News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for HarryPotter01

HarryPotter01 Profile Photo
Member Name: HarryPotter01
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Is AMERICAN IDIOT theatre?
 Apr 3 2010, 03:55:26 AM
Sorry I'm replying and not letting the thread just die...which might have ben best, but...

The question I had after seeing it was this: Did I gain ANYTHING by seeing this as a musical performed on Broadway rather than as a concert performed by GreenDay, who were there the night I saw it? The answer, sadly, is no. As the non-theater-types who were with me said immediately following, "It wouldn't have been much different if GreenDay would have just gotten up and sang. I didn't really

re: New Duncan Sheik Musical, WHISPER HOUSE
 Oct 1 2008, 11:26:53 PM
Sorry, typo. My brain moves faster than the fingers.

I meant to say that while some of us can get down on fokls who try to have several projects going on at once, it's not actually a bad thing. The problem with the theatre isn't good writers having too many of their shows produced -- NOR is the problem that good actors have an exponential number of shows in which to show their work.

Anyway, I think the video is hilarious...lol...

Oct 1 2008, 11:04:43 PM
Guess he does. And, frankly, that's a good thing. The problem with the theatre isn't good writers writing getting too many shows produced -- OR good actors having waaaay too much work, you know?
 Oct 1 2008, 09:56:26 PM
So, I did a bit of investigating. There was a reading of NERO at Vassar over the summer. Not sure what's happening with it, but it is a different show. Not sure if Idina is in this piece. I believe she may be.
 Oct 1 2008, 09:20:26 PM
Not sure what's up with NERO. Maybe it's the same project, renamed? Not sure... How are things at SPRING AWAKENING these days? Anyone seen it recently?
New Duncan Sheik Musical, WHISPER HOUSE
 Oct 1 2008, 09:06:06 PM
I'm totally excited about this new musical! Keith Powell, who plays "Toofer" on "30 Rock", is directing the new Duncan Sheik musical. There's a hilarious video about it on youtube that I dig quite a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEzVhlY6BHY

HILARIOUS!

Marcy in the Galaxy with Donna Lynne Champlin
 Apr 6 2008, 07:01:46 PM
All right. I know that I haven't been on here in awhile, but I've been busy writing a new play. (Don't worry, I'm not writing to semi-anonymously push my own project -- I'll do that later. Promise!)

Here's the deal: I saw MARCY IN THE GALAXY last night. Donna Lynne Champlin is giving THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON. The reviews should begin coming in tonight, and I hope to G-d they support what I say, because OH MY, Oh My, OH MY!

THIS PERFORMANCE IS NOT TO BE MISSED! D

re: The Deceptive New GREY GARDENS Recording
 Apr 1 2007, 01:41:51 AM
The background "appearance" of cast members from the Off-Bway cast on the Bway recording could also be due to contractual obligations. While I obviously don't know the details and am merely speculating, I do know that there are certain rights of first refusal that are granted to all original cast member where all future recordings/Bway transfers are concerned. Depending on the terms of each off-bway actor's contract, it may have been prohibitively expensive to buy all of them out, and so, they
Who Do You Think Were Robbed Tonys?
 Mar 20 2007, 01:11:04 AM
Marla Schaffel definitely deserved the Tony over Ebersole that year. Christine Ebersole was very good, mind you, but that performance in JANE EYRE! My GOD!

Going back even further, Penny Fuller (she played the mother in A NEW BRAIN)...well, back in 1968 or so, she was Jill Haworth's cover for Sally Bowles in the original CABARET. When the positions were switched and Penny became Sally and Jill the standby (due to the uniformly negative reviews of Ms. Haworth) Penny was ineligible for

re: Catherine Walker - Awesome Mary Poppins!
 Mar 20 2007, 12:57:12 AM
I,too, saw the show on Sunday. Friends were in from out of town and thought it would be a good show to see. (I was pushing for GREY GARDEN, TALK RADIO, or JOURNEY'S END. I lost.)Having seen the show in previews with Ashley Brown, who I thought was perfectly adequate, I have to say that Catherine Walker was FREAKING AWESOME. I just believed her actions, and what she was doing more than I did when I saw it the first time. Her voice is like...buttah. Seriously. Dang girlfriend, record a CD!
re: American Theater Magazine
 Mar 20 2007, 12:52:20 AM
I get it. There are 10 issues/year, I beleive. One a month during the theatre season, and then they combine the months of June/July and August/September. Wendy Wasserstein's THIRD was in an edition a few months ago. Alright, it was more like a YEAR ago, I guess. But seriously, it's a WONDERFUL magazine. Not JUST for the scripts but because it gives insight into things that are happening all over that you won't receive anywhere else. Examples of this include Op Ed pieces written by Oskar E
re: THE PIRATE QUEEN - 3/16/07
 Mar 20 2007, 12:47:27 AM
WithoutATrace, you are, with out a doubt, one of the more stute and thorough reviewers on here. I have found much of what you've said about THE PIRATE QUEEN to be dead on. I have had to see the show...a number of times, and I am not hoping for it to close. While audiences ARE responding positively, other people are walking out. The one thing I do not agree with is the song "I'll Be There." It's REALLY good...until the final few bars when, out of nowhere, he goes into three or four measures
re: JOURNEY'S END is a must-see
 Mar 20 2007, 12:29:08 AM
Yes, it's AMAZING...no matter where you are sitting. I was in the last seat all the way off to the right in the last row of the Orch. And even though it took my eyes a BIT to adjust to the lack of light, It was just as gripping. I had to clench my gut to keep from audibly sobbing...

re: Rude People At The Theater! *gasp*
 Feb 25 2007, 02:21:43 AM
'Twas a particularly rainy saturday, a 4 show day of THE GRINCH. The audience was simply saturated and miserable. As the lights went down, a woman sitting the balcony took off her socks and hung them over the railing to dry. Four ushers descended upon her to tell her the obvious: The brass bar is not for your laundry...
re: A terrific TALK RADIO
 Feb 25 2007, 02:12:29 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is Simard? Educate me! Educate me!
 Feb 24 2007, 01:46:52 AM
"La Pedi" provides the voices for many of the female callers and like the rest of the (largely) off-stage voice-over actors, she is pretty great. [POSSIBLE SPOILER TO FOLLOW...] I'm not sure, but I believe it was "La Pedi" who does the call-in as the woman who is afraid to stick her hand down the garbage disposal. Very funny stuff...
 Feb 23 2007, 06:49:55 PM
I saw the show last night and like most of you, I LOVED IT -- and I'm still troubled (in the good way) by a lot in it, so please forgive if this isn't all fully formed...

First, I must agree with sidjones09: Liev Schrieber is probably giving the performance of the season. (Although, that honor probably goes to Christine Ebersole in GREY GARDENS, but that's a musical and she is a woman, so, there you are.) At any rate, he is stunning, and it frightened me how much he made me identify w

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You