News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DSamuels90

DSamuels90 Profile Photo
Member Name: DSamuels90
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: What shows did you do in high school?
 Sep 10 2017, 03:35:46 AM

My school happened to be blessed with a well funded & supported arts department, so we did anywhere from 4-6 shows every year. Usually two of those were musicals: a fall semester production with auditions open to the whole school, and a spring semester production limited to the students who successfully auditioned & registered for a musical theatre class. We also had a one act play production class in the fall semester, and that was the show we took to the one act competitions (in my time, we went to the state level twice, which was a big point of pride many years ago lol).

So, in no particular order:

• Funny Girl (ensemble, also a terrible idea none of us enjoyed talking about when it was finished)
  • Sweet Charity (Vittorio/ensemble. Fun fact: our Charity danced with the Rockettes last year)
  • Big the Musical (ensemble)
  • Little Shop of Horrors (started as the understudy Mushnik, took over full time when the regular guy got suspended for flashing some classmates...)
  • Footloose (Rev. Moore. We cheated & used the original/Broadway libretto, and I shamelessly admit I enjoyed making people cry every night during "I Confess."
  • A double bill of Chamber Music and selections from All In the Timing (I was Trotsky and one of guys in The Philadelphia)
  • It Runs In the Family (I was Doctor something, the lead, and I never want to see that godforsaken play again)
  • The Nerd (I've forgotten my character's name, but I was the grumpy boss of the lead who gets covered in cottage cheese in the second act. We used real cheese...)
  • Antigone (sentry)
  • Fiddler On the Roof (Tevye, a role I'd probably literally kill to play again when I'm old enough to do it justice)

I know I've forgotten a few. Like I said, we did a lot of shows. If you were an established theatre kid (and, like me, a guy), you were always busy. Damn near lettered twice in theatre, too. And, I'm happy to say quite a number of people I knew in high school theatre have gone on to have successful careers in the industry (no big names, but I can think of at least 8 of us working consistently in theatre/film/TV/theme parks/cruise ships). 

Robot characters on Broadway
 Aug 12 2017, 01:24:33 AM

The show didn't play on Broadway, so it might not count, but there's a VERY prominent robot in the musical version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis. The character spends most of the show in the form of Maria, but if the album is any indication, "Futura" should have had at least two scenes in the first act: the reveal of the Futura robot in the laboratory, and the Act I finale when Maria's likeness is transposed onto the machine.

Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
 Aug 4 2016, 11:56:44 PM

I actually quite like Love Never Dies. The studio album was very pretty, if clunky in storytelling, and I think the changes made for the Australian production were great improvements. 

Considering productions I've actually seen, I'd cast my vote for Joseph blahblah Dreamcoat. After that, Cats, which is a score I don't mind listening to, but as a show you couldn't pay me enough to sit through it again.

Based on

She Loves Me streaming
 Jun 30 2016, 11:19:07 PM

I absolutely loved this.  Had the pleasure of playing Sipos in a college production, and I was thrilled when this live stream was first announced.

For me, Act I was was plagued with BUFFERING nearly every 15-20 seconds.  I nearly gave up at intermission, but decided to try a different browser (from Firefox to Chrome) for Act II.  So glad I did, because the second act played without a single hitch.  I'll be revisiting it within the week so I can properly experience the first half.

Despite the technical issues on my end, the show itself looked & sounded fantastic.  I hope this sets a new trend for Broadway productions which (like "She Loves Me" are nearing the end of their runs.

OFFICIAL 2016 TONY AWARDS VIEWING THREAD
 Jun 12 2016, 08:58:20 PM

Laura Benanti's high note = perfection. Also love how they're using the projected scenery. It looks really good, at least on my tv. 

Grease Live! Official Thread
 Jan 31 2016, 09:13:49 PM

Here in Atlanta, not only did the sound go wonky, but the feed got dropped & "rewound" to the "Greased Lightning" scene. Finally rejoined the live feed at the end of "Hopelessly Devoted," but the sound was a mess & the video kept getting interrupted by Hulu ads.

Other than that, I'm enjoying this more than I'd expected. Not my favorite show, but from a technical standpoint it's very impressive. I imagine a live "West Si

Bull Durham in Atlanta
 Sep 21 2014, 02:51:49 PM
The scene & "ballet" were VERY well received. We've got the Braves, so I don't think there's anyone in Atlanta who would have trouble with some baseball humor. That scene made me glad I didn't leave at intermission.
Bull Durham in Atlanta
 Sep 19 2014, 03:24:36 AM
I can't compare Errico & Swenson to their movie counterparts, but not having seen the movie. Between the two, Errico was the disappointing one for me. Maybe it was an off night, or maybe that's just her style. In this case, I only have albums & one not legal video to draw on for reference. Lovely voice, but there was nothing behind her eyes from square one (yes, I was close enough to see her eyes -- the theatre is surprisingly intimate). She perked up in Act 2, but thanks to Act One's length it
Bull Durham in Atlanta
 Sep 18 2014, 05:59:23 AM
I saw it this past Tuesday night. I knew nothing of the film going in, so I don't really have anything to compare it to besides other musicals, just FYI.

I was really excited to get to see Melissa Errico & Will Swenson live. Naming names would be mean, but suffice to say one of them seemed bored throughout the first act, and woke up a little in the second. But by then I already didn't care about that character any more, so the little boost didn't help much. Some of my friends who saw th

Why is Wicked that popular?
 May 1 2014, 02:09:57 AM
Regarding the comments about the set/dragon clock: I always assumed the concept was that the entire show was one of the clock's puppet shows, with us its audience looking in to see Elphaba's story. Hence the presence of the dragon on the proscenium (the books frequently point out the dragon figure perched atop the clock's stage) and the cogs/gears which make up various set pieces. Obviously nobody watching the musical who hasn't read the book would get this (unless the one mention of the clock
'Nine' -- original 1982 production
 Mar 20 2014, 04:15:33 PM
Does anyone here know why the cast album was released as a single LP? I see a note on the back of the sleeve: "Special-value cassette package containing over 80 minutes of music also available." Was vinyl already declining in popularity in 1982? I would have thought a double LP release would have been beautiful to look at. As it is, if I didn't already know what the show was about (thank you Google), this album would have left me very confused with its all-too-brief synopsis and obvious stu
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You