News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for chicolini

chicolini Profile Photo
Member Name: chicolini
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Sweeney Todd will open wide Dec. 21  Aug 28 2007, 09:43:28 AM
"The hope is that "Sweeney" will be the sort of signature role for Depp that Captain Jack Sparrow in Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise was."

I can't wait for Sweeney Todd II, where Toby is paired with a grizzled old police officer and the two overcome their many humorous differences while solving crime and learning a little something about life along the way.

re: Young Frankenstein face price is $451 on weekends  Jun 22 2007, 12:15:28 PM
What I still don't understand is that people are acting like these prices are set in stone forever and Brooks will get what's coming to him because nobody will pay those rates.

If nobody pays that, they can cut prices. They won't just close the show at the first hint of trouble.

But if the show sells out at these prices, $451 could be a bargain compared to later increases.

re: Young Frankenstein face price is $451 on weekends  Jun 22 2007, 10:53:46 AM
As long as people are willing to pay for it, ticket prices will go up. Is it fair? Probably not, but I don't blame them for trying.

Foster's right about the questionable source, though. Let's wait to see what actual posted prices are before we bring out the Mel Brooks effigy. (Did we even get it cleaned up after the last burning?)

re: West Side Story Question  Jun 13 2007, 10:52:13 AM
Until you rent it, check out Stage Agent - it'll give a synopsis and some character info.

re: hardest/worst/almost impossible show to adapt to screen...  May 29 2007, 07:31:41 AM
SeanMartin - you cheated! How dare you mention shows that didn't open in the last few years?!?

end snark.

re: Avenue Q Picketer  May 9 2007, 11:24:46 AM
Hey don't automatically count the old folks out! I finally got around to seeing Avenue Q a few months ago and we were sitting next to an older couple (probably late 60s, early 70s in age). We were in the middle of the row and I figured we'd be halfway through the first act before they stormed out, disgusted.

Nope, they (the man in particular) laughed and seemed to thoroughly enjoy the show. He even turned to my husband at intermission and started chatting about how hysterical he tho

Worst Idea I've Heard in a Long Time  May 8 2007, 11:00:20 AM
Just use finger puppets instead!
re: Mugged on my way to Coram Boy  Apr 25 2007, 10:37:50 AM
It was YOU, wasn't it Borstal?!

Borstalboy with the candlestick on 8th.

Seriously though, glad you weren't hurt and thanks for the reminder to be aware of our surroundings no matter how "safe" the area.

re: How do we stop Ticketmaster?  Apr 18 2007, 02:53:14 PM
The simple answer is they do it because they can. People are willing to pay for these perks, so theatres will charge accordingly.

Is it fair? No, but neither is life.

re: How do we stop Ticketmaster?  Apr 18 2007, 02:45:09 PM
Fosse, so by your argument someone with bad credit should get the same mortgage rates and other financial perks that someone with good credit gets? Then where is the incentive to pay your bills on time and not max out your cards, etc.?

It's a perk for being a good customer of Amex or Visa, not something discriminatory. Are there really that many low income/bad credit people that are clamoring for center orchestra seats to Broadway shows?

re: Pirate Queen on THE VIEW today!  Apr 17 2007, 12:30:32 PM
Yeah, that was pretty funny. They've just finished a ballad and are looking deep into each others eyes when WHAM! On comes the dancing!
Here's the complete WSJ Review  Apr 6 2007, 05:13:33 PM
Sueleen, I posted a line or two from Wall St. Journal's review. I was locked out of their online site earlier today, but will try again to access it and post the whole review.

Teachout can usually find something positive to say, but he really struggles with PQ.

Edit: thanks Kringas. I couldn't remember my password for the online journal.

re: The Pirate Queen Reviews  Apr 6 2007, 11:23:10 AM
Wow, Terry Teachout in today's WSJ was harsh. I don't have the full article electronically, but I read the print review and it included lines like:

"It starts out dumb, then gets dumber, and at no time does anything other than preposterous ever take place on stage or in the orchestra pit. If it were somewhat shorter, it might actually be worth seeing, but at two and a half hours, I can’t recommend it in good faith to anyone who isn’t (A) a full-fledged hit-me-again masochist and/or (B)

re: What Do I Take My Date to See  Apr 4 2007, 06:19:34 PM
Whichever show you pick, relax and enjoy yourself. This guy obviously likes you and wants to spend time with you, so don't worry that this one experience will make or break his potential life-long love affair with theatre.

Make it a fun day and plan for dinner afterwards where you can talk about the show - what you each liked or didn't like about it. This can help you narrow down what he would like to see next time around. If you make it a fun enough experience, there will be a next

re: Charity Auction: Sweeney Todd revival goodies!  Apr 4 2007, 01:00:03 PM
Would it be better if he just threw it out? At least this way a charity got some money and a fan got some memorabilia.

You might slave over your gift, but I can pretty much guarantee the actor you send it to will look at it, go "awwww, how cute/creepy", then file it away to get pitched at a later date.

This isn't his kid's first drawing from kindergarten, it's stuff from total strangers he'll likely never meet again. Maybe you have unlimited storage space for things like this

re: Summertime  Apr 3 2007, 01:28:59 PM
I think Bess sings it later in the opera though, too. Clara sings it to open the show and after other things happen (left vague not to spoil the show), Bess sings a reprise.
re: Picture of Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd  Mar 28 2007, 12:22:13 PM
Thanks. I still don't like him (Depp), but done right I think he can scare the sh!t out of me in this role. His eyes are so freakin' intense!
re: Picture of Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd  Mar 28 2007, 11:09:21 AM
Going back to the lack of presence comment from last page, I'd agree that I can't see Depp as a stage Sweeney, but I think he has the intensity for a movie version.
I'm not a big fan of his work, but he does command attention on camera.

re: Audra McDonald co-hosting The View right now  Mar 20 2007, 12:12:55 PM
Yeah, that was an interesting transition: Abu Ghraib and torture to Bea Arthur and Maude.
re: A Message to Parents - Please Do Not Bring Your Little Children To The  Mar 8 2007, 11:22:09 AM
The only problem with not bringing kids to the theatre/opera/orchestra/whatever is that they grow up to be the annoying adult audience members we always complain about. It's good to socialize kids and teach them how to behave in certain situations.

I don't know that I'd jump straight into a three hour opera with a young child, but start with local children's theatres and work up from that. In my community orchestra it is common to see kids at our open dress rehearsal. People bring

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You