pixeltracker

Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?

Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/14/14 at 11:40pm

On the 'Watch What Happens Live' after show, a fan asked what her dream role is and she responded with something like "I can't say much yet, but I will be returning to Broadway. and I would love to play Hello, Dolly someday."

Could she be referring to On The Twentieth Century or the rumored Dolly revival?

Updated On: 4/14/14 at 11:40 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 12:01am

If Chenoweth does HELLO, DOLLY! it would be an outrage. The many, many talented names you could have in that role, and you let Chenoweth do it?! I, for one, have zero interest in witnessing Kristin Chenoweth's unneseccary operatically-attributed take on Dolly Levi. I'd rather scrape out my eardrums with a miniature chainsaw than hear her butcher that wonderful Jerry Herman score. Don't get me wrong -- I generally enjoy Chenoweth's performances -- but she is not an ideal Dolly Levi. Here's seven better and more appropriate ideas for Levi -- a list of a range of different types:

Tyne Daly
Queen Latifah
Adriane Lenox
Andrea Martin
Marrin Mazzie
(perhaps still) Bette Midler
Sherie Rene Scott

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 12:06am

Andrea Martin as Dolly... now THAT I would pay to see.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#3Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 12:13am

Thanks, Capn, now I REALLY want to see Queen Latifah.

CoreyRyan3
#4Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 12:14am

^^this

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 12:21am

She'd make a great Ermengarde.
Most of Dolly's hats are bigger than that little doll.

Updated On: 4/15/14 at 12:21 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 12:26am

What is this? The 763rd project she's associated herself with?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 12:27am

Is Cheno a pathological liar? Because it's getting to the point where she says she's doing a different new musical almost every week now.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#8Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 12:29am

Yeah... whenever she's interviewed (which is a rarer and rarer occurrence), she talks about how she'll be returning so soon!

And yet... here we are.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#9Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 1:47am

Dear God NO! I have only seen Ms Chenoweth on youtube and her glorious appearance in Candide[DVD]. Dolly is a force to be reconnened with and a voice to match. Ms Chenoweth has the physicality of a fairground doll on a stick wrapped in fairy floss-NOT my idea of a Dolly. On the 20th-Yes.

Think I spelt 'reconnened' wrong.reckonned?

Updated On: 4/15/14 at 01:47 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#10Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 2:01am

Chenoweth is 100% returning to Broadway in ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY this fall opposite Peter Gallagher. They've already started casting the supporting roles, so I can't imagine a formal announcement is too far off.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Karen Cartwright Profile Photo
Karen Cartwright
#11Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 3:37am

Gee. What's next. Cheno as Norma Desmond? She really is trying to keep herself relevant. Maybe she should try to attach herself to Lea Michele and the whole Glee/Funny Girl bit while she's at it.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#12Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 5:59am

There was an interview where Dolly herself said Cheno would be a candidate for playing her. However she is definitely referring to OTTC. I'm pretty sure Cheno has said multiple times that she would love to play Dolly in the future and not anytime soon. I LOVE Cheno to death and she is the perfect Lily Garland but I really can't see her as Dolly either (vocal-wise, obviously not looks-wise).

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 6:39am

I took it as: there is an upcoming thing I can't mention AND I'd like to play Dolly. TWO different and unconnected productions.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#14Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 6:56am

Minnie Fay and that's it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 8:16am

Here' a clip of the interview with her response. It's at the end of the clip.

http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/season-11/videos/after-show-kristin-s-coming-back-to-broadway

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#16Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 9:03am

If Dolly were to be revived, Reba would be at the very top of the list of actresses I'd like to see cast. Cheno would not be on that list.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#17Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 1:51pm

Add Beth Leavel to that list. I have sources that tell me she's doing it at the MUNY this summer.

Replacement Cast Profile Photo
Replacement Cast
#18Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 2:26pm

Andrea Martin or Reba - YES! I will never, ever understand the ooh-aah of Beth Leavel in anything anywhere.

Nice is different than good.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 2:34pm

Andrea Martin or Beth Leavel would be great choices to play Dolly at a place like Papermill. But in a full-scale, commercial, revival, the producers are going to want some kind of "star."

Didn't Jerry Herman "veto" LuPone playing this role about 5 years ago?

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#20Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 3:03pm

He didn't have a problem with LuPone. The issue was that she and director Jack O'Brien wanted to do a completely new production but Herman insisted they recreate the original Gower Champion staging. LuPone and O'Brien weren't interested in that so it didn't happen.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#21Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 4:54pm

I don't know what her inflection was like, but it looks like she was conveying two different ideas. She's returning soon, and that she wants to play Dolly.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#22Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 5:09pm

It's pretty clear the She was talking about two different things- they weren't connected. Some people seemed to have been trying to read more into it then there was- Not surprising.

Darreyl with an L!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 5:29pm

After LISTENING to the clip, it is even more obvious she meant she wanted play Dolly "someday". (I said that even after someone just wrote up the text, too.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24Chenoweth hints at DOLLY revival?
Posted: 4/15/14 at 6:01pm

On the flip side, with a rumored Dolly revival starring HER, there could certainly have been a relation between her saying "she is returning soon" and "wants to play Dolly someday." If she was being sly/secretive, she could have been dropping a hint.
Anyway, I assume she was speaking about TWENTIETH CENTURY.