News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for cryan71

Member Name: cryan71
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Hippest Trip: The Soul Train Musical
 Sep 11 2023, 01:54:14 AM

I just saw this.

The set, costumes, dancing, music, and actors are really on point.  The lighting is great, but there is a little too much shining in the audience.  This was a fun night of theater, and the sold-out audience was really into it.  When I got my tickets, there were tons of seats left a month before.  But word of mouth must be out because this was packed.

I think the part that needs a ton of editing is the book.  It doesn't set up the sto

Any reports on The Untitled Unauthorized Hunter S. Thompson Musical at La Jolla?
 Sep 4 2023, 04:51:11 AM

It was a mess and dragged.  I think Act 1 clocked in at 1 hour and forty minutes.  And annoyingly, it broke the fourth wall too much. Worst of all, it had no emotional core or payoff.  I didn't move me to care anymore about Hunter S. Thompson by the end of the show.

Most of the songs weren't memorable except the last song.

Though the set was visually interesting and well-lit.

I'm beginning to wonder if San Diego is a good place to try out shows

DANCIN' Previews
 Mar 7 2023, 11:40:10 AM

He's dead.  You don't speak for him.

DANCIN' Previews
 Mar 7 2023, 02:08:48 AM

We must have seen completely different shows.  I enjoyed it for what it was.  I'm not holding the dancers to some fictional, romanticized, unattainable standard.

DANCIN' Previews
 Mar 6 2023, 03:52:28 PM

I saw it in San Diego and thought it was great.  What specifically was sloppy?

LEOPOLDSDTADT Rush?
 Jan 16 2023, 09:05:27 PM

I got a seat through TDF, which was in Center Orchestra right on the aisle row M.  Great seat for $57.

Another Romeo & Juliet? This one with Pat Benatar's catalogue?!
 Dec 4 2022, 09:03:52 PM

It wasn't as bad as the above poster makes it out to be.  

It still needs work but that's what out of town tryouts are for.

I loved the new orchestrations of Benatar's songs.  The leads are very strong.  I liked the last 20 minutes, because the show really developed a rhythm.

The show just needs to decide what it is, a version with Shakespearean language. Or a modern or dystopian future interpretation.  It's not that clear. &n

ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
 Oct 4 2022, 06:16:52 PM

dave1606 said:

"My biggest issue has to do with why this exists. Cameron Crowe appears to have changed no aspect of the story other than to have original music here. His soundtrack to the original film is so iconic I wonder if maybe a jukebox musical would have been smarter. Tom Kitt’s score while pleasant, just isn’t very period, and to me just didn’t hold up to something like Tiny Dancer. The first opening song sounds like any other pop musical song fro

Jagged Little Pill tour- Pantages Hollywood
 Sep 18 2022, 08:22:25 PM

Where are you seeing these prices?

The Prom
 Aug 12 2022, 12:55:02 PM

Rarely tours have known names.  I know some plays do,but touring musicals rarely.  I think the only touring musical I've ever seen with a name was South Pacific with Robert Goulet in 1987.

And a tour of a failed Broadway show that didn't recoup its initial investment, expect the budget to be smaller.

I saw this tour and it was fun with energy.  I also saw ithe show on Broadway and thought the touring cast was equal.

Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY at Berkeley Rep - Previews & Reviews
 Mar 1 2022, 05:10:11 PM

I made a Spotify playlist 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4DcMhjuuis40rLoOnETIpQ?si=2e4e4b7eab8e468e

Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY at Berkeley Rep - Previews & Reviews
 Mar 1 2022, 05:10:11 PM

I made a Spotify playlist 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4DcMhjuuis40rLoOnETIpQ?si=2e4e4b7eab8e468e

Broadway/West End Cast Tiktokers
 Apr 2 2020, 12:35:06 PM
Cool. Also Nick Masson (the prom, newsies on tour) has one.
Broadway/West End Cast Tiktokers
 Apr 2 2020, 11:30:11 AM
I have noticed that now alot of the casts have more time, many have become pretty entertaining Tiktokers.

David Breeds is an Evan understudy for DEH west end

https://vm.tiktok.com/t8aQmN/

Any others you like?

MEAN GIRLS To Welcome Social Media Star Cameron Dallas For Four Week Run
 Dec 21 2019, 09:59:13 AM

beatofthedrum27 said: "I understand the dismay of many people on this board, trust me. I’m nervous about this just as much as the next one because I’m pretty sure that he can’t sing the role and with the little singing that Aaron does (which is one of the things that upsets me about the show), that’s saying something But you also have to understand that Cameron’s fan base and demographic are very specific, but they are also HUGE and VERY loyal. We’re talking about a kid who, just two years ago, SHUT DOWN MILAN FASHION WEEK because he tweeted a view from his hotel room and his fans spotted it and swarmed the street. Also, Cameron’s demographic is the main demographic for the mean girls brand. I understand that stunt casting isn’t good for the common working actor, but if they needed help with packing house and Kyle was already suppose to go on vacation, I can definitely wrap my mind around why the decision was made. And also, who knows, he could be great in the role. Only time will tell. Thanks for coming to my TedTalk "

His Milan Fashion week thing was in 2016, an eternity in social media.

So I have tools to deep dive in social media influencer numbers.  He has a very low 1.95% engagement rate on Instagram.  Of his 21 million Instagram followers, only 24% come from the United States.  Of his followers, only 392,193 on average take the time to like his pictures.  This matches his more recent videos which have 261,000 views (however, videos from 6 weeks ago have gone as high as 1.4 million views).  My guess is that out of that 21 million followers, 2 million are still fans.  His only YouTube video he's posted this year got 120K views.

They probably could have got more play out of Lil Huddy or Alex Ojeda from TikTok if they needed a social media e boy.

MEAN GIRLS To Welcome Social Media Star Cameron Dallas For Four Week Run
 Dec 19 2019, 10:49:55 PM
Is he still relevant? I haven't heard about him in years.
SpongeBob the Musical: Viewing Thread
 Dec 7 2019, 08:03:09 PM
Now I'm looking forward to seeing this on tour.
SpongeBob the Musical: Viewing Thread
 Dec 7 2019, 07:17:23 PM
Like that they shake the camera during the earthquakes.
Beetlejuice breaks Winter Garden Box Office Records
 Dec 3 2019, 01:17:04 AM

here is why it is popular with the gen z set:

TIK TOK

Snippets of the songs have more than 2 billion plays.

Ok Boomer?

Escape To Margaritaville Tour
 Nov 15 2019, 08:39:43 PM

This show is doing great on tour, especially with drunk Jimmy Buffet fans.  I still believe its broadway run should have been a limited-stop on a continual tour.  It's great for an audience that normally doesn't see Broadway shows.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You