pixeltracker

ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 1:44pm

THE YEAR IS 1973 AND IT’S ALL HAPPENING. Led Zeppelin is king, Richard Nixon is President, and idealistic 15-year-old William Miller is an aspiring music journalist. When Rolling Stone magazine hires him to go on the road with an up-and-coming band, William is thrust into the rock-and-roll circus, where his love of music, his longing for friendship, and his integrity as a writer collide. ALMOST FAMOUS is a hilarious and heartfelt celebration of community, family, fandom and the power of music.

Based on the 2000 film of the same name by Cameron Crowe, previews will begin on Monday, October 3 with opening night scheduled for November 3, 2022 at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre. 

Updated On: 11/3/22 at 01:44 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 1:58pm

It’s (finally) all happening!

Almost Famous features original music and lyrics by Tom Kitt, lyrics by Kitt and Cameron Crowe, and a book by Crowe. Sarah O’Gleby choreographs, and Jeremy Herrin directs.

Chris Wood, Anika Larsen, Solea Pfeiffer, Drew Gehling, Casey Likes, and Rob Colletti lead the cast. 

Who’s gonna be there on the scene?

Oh look, a bibu!

jacobsnchz14
#3ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 1:25pm

Now that we’ve taken in the Cinderella news from this morning at the Imperial, anyone hopping over across the street to the Jacobs tonight or later this week?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 1:29pm

If this gets good word of mouth I wonder if could be a surprise hit. The advance doesn’t look great and will quickly run out if word of mouth doesn’t spread, but it seems there is at least a little bit of interest there (cf. Akimbo)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#5ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 5:14pm

The "new" artwork suits the Playbill quite well:

ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#6ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 5:56pm

Anyone on here attending tonights first preview? Really curious about this one and eagerly awaiting reports.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 9:37pm

Intermission at what I think might be one of the best musicals I’ve seen in years. 

jacobsnchz14
Dan6
#9ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 10:05pm

Ready to grab tickets to this and would love to hear from Jordan or anyone else who was there tonight: side orchestra or front mezz?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 10:58pm

Hoping this one's good, as the film is good material for a musical.

The TikTok/Twitter mobsters had better not find out about Cameron Crowe's 2015 film ALOHA (in which he cast Emma Stone as a character who's 1/4 Chinese and 1/4 Hawaiian).

Jordan Catalano
#11ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 11:20pm

JFC, I loved every single second of this. It’s a perfect musical, just perfect. Walking home in the rain and will write more. 

Jordan Catalano
#12ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 11:54pm

Do you know how to take a film (one of the best films ever made) that is so centered around some of the best music ever made, ditch that music and write your own without losing what made that film so great? Cameron Crowe and Tom Kitt apparently do. 

Ever since hearing this was going to be a musical my thoughts were A) Interesting. A film about music certainly lends itself to the medium. B) This is a STUPID idea the film is about THAT music and you can’t mess with that. C) I can’t wait to see this. 

What they’ve done is kept two of the most important songs - “Tiny Dancer” and “Fever Dog” and a little bit of Joni Mitchell’s “River” and written a score that invokes the same feelings those other songs did and in a fantastic score that I can’t wait to hear again. 

This cast is also uniformly so perfect, evoking the looks of the actors who played them in the film (for the most part) and it works PERFECTLY. Crowe’s book is akin to Tina Dey’s masterful “Mean Girls” book, in the sense that everything that should be in there is there and what works on film but not on stage is adapted perfectly, and new material matches the old with that same perfection. 

I can’t wait to see this again next week. Seriously, I can’t wait. I might have to see if I can get in sooner. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#13ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 11:57pm

So great to hear that this sounds like it’s in solid shape! I’m eagerly awaiting my tickets for later this month.

How is Solea Pfeiffer as Penny? I’ve been a fan of hers for years and can’t believe she’s only now finally making her Broadway debut. Is the role on stage as great as it is in the film? It landed Kate Hudson her Oscar nomination so I’m curious if Solea could become Tony-nominated with her Broadway debut…!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#14ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 11:58pm

Curtain Call

Link

Updated On: 10/4/22 at 11:58 PM

Jordan Catalano
#15ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 12:00am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "
How is Solea Pfeiffer as Penny?“

Perfect. She 100% will get herself a Tony nomination. She brings the same vulnerability and sweetness that Hudson did (WHO WAS ROBBED OF AN OSCAR) and I’m so thrilled for her  

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#16ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 12:16am

What are the sets like? 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

SouthernCakes
#17ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 12:23am

Jordan Catalano said: "Do you know how to take a film (one of the best films ever made) that is so centered around some of the best music ever made, ditch that music and write your own without losing what made that film so great? Cameron Crowe and Tom Kitt apparently do.

