News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for inception

inception Profile Photo
Member Name: inception
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 8 2024, 09:56:24 AM

Jordan Catalano said: "Oh another thing I didn’t get - the “fat Elvis” at the party at the end. If the potion makes you the best and most beautiful version of yourself, why is this version of Elvis there?"

Good question. I watched the film this past weekend for the first time since the 90's. In the film Elvis is dressed like he did in the 70's, but he's not obese.  The film also gives us Andy Warhol, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, &

The Public announces 2024-2025 Season including Gatz, Sumo, premieres, and more  May 7 2024, 02:54:05 PM

Meh.

Sheridan Smith Staring in new Rufus Wainwright/Ivo Van Hove Musical OPENING NIGHT in London  May 7 2024, 09:16:25 AM

King of the f-boys Rufus Wainwright blames Brexit for his show's failure:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/article/2024/may/07/rufus-wainwright-blames-uk-narrow-outlook-after-brexit-for-opening-nights-flop

ILLINOISE Reviews  May 6 2024, 09:56:14 AM

Is Martha Graham's Appalachian Spring a musical or a ballet?

While it also sold out its initial New York run in 1944, it never moved to Broadway, so audiences never faced this similar dilemma. Also it is significantly shorter, at just over 30 minutes.  But it unquestionably tells a clear story.

So is it a longer runtime, or the addition of vocalists, that turn Illinoise into a musical instead of remaining classified as a ballet?

Not having seen it for myself

Any luck moving to a closer, empty seat once you’re in the theatre?  May 5 2024, 08:00:31 AM

I have purchased cheap rear mezz seats for shows that turned out to be poor sellers.  Just did thst last month at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion in LA for the very poorly sold opera double bill of "rediscovered operas" AKA stuff no one wants to see.  (Thst program must have lost them hundreds of thousands of dollars.)  The entire lower mezz was empty so I moved as soon as the lights went down.  People beside me in the upper mezz looked at

Next Sondheim?  May 4 2024, 11:06:35 AM

Play Esq. said: "Is this guy reliable?"

So weird.  Why would anyone use this guy to leak info?  And if it is true, who would want it leaked like this?

re: What Times Square Area Buildings Use To Be Theaters?  May 4 2024, 04:32:27 AM

How interesting. Here's the Wikipedia article about the Klaw, later renamed the Avon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaw_Theatre

I have done most of the Broadway Up Close walking tours over various trips to New York, and they do a good job of bringing to life tye city's history.  I find it so fascinating to imagine going to some (I can't remember which exactly now) that had rooftop nightclubs where the entertainment carried on after the shows finished.  Nowadays, even in "tye city that never sleeps" when you Google for late night entertainment there really isn't a great deal.  A few jazz clubs,  and the couple comedy clubs in the Village with late night shows on the weekends.  But nothing really classy like in all the old movies.  Imagine if William Powell & Myrna Loy just went to Junior's for cheesecake. 

What’s going on at Second Stage?  May 2 2024, 07:28:47 PM

Braniff Forever said: "I go to each play that shows at the Hayes Theatre, and I’ve noticed they have not announced any new shows for Fall 2024 and Spring 2025?

It is only May 2nd.  Most of the non-profits haven't announced their next seasons. Not The Public, The Atlantic, NYTW, or CSC.  By the end of June we will probably know more what's coming for next season.

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 2 2024, 12:05:17 PM

Is Williams the Isabella Rossellini character from the film?

FLAHOOLEY Revival?  May 1 2024, 09:12:14 PM

Sounds a month late.  Today is May 1st not April 1st.

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  May 1 2024, 09:17:37 AM

pe·des·tri·an
noun
a person walking along a road or in a developed area.

Wow! & they make such a big deal about having a car!

(Insert Name or Show) Was Robbed!  Apr 30 2024, 05:42:25 PM

Definitely feels like the knives are out for Eva & Jeremy in GG.

It's like they’re being punished for being celebrities and in a hit show.

2024-2025 Touring Season  Apr 29 2024, 12:52:55 PM

Yes could be.

2025 is still a long way off, but I had such a good time in LA this past March that I want to go back, just not sure when.  It might be nice to be there during the season when there are concets at Hollywood Bowl.

Next time I might stay for a bit in Pasadena, as seems shorter drive to Downtown, & I want to visit Huntington Library and the Norton Simon.  I stayed part of my last trip at Manhattan Beach,  and then when I went to the opera at Dorothy

2024-2025 Touring Season  Apr 29 2024, 10:28:26 AM

If it was & Juliet, why would they hold off on announcing?  The rest of that tour's schedule is out.  It looks like it won't be able get to LA until late September or October 2025 as all Summer '25 is set.

I wonder if it is something else that hasn't yet announced its tour?

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 27 2024, 01:50:06 PM

Who would you cast?

FORBIDDEN BROADWAY Coming to Broadway This Summer?  Apr 26 2024, 08:35:35 PM

macnyc said: "I’m so sorry to hear Forbidden Broadway won’t be going on as scheduled. Does that mean the Hayes will be vacant? It seems to me that the Hayes would have been perfectfor Oh, Mary!, a much better match than the Lyceum."

But the Hayes is primarily 2nd Stages subscription house & likely has things booked for Fall.  If Mary sells well it will continue to extend as long as it keeps selling.

Buena Vista Social Club at Atlantic Theater Company  Apr 25 2024, 09:55:58 AM

Ok I misunderstood what "offers out" means, as I don't work in the theatre industry. 

Buena Vista Social Club at Atlantic Theater Company  Apr 25 2024, 04:21:25 AM

Reported earlier today here on BWW & over at Plsybill of a notice for Equity auditions for a potential Fall Broadway remount.  It looks like they are re-casting everyone?

With Justin Peck's Illinoise getting so much attention, perhaps that buzz could help this as well.

I missed this at X-mas as I think I remember they didn't do a matinee on x-mas eve, so I saw Gardens of Anuncia instead ( it was sweet little show).  The last spot I had available that t

ILLINOISE Reviews  Apr 24 2024, 03:08:01 PM

Every off-Bwy show: "It's so good, but it's selling out & I can't see it (again).  It should move to Bwy!"

Show moves to Bwy: "This will be such a mistake.  It will never sell. Everything that made it great will get lost in a bigger space."

Idina Menzel announces Take Me Or Leave Me tour  Apr 24 2024, 01:21:45 PM

I have plans for this summer to visit Santa Fe Opera & return home the weekend she plays Chicago & Pittsburg.  When I read carolinaguy's comment about the Midnight musical I looked at what changing my plans would cost - flying to Chicago on Southwest from Albuquerque,  then the Sunday flying home from Chicago.  BUT then I saw that Midnight actually is scheduled to close the weekend before.  So I left my August pla

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You