News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MrsSallyAdams

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
Member Name: MrsSallyAdams
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Need Song for 2 boys and 1 girl for Competition  May 8 2024, 10:43:13 AM

Dear Evan Hansen's trios could be rearranged for this. Requiem, Sincerely Me and Good for You. 

Newsies: Watch What Happens reprise

And a few more classics:

No Way to Stop It from The Sound of Music

That's Entertainment & Triplets from The Bandwagon

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 8 2024, 08:52:42 AM

Balcony Club, one of the dancers last night was wearing considerably more clothes than others during the mansion scenes as well. I wondered if he was a swing that they hadn't fitted for a custom leotard yet?

EDIT: I suppose this could also be so that they can quick change into other roles in adjacent scenes.

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 8 2024, 07:01:40 AM

The song "All for the Gaze (Gays)" bothers me. For one, it lets Hilty be upstaged. It keeps her in the wings too long for costume changes. Then asks us to drool over the stripping chorus boys. Madeline's desperate for attention and our eyes should be on her. 

Two, should this show be all for the gays? I've avoided rewatching the film prior to the show. But I've listened to several podcasts where women break down the feminist and social

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 8 2024, 06:42:15 AM

Death Becomes Her is fast and funny. The leading ladies are giving Charles Busch worthy drag performances. The sexy chorus is Broadway Bares ready. The show is true to the spirit of the film without slavishly imitating it.

Unfortunately, it carries over the film’s weaknesses. It is utterly heartless. There’s no attempt to flesh out the central relationships. Who are these people? What do they want? Madeline’s a familiar type. But Helen’s a diff

ILLINOISE Rev  Apr 26 2024, 03:32:41 PM

Bobster, I'd missed that NYT dance review. A very different perspective.

"Peck, the resident choreographer of New York City Ballet, has been creating community dances that smell like teen spirit for ages. But what started out as a choreographic signature, in which he drew on the talents of ballet dancers around his own age, has become tired. His choreography, especially since the pandemic, has lost its way, its beat, its spine...

The movement in “Illinoise” is vague, placing more importance on shapes than on fully dimensional choreography... These are all accomplished dancers, but they can’t elevate choreography that seems reminiscent of 1980s music videos."

‘Illinoise’: A Place of Overflowing Emotion, but Little Dance Spirit - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

THE GREAT GATSBY Opening Night Critics’ Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 07:15:39 AM

" Nick and Jordan are now explicitly heterosexual, have sex, and get engaged." ~ Variety
'The Great Gatsby' Review: Broadway Musical Has Glamour, No Grit (variety.com)

Well so much for 99 years of queer theory. Sounds like I'm not part of their target audience.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 23 2024, 11:10:20 AM

Ernst considers Cliff gullible and (in modern adaptations) is sexually attracted to him. The casting adds some questions but the basic motivation is still there.

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Opening Night Critics’ Revies  Apr 23 2024, 10:35:09 AM

Re Marketing: I'd initially assumed this was a Huey Lewis bio-musical. Skimming the reviews now and I'm not sure what the "hook" is. The plot sounds vaguely like that of The Wedding Singer. (80's blue collar guy gets a corporate job he hates to impress a woman who's engaged to a yuppie.)

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 12:24:36 PM

It sounds like there's some audience confusion as to how "literally" to take the Emcee and Kit Kat Chorus. Hal Prince saw them as metaphors. Bob Fosse as sex workers and pimps. Sam Mendes as queer artists who were victimized. This production seems to be going back to the "metaphor for Berlin." If a chorus person dresses flamboyantly in act one and then conservatively in act two, it's not saying Fritzi the showgirl suddenly embraced fascism on her day off.

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 07:11:17 AM

Mordden, Ethan, (2001), Open a New Window, page 157

On the original production in 1966

"The critics didn't get the show. A few responded to the sheer theatricality of the event, but the ones with intellectual pretensions were thrown by the paradoxes, the seriousness of the spree. A unique work is seldom understood when new. Critics prefer an important work to be the ninth or tenth of its line...

A few of them bashed (Jill) Haworth,

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 21 2024, 10:44:25 PM

I can remember the 90's when detractors accused Sam Mendes of stomping out all the subtext and making the cabaret unappealing from the start. It sounds like this production tries to dial up the ugly aspects of the show to a greater extreme.

At this point the next revival would surprise everyone if it was sensual and well sung. 

Shows that were considerably changed after their Broadway run  Apr 21 2024, 09:06:20 PM

Seussical was scaled down.
Bat Boy and Heathers swapped out new songs for their London productions.

Sam Mendes to direct new Jack Thorne-penned play about the Richard Burton/John Gielgud 'Hamlet'  Apr 21 2024, 07:18:58 AM

I started a new thread for The Motive and the Cue by mistake. The lack of title in the subject line means it didn't pop up in my search. Here were my thoughts in case the extra thread gets deleted.

Both actors capture the voices of the stars. Flynn's having a grand time portraying Burton's hamminess. But there are no stakes. Burton's at the peak of his career and will clearly find more work regardless if the play succeeds. The big revelation that

The Motive and the Cue  Apr 21 2024, 07:16:18 AM

Thank you. I'm not sure why this wasn't appearing. I appreciate the link.

Mods are welcome to delete this thread if it's in the way.

Cock play. Broadwa  Apr 21 2024, 07:15:17 AM

I saw a regional production of this and was curious what others thought of the play. This thread was, understandably, focused on the casting. But I was disappointed by how little the script had to say about sexuality, social acceptance of bisexuals, and the different expectations placed on same sex vs. m/f relationships. If it was updated today there'd also be talk of polyamory and open relationships. 

It's really about a submissive man who's grown tired of his relatio

The Motive and the Cue  Apr 21 2024, 07:05:14 AM

Saw the National Theatre Broadcast of The Motive and the Cue. Written by Jack Thorne. Directed by Sam Mendes.

The play focuses on the clash between John Gielgud (Mark Gatiss) and Richard Burton (Johnny Flynn) during rehearsals for Hamlet in 1964. Both actors capture the voices of the stars. Flynn's having a grand time portraying Burton's hamminess. But there are no stakes. Burton's at the peak of his career and will clearly find more wo

THE GREAT GATSBY Broadway Previews  Apr 18 2024, 12:40:43 PM

A name I didn't see often in Gatsby reviews was Frank Wildhorn. He's known for taking classic novels and stuffing them with radio friendly power ballads. Does Gatsby's score compare? 

Operation Mincemeat Musical - London  Apr 15 2024, 11:13:20 AM

The cast album is making a poor first impression. All character voices and exposition. It seems like a show that would work better live.

THE GREAT GATSBY Broadway Previews  Apr 13 2024, 10:48:29 PM

Does the show allow for a GBQ reading of Nick? The films all cut Nick's ambiguous hook up with Mr. McKee but some lean into the idea that he's more infatuated with Gatsby than with Jordan Baker. 

Reimagined Peter Pan - anyone seen it?  Apr 3 2024, 11:32:35 PM

Saw the new Peter Pan tour. It's kid friendly without the violence or romantic undercurrents of some of the darker film versions. The young man playing Peter is basically channeling an asexual Jack Kelly. The songs sit well on his voice and he performs mid-air somersaults with aplomb. The tween girls screamed for him at the curtain call. 

The new book muddles Wendy's arc by making her too overpowered at the start. A sword fighting med student feminist with an iPad. Setting

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You