News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MadPhan

MadPhan Profile Photo
Member Name: MadPhan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Review of "The Addams Family" 11/28 (May Contain Spoilers! Proceed With Ca
 Nov 28 2009, 11:10:10 PM
I am currently in Chicago for the Thanksgiving holiday and was able to get tickets. I thought I would share what I thought of the show. Please note that
First off, I should start off by saying that this is the first show I can remember seeing without any prior knowledge of the plot or music. It was interesting experiencing it for the first time in the theater. AT intermission, I couldn't wait to see what happened next!
The first thing I would like to say is that the cast was great!

re: Photo Flash: First Picture of Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs' New Son
 Sep 16 2009, 06:09:02 PM
Aw! What a sweet baby! I am so happy for them both. A great picture, too. They just look so happy.
re: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs Welcome Son
 Sep 3 2009, 09:20:40 AM
That's awesome! A new baby is always great news! Congrats to them both!
Hilarious Comments...
 Mar 2 2009, 07:21:04 AM
At a local theatre, in the preshow announcement;
"If you must eat candy, please keep the wrapper on."
I think every single person in the audience was laughing.

Overrated--by WHOM?
 Feb 1 2009, 09:08:02 PM
I don't think they are talking about this thread in particular, just the fact that people will go onto treads supporting performers and shows they dislike, JUST to put it down.
re: Nothing really important on Broadway these past 35 years?
 Jan 26 2009, 07:45:42 PM
Oh, I don't mind at all! I am actually very proud of where I go to school! I go to Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI.
 Jan 26 2009, 07:45:41 PM
Oh, I don't mind at all! I am actually very proud of where I go to school! I go to Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI.
 Jan 23 2009, 09:21:50 PM
Good point. The classes are and hour and 15 minutes each.
 Jan 23 2009, 07:19:03 PM
PalJoey; Oh, believe me; I know how lucky I am to be in this class! It is already my favorite. I didn't mean to give the impression that I didn't like the class or the professor. I just thought the comment was interesting and wanted to see what other Broadway fans thought.
JoeKv99; I understand what your saying, but I don't think that is the case. This wasn't in a discussion or anything like that, just going over what the schedule is.
As for my schedule...
Day 1; Overview of course <

Jan 22 2009, 10:08:52 PM
jasonf; Actually he has made it clear he is a BIG Sondheim fan. I think maybe the timeline is a bit off. We have a whole class scheduled to be all Sweeney. Also a whole period on Sondheim. I also don't plan on dropping the course. I think he is smart and I am learning a lot already, as I have said before. I just think he might not be giving enough credit to the importance of recent musical theatre history. By the way; thanks for all the comments. It's interesting to get everyone else's opinion o
 Jan 22 2009, 08:48:18 PM
Actually, he started the first classes with the opening of ACL and ended it with "One." He also showed a clip from LVB and LMC from Rent when talking about opera and it's influences. I think he is smart and knows his stuff, I am really learning alot about musical theatre, he just seems discredits a lot of the more recent stuff as fluff, which isn't always the case IMO. He made it clear the first class that he is NOT an ALW fan, for example. Fine, but that doesn't mean his works haven't influence
 Jan 22 2009, 08:10:29 PM
That's another thing... the timing is all off with regards to certain shows! There is a whole day devoted to Sweeney. It also notes Hair and Falsettos scheduled for the next day.

Nothing really important on Broadway these past 35 years?
 Jan 22 2009, 06:55:48 PM
Okay, so I am taking a course this semester on the history of the musical in America. It's a really good course, I am already learning some very interesting stuff, but something my instructor said stuck out at me. When going through the syllabus, he was saying that he was devoting one day to the trends and developments in the past 35 years because, as he puts it, nothing really big has been going on.
Really? I think there are some MAJOR trends that have affected Broadway. The British musica

re: Is it just me or....
 Jan 19 2009, 11:02:05 PM
Oh, I don't mean to pick on him or anything like that! Sorry if it appeared like that... I love him and his work, it is just something I have noticed before and I was wondering if anyone one else here has as well. Doesn't mean I think any less of him or anything like that.
Is it just me or....
 Jan 19 2009, 10:50:58 PM
Does Sondheim, whenever you see pictures of him, have something weird going on with his eye. He looks like he's squinting or something. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?
this sounds terrible
 Jan 18 2009, 10:53:01 AM
These are funny! They remind me of the time when I was home over break when, passing a theatre in Minneapolis where Spring Awakening is coming on tour, I said "Oh, Spring Awakenings coming" and, when aked about it by my parents, the first thing I said was, "It's about a bunch of horny teenagers." I, of course, went on to mention about the time period and the whole society and repression aspects of it, but still...

Also; Sweeney Todd. A musical about a barber that goes insane and kills people and the women obsessed with him who makes meat pies out of the remains... Sure sounds like a crowd pleaser!

re: Sticking Foot in Mouth When Meeting Performers
 Nov 8 2008, 11:43:58 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only person to make a fool of themselves when meeting someone! Last year, Anthony Rapp gave a talk at my college and they gave people the chance to meet him and get autographs afterward. I was so excited and nervious I was just talking really fast and blathering on and on about how awesome he was! I must have seemed so stupid, but then I guess performers are used to people being starstruck...
re: Theater Manners
 Aug 25 2008, 03:23:27 PM
I can understand how people new to a theater experience may not always know the proper practices of a theater, such as whether or not to tip a helpful usher is polite, or how much clapping is polite after a song w/o throwing off timing and slowing down the action, etc. Those are things that are unique to the live theatre experience and how would you know about those things w/o experiencing them? The things she states, however, are just plain good manners. Showing up on time and turning cell phon
Broadway in Different Languages
 Aug 25 2008, 03:13:43 PM
I have been wondering for a while, since taking Spanish, how they translate shows into different languages. I know that shows go abroad and that they MUST be translated or else people won't go because they won't understand what is being said (I know I wouldn't shell out that kind of money to go to a show I wouldn't understand!), but how do they do that while still keeping true to the original content and music? Anyone have any experience with this?
re: Maybe someone here can help me?
 Jun 11 2008, 11:21:11 AM
Thanks! Wow, I can't believe I forgot that, as Rent is one of my favorite shows and I am usually good at remembering things like that! I know it probably seems stupid I asked but I'm sure you know the feeling that you've heard something before but just don't know where and how it nags at you.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You