular to be crazy over. In my opinion, there are many shows on Broadway that are much better than Wicked. One of my pet peeves is when tourists will only go with Wicked/Book of Mormon/Lion King without any willingness to broaden their horizon.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#14Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:19pm

I like the album quite a bit (and love the novel), but I've yet to meet anyone--including my teenage niece--who didn't shrug when asked about the show. Nobody seems to hate it, but nobody seems excited enough that I need to spend $200 on tickets.

Steve721
#15Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:22pm

Since there's an endless supply of teenage girls, I suppose this will run forever.

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#16Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:26pm

As someone who first saw Wicked as a teenage girl, the only reaction I really remember having was that I was upset they watered the book down so much. Other than that...meh. I saw Assassins the next day and it was much more to my liking.

FindingNamo
#17Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:26pm

Why won't Joan Rivers's plastic surgeon do the world a favor and sew her mouth shut? She'd do fine on IV nutrition.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jordan Catalano
#18Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:27pm

I love Joan Rivers. I see her every chance I get, so I hope her surgeon does not do as Namo suggested because that would mean that I couldn't go see her every chance I get and that would make me very very sad. Why is Wicked that popular?

FindingNamo
#19Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:31pm

I'd hate to see you be sad.

But I hate Joan more.

And I'm all about love.

Say. Whatever happened to Lisa Lumpagnelli's BIG BROADWAY SHOW that was going to get her a Tony this season?

Jordan Catalano
#20Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:37pm

Maybe she went up to Harlem and got so sidetracked that she forgot about it.

Wildcard
#21Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:37pm

Wicked may be like cotton candy (or funnel cake) but every time you go to the fair, you can't help but want some.

Mmmm… funnel cake

FindingNamo
#22Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:38pm

You get yourself a taste of Wicked every time you go to the fair?

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#23Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:41pm

Great marketing, the reputation of the original cast, catchy songs, and a story so sanitized from the novel that a 5 year old can walk out happy, demanding t-shirts and assorted merchandise on the way out the door.

This. It's not without some merit, but it's incredibly safe and really has no objectionable material in it. The whole family can go and walk out completely satisfied, if not challenged in any way.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:52pm

You ask: "Why is Wicked so popular?"

Popular?

POPULAR?

They know about pop-u-lar!

It's not about aptitude

It's the way you're viewed.

So it's very shrewd to be

Very, very popular

Like Wicked!

FindingNamo
#25Why is Wicked that popular?
Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:57pm

I always suspected you were Gerard Alessandrini.