pixeltracker

Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)

Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)

Alex Kulak
#1Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:30pm

What's the worst musical Andrew Lloyd Webber had a hand in? Excluding Love Never Dies, cause that's too easy. 

For me, it's Aspects of Love. The Score is insipid, the lyrics are garbage, and the second acts concerns a 34 year old man trying to screw his 14 year old cousin.

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#2Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:34pm

I think Cats is awful. Everything about it sucks. The music, choreography, costumes, all of it.  It is the worst musical ever, after American Idiot. 

Updated On: 8/4/16 at 07:34 PM

broadwayboy223
#3Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:36pm

ozjust4 said: "I think Cats is awful. Everything about it sucks. The music, choreography, costumes, all of it.  It is the worst musical ever, after American Idiot. 

"

Cats is truly awful in my opinion as well. So so so bad 

#4Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:37pm

ozjust4 said: "I think Cats is awful. Everything about it sucks. The music, choreography, costumes, all of it."

Agreed. It is nonsensical, and not in a profound or intelligent way. Cats is his worst.

Updated On: 8/4/16 at 07:37 PM

Alex Kulak
#5Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:38pm

at least with Cats, some of the songs are pleasant to listen to. I didn't hear a single interesting melody in Aspects of Love.

pupscotch
#6Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:39pm

Alex Kulak said: "at least with Cats, some of the songs are pleasant to listen to. I didn't hear a single interesting melody in Aspects of Love.

"

Did you mean worst score? Or worst show? Because those are two different questions. I'm not a fan of Cats, but the score is the best part of the show (not that it's great).

Alex Kulak
#7Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:41pm

Worst show. I agree, Cats has some of his better melodies,but the lack of coherency makes it suck.

jo
#8Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:47pm

ASPECTS OF LOVE is a personal favorite here --

The score is lyrical, achingly romantic ...and as the late critic Sheridan Morley once wrote in his review, almost Sondheimesque in tone. It is also very beautifully sung by the excellent cast.

The book and lyrics are derived very faithfully from a novella by David Garnett of the  bohemian Bloombury Group in mid-20th century  England, which included Virginia Woolf.

To each his own!

Updated On: 8/4/16 at 07:47 PM

curel1
#9Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:49pm

I think Cats is some of his better work, score-wise. I don't mind the lack of plot, it's not a deep show and it's entertaining to watch

Alex Kulak
#10Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:53pm

@jo

Not only is Aspects Of Love the worst show. It's the biggest missed opportunity. The idea (various permutations of romantic relationships over many years) is so profound, and he wastes it on 34 year old Michael Ball trying to bone his pubescent cousin. And this is set in like 1960s England. It's not cool, man.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#11Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 7:58pm

Cats made me want to murder people. I'd say Cats followed by Starlight Express. 

I loved Aspects. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:09pm

Cats

Poster Emeritus

jo
#13Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:12pm

Here are brief clips from the Broadway staging of ASPECTS OF LOVE --

Love Changes Everything

Seeing is Believing

Anything but Lonely

Reprise of Love Changes Everthing.

There are also a number of other wonderful songs  -- solos, duets, ensemble singing. I do think the score is very engaging.  There is also Chanson d'Enfance, The First Man You Remember, Hand Me the Wine and the Dice, Other Pleasures, The Mermaid Song,  etc...and it is one of Lloyd Webber's scores that I revisit often.

As for the theme  of multiple relationships -- that reflected the mores of the times with certain groups of people, captured in fiction.   I had seen the production in its original staging in London and the slightly revised production on Broadway.  The first clip shown on this thread came from the TONY Awards, where ASPECTS OF LOVE was a nominee for BEST MUSICAL!

Btw,  I had also seen a scaled down production directed by Gale Edwards ( the original was directed by Trevor Nunn) and the score was still sparkling and evocative of that time in a part of England.

Updated On: 8/4/16 at 08:12 PM

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#14Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:14pm

I like the music of Aspects, but most of the characters are loathsome. I always feel like I need a shower after listening to it. Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies) It's better when I hear the songs out of context, on solo albums. They just sound like normal love songs then.

It's hard to think of any ALW show that comes even close to LND's abysmal awfulness. But I suppose I'd go with Starlight Express.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#15Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:14pm

Alex Kulak said: "@jo

Not only is Aspects Of Love the worst show. It's the biggest missed opportunity. The idea (various permutations of romantic relationships over many years) is so profound, and he wastes it on 34 year old Michael Ball trying to bone his pubescent cousin. And this is set in like 1960s England. It's not cool, man.

You have seen a poor directed version of the show, because you clearly don't understand the story.

Alex doesn't try to 'bone his cousin,' his cousin tries to make advances on him, which he bats away successfully but does show he is tempted, yes it does include resisted peodphilia but that is the story to show every aspect of love, including in the same scene a fathers lover for his child.

"

broadwayguy91
#16Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:18pm

Jesus Christ Superstar

School of Rock

Sunset Boulevard

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#17Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:29pm

Not knowing every single one of his shows, I would go with Phantom of the Opera. I do like some of the music, but the story line just seems like a really bad Lifetime movie.  I'll also admit to almost laughing at an inappropriate moment.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#18Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:34pm

I know I'm veering off topic here, but are there any fans of "The Beautiful Game" here? I saw the original production in London and loved it... 

AnnieBlack
#19Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:35pm

I was a 14 year old phantom freak when it the show came out in NYC and got the aspects of love London cast album before it came to NYC- it is a show that, as a score, is quite good- on stage, it is quite bad. 

jo
#20Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:44pm

MichelleCraig said: "I know I'm veering off topic here, but are there any fans of "The Beautiful Game" here? I saw the original production in London and loved it... 

"

I saw it in London, too, and I thought it was one of the saddest and most poignant musicals I have ever seen.  The focus on the theme of sectarian violence in Northern Ireland and the plight of Irish immigrants ( as they leave their homeland for political and economic reasons, sung in the poignant song GOD'S OWN COUNTRY ) were signs of the times that provoked such an emotional reaction.  The score is not my favorite ALWebber but it is the book itself which was haunting.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#21Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 10:35pm

Of the ALW shows I've seen, Aspects of Love is the worst. I saw it at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philly. Beautiful music, but it's a pity he didn't write more than 5 melodies.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#22Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 10:36pm

Marianne2 said: "I'll also admit to almost laughing at an inappropriate moment."

I'm a massive Phantom fan, but I kind of want to know what moment, Marianne... Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#23Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 10:50pm

Worst is definitely Cats. I was just looking at his recordings on my iTunes and the only one I truly thoroughly enjoy and respect is Evita. Each of the rest have their flaws, but Cats has only one non-flaw (Memory).

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

broadwayguy91
#24Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 10:57pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Marianne2 said: "I'll also admit to almost laughing at an inappropriate moment."

I'm a massive Phantom fan, but I kind of want to know what moment, Marianne... Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)

"

i wonder if it's the part where Christine rips the Phantom's mask off..

10086sunset
#25Worst ALW show (besides Love Never Dies)
Posted: 8/4/16 at 11:11pm

The Woman in White.

Videos