You also raved about Beanie so I’m interested to hear other thoughts. 
Ever since hearing this was going to be a musical my thoughts were A) Interesting. A film about music certainly lends itself to the medium. B) This is a STUPID idea the film is about THAT music and you can’t mess with that. C) I can’t wait to see this.

What they’ve done is kept two of the most important songs - “Tiny Dancer” and “Fever Dog” and a little bit of Joni Mitchell’s “River” and written a score that invokes the same feelings those other songs did and in a fantastic score that I can’t wait to hear again.

This cast is also uniformly so perfect, evoking the looks of the actors who played them in the film (for the most part) and it works PERFECTLY. Crowe’s book is akin to Tina Dey’s masterful “Mean Girls” book, in the sense that everything that should be in there is there and what works on film but not on stage is adapted perfectly, and new material matches the old with that same perfection.

I can’t wait to see this again next week. Seriously, I can’t wait. I might have to see if I can get in sooner.
"

Jordan Catalano
#18ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 12:24am

I sat front mezz tonight (which was great) but I’m going to try to get as close to the stage as possible, as soon as I can. There’s quite a few great rock numbers that I want to be up as close as humanly possible. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#19ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 12:47am

Jordan, I have to take your praise with a grain of salt since you cited Tina Fey's MEAN GIRLS book and since you're a bigger fan of the film than most of us ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread but this is encouraging and I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Someone pondered its financial prospects, and I really don't know. Obviously the name value of the movie doesn't carry significant weight. But perhaps the rock sensibilities and a savvy ad campaign could bring in the JERSEY BOYS crowd. We shall see...but I think like any musical, it has a tough road ahead unless it gets absolute love letters from critics.

Jordan Catalano
#20ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 12:56am

Since I cited Fey’s “Mean Girls” book? I don’t understand the problem there. The musical itself is “meh” but what she did to the book, taking it from screen to stage was (I thought) perfection. 

As for the other comment, I really couldn’t care less if you’re “going to wait for others” - wait for them to what? I came on here to give my opinion on something, not convince you to buy tickets. I have no idea who you are and don’t care what you do with your money. So wait for other people. They might love it. They might hate it. After posting here for almost 20 years I don’t have a care to give if you like what I write or not. It’s just as easy to skip it (I do that all the time) and not spend the time copying/pasting my remarks just to let me know you don’t care. You think I care? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#21ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 12:56am

My gut says the show will likely get promising reviews overall from the critics, but alas, methinks a combination of our precarious financial situation and the still-uncertain pandemic will lower attendance figures and eventually sink this ship (same with most shows these days). I’m really hoping I will be proven wrong, but as with everything, we shall see. 

If it were 2017/18, maybe this title would build off good word of mouth, have a tidy 9-12 month run, and hopefully at the very least, come close to closing a modest hit. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 10/4/22 at 12:56 AM

Jordan Catalano
#22ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 1:02am

We shall see. I got out of the prediction game when theater reopened. None of it makes any sense to me anymore. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#23ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 9:05am

I am now really considering adding this to my list! I don't know when I will get a chance to see it, but the music sounds great from what I heard. Jordan is this worth the prices I saw on Telecharge? I just wanna be sure before I spend over $200 for a ticket (money is tight for me right now). 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#24ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 9:18am

Dylan Smith4 said: "I am now really considering adding this to my list! I don't know when I will get a chance to see it, but the music sounds great from what I heard. Jordan is this worth the prices I saw on Telecharge? I just wanna be sure before I spend over $200 for a ticket (money is tight for me right now)."

Maybe check TodayTix. Appears they have some discount tix. 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#25ALMOST FAMOUS On Broadway - P/reviews Thread
Posted: 10/4/22 at 10:25am

Psyched to see Jordan’s enthusiasm for this. We’ve got our tix for Monday Oct 24 figuring any new show could use a couple weeks of previews to  iron out any bumps (which Jordan suggests they’ve already done)— and just heads up that this show has Monday performances for most of its preview period. Win win. 

Videos