News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MrsSallyAdams

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
Member Name: MrsSallyAdams
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
 Jun 21 2024, 11:50:37 AM

Brendon Henderson of "Wait in the Wings" gives a spoiler filled analysis of ART's Gatsby. He argues that Myrtle has been fleshed out at the expense of the other characters. 

A Tale of Two Gatsby (Musicals)... - YouTube

Spring awakening is cooked
 Jun 21 2024, 07:22:42 AM

A show about teens being mistreated by sexually repressed adults may be preaching to the choir when it performs for a liberal U.S. theater audience. But it still, sadly, applies to conservative behavior in large swaths of the world. The folks who need it are the ones who are less likely to see it.

The 2018 television series Rise attempted to dramatize this. A small town drama teacher attempted to produce a production at his high school. The teens, particularly the ones playing the gay

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 18 2024, 03:37:05 PM

You could stream it on Tik Tok and feature the cast of Broadway Bares and you'd attract some new viewers. But you'd still be dealing with the fact that this is an award show. Winners will be announced, come up to the stage, and give a speech. If people don't care about that part, there's no reason to watch the full ceremony live. 

The 77th Annual TONY Awards Performances
 Jun 17 2024, 09:53:45 AM

Sound Issues: I lost lyrics in Like Water for Elephants and Stereophonic.

Vocal Issues: The cast sounded tired in Tommy. Either that or the song was too high for them.

Bad Medleys: The Outsiders crammed two songs badly together, then rushed to an out of context fight. The latter made the biggest impression, even if it was a bit camp. Part of it's the source material. I can't take dance

Jun 14 2024, 09:31:14 AM

This sounds promising. 

Terry Byrne, The Boston Globe: Full disclosure: The Great Gatsby was not my favorite Fitzgerald novel. Nick's narration always kept me at arm's length from what seemed to me shallow, grasping characters. But Majok, who writes so eloquently of striving and struggle when the odds are stacked against you, finds the complex center of these individuals, digging into the desires that drive them. And Welch and Bartlett tap into Welch's uncanny ability to tell stories in songs that build to sweeping vocal crescendos while imbuing lyrics with tender emotion. The songs amplify Majok's storytelling, which plays fast, but not too loose, with Fitzgerald's text, following through on suggestions of Nick's homosexuality, making the golfer Jordan more interesting with her own gender fluidity, and heightening the tension between Tom and Daisy and the raw, physical desire between both Tom and Myrtle and Daisy and Gatsby.

Review Roundup: GATSBY Makes its World Premiere at A.R.T. (broadwayworld.com)

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews
 Jun 13 2024, 05:01:17 PM

Chris Jones snubs this revival again in his new column.

2024 Tony Awards: Best musical is a guessing game, but not all the deserving were nominated – Chicago Tribune

"I say the [Tony] nominating committee, which bizarrely nominated the wretched, decontextualized and spectacularly overpriced revival of "Cabaret" in many categories when only Steven Skybell and Bebe Neuwirth were actually any good, should reacquaint itself with genuine feeling, which is why folks shell out the big bucks to come to the "Cabaret."

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadway
 Jun 13 2024, 11:09:43 AM

I'm still on the fence as to whether to attend this. I've seen two other productions and found the material underwhelming.

Petula Clark gave a U.S. tour in 2000 opposite Lewis Cleale. Clark played Norma as crass and angry, only turning on the glamor during her key songs. Cleale was directed to speak a lot of Joe's lyrics. Both were upstaged by their Max who sang with a booming opera-trained voice.

Hollis Resnik starred in a 2019 Chicago production. It was one

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - 1st National Tour
 Jun 11 2024, 02:57:16 PM

I'm curious to see if the touring actors will play into the queer subtext. James Romney and Brady Dalton Richards played the Albus / Scorpius relationship as a romance when I saw the show on Broadway.
James Romney and Brady D. Richards, 1-Part Version of Harry Potter Cursed Child [Full Interview] (youtube.com)

Kritzer will perform Lady Of The Lake “Farewell Tour” at Joe’s Pub
 Jun 7 2024, 11:44:05 AM

I'm surprised Kritzer hasn't been promoted more aggressively for her Spamalot role. Ramierz was everywhere in 2005. The message was that The Lady of the Lake was "the" breakout performance of the season. Revisiting the cast album, I see that the lyrics for the Lady's songs aren't particularly amusing. It's more about the mugging and the belting. 

Jun 7 2024, 06:39:47 AM

An amateur review on Reddit has been removed. I'm guessing the embargo is still up.

Your thoughts on the 2010 Promises, Promises revival
 Jun 6 2024, 07:06:50 AM

Well sung. But the show itself hasn't aged as well as the Wilder film. There's just no reason to invest in the central relationship. The leading lady lacks agency. She's simply battered between her predatory boss and her entitled "nice guy" co-worker for 2 and a half hours.

Andrew Scott to bring one-man Uncle Vanya to West End
 May 30 2024, 10:15:48 AM

I really enjoyed the broadcast of this. I'm glad I'd seen the play before as the mid-stretch got confusing. But it's a joy to watch Andrew Scott giving 100%.

SARAH BRIGHTMAN To Star in Australian SUNSET BLVD.
 May 30 2024, 09:26:42 AM

It's odd reading Brightman's negative reviews next to her good ones. They cynic in me thinks some critics just "wanted" this to be good through sheer force of will.

"This was a major get for Australia and the pay-off is her mesmerising voice and performance. I still get chills thinking of her singing." Sarah Brightman Makes A Stunning Return To Stage In Melbourne For Sunset Boulevard #REVIEW — Noise11.com | News |

"Highlights are the solo performances from Sarah Brightman, who fills the Princess with her haunting operatic vocals. " scenestr - Review: Sunset Boulevard @ Princess Theatre (Melbourne)

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
 May 24 2024, 10:21:19 AM

Now that Gatsby has extended, there will be an overlap with previews for Kristen Chenoweth's Queen of Versailles. I'm tempted to fly to Massachusetts and make it a double feature. 

Tom Holland Will Star in ROMEO & JULIET in London's West End
 May 24 2024, 10:17:59 AM

The reviews are giving me "Slings and Arrows" vibes. Darren Nichols liked to suck all the emotion and coherence out of his stage productions too. 

I am Darren Nichols; deal with THAT. (youtube.com)

How is Jinkx Monsoon as Audrey.
 May 24 2024, 10:15:33 AM

Audrey is such a tricky part. I've come to the conclusion that Ellen Greene's performance makes her seem more interesting and important than she is. In the stage productions I've seen the actress either channels Greene or underplays in an attempt to avoid Greene. Audrey has no agency, and on stage her fate is much sadder than it is in the (standard edit) of the film. Her songs don't pop without Greene's surprise belt. She can end up feeling like a drip.

What is the BEST Show You Have Seen on Broadway
 May 24 2024, 10:00:38 AM

The Producers - 2002 - Original Broadway Cast - Broderick was already on auto-pilot, making the opening scenes drag. Once Gary Beach and Cady Huffman arrived it flew to musical theater heaven.

Hello Dolly - 2018 - Bernadette Peters seemed uncomfortable reproducing Midler's schtik. But she made a meal of the dramatic monologues. And the staging was gorgeous. The arrangement of "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" brought on the waterworks.

The Boys in the Band (2018) a

THE OUTSIDERS to release cast album on May 22
 May 22 2024, 10:58:18 AM

The album's very samey on a first listen. It's got the same "wailing ballads over soft guitars" vibe as Water for Elephants.  It seems that Dallas gets the most active songs as he's making concrete choices in each of them. While Ponyboy stays in "I Am a Camera" mode for much of it. I can see why some fans ship Ponyboy and Johnny when they harmonize about sharing a "love that few have known." It's hard to translate platonic

Heathers and Mean Girls about to be running on West End at same time
 May 21 2024, 07:24:30 PM

I think Zanna Don't's plot (straight kids are discriminated against so they turn the gay kids straight) wouldn't play well today. The conversation about sexuality has shifted and Zanna's satire could read tone deaf today.

Heathers and Mean Girls about to be running on West End at same time
 May 21 2024, 07:20:04 PM

The Heathers pro-shot is a decent representation of the show. But it lacks the zazz of the Off-Broadway production. They made some changes to the score that I don't love. And it was already a lumpy score.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You