A terrific TALK RADIO

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#1A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/17/07 at 5:32pm

In the age when the Rush Limbaughs and Ann Coulters of the world are more popular and more prevelant, Eric Bogosian's Talk Radio seems as relevant as ever. Robert Falls' crackling revival, currently previewing at the Longacre, is full of fun and livewire intensity. As Barry Champlain, a no-holds-barred shock jock whose Cleveland radio show is about to go national, Liev Schreiber has possibly turned in his best stage performance yet; he's galvanizing and engrossing, but never plays it too over the top. You believe every word he's saying, even when Bogosian's dialogue runs toward the ridiculous, and your eyes remain glued to him throughout the entire intermissionless 100 minutes of the show. He's ably supported by Peter Herrmann and Stephanie March, who delivers the "Barry Champlain is a nice place to visit..." monologue better than anyone I've ever heard before. I'm really loving the play revivals on Broadway this season; each one seems stronger than the last.
My blog

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#2re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/17/07 at 5:44pm

Thank you for posting your thoughts. I am seeing it next Saturday, the 24th, can't wait.

new_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
new_philosophy_girl
#2re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/18/07 at 10:05am

I just saw this play last night, it was terrific...some amazing satirical writing. I would just like to add that Liev Schreiber is one of the best stage actors we have out there right now.

Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#3re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/18/07 at 10:08am

this sounds amazing!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#4re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/18/07 at 12:18pm

wow. was i the only one who didn't like it? it'll be interesting to read other BWW reviews and the official reviews after it opens. i hope this doesn't turn out to be another play that I hate and critics love (history boys, awake and sing, well). this happens to me a lot...

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#5re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/18/07 at 12:23pm

i hated history boys...don't know why.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#6re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/18/07 at 12:28pm

Trace - maybe you just don't like plays?

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#7re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/18/07 at 12:33pm

Trace, you HATED "Awake And Sing" and "The History Boys"?!?!

wtf?!

dylanjackson
#8re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/18/07 at 12:38pm

i agreeee..i dont understand the acclaim for history boys, i did not like it at all, and i love plays much more than musicals!!
Updated On: 2/18/07 at 12:38 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#9re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/18/07 at 1:08pm

Here is a list of recent plays that I enjoyed:
Doubt
Journey's End
The Coast of Utopia Trilogy
Vertical Hour
The Odd Couple
Seascape
The Lieutenant of Inishmore
Faith Healer
Shining City
Festen
Losing Louie
Rabbit Hole
Three Days of Rain

Yes, I know a lot of these were panned by critics, but I enjoyed them. I'm really looking forward to The Year of Magical Thinking and Deuce this Spring.

I'm just upset that the show the critics raved about as the best play ever (History Boys), I absolutely despised and couldn't wait for it to end. I just couldn't see what they were raving about. (same thing with Awake and Sing and Well)
Updated On: 2/18/07 at 01:08 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/18/07 at 1:11pm

Trace, you are certainly not alone in disliking THE HISTORY BOYS. I really didn't care for it, and know a handful of people who outright hated it. Everyone has their own opinions.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#11re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/21/07 at 1:35am

Just saw this tonight, and I will say quite honestly what thought was overpowering my mind as well as a group of friends of mine when we left the theatre.

"Liev Schreiber is INCREDIBLE!" I say this to point out that, at least for me, the jury is still out on whether I loved the play or not, but having witnessed Schreiber's performance I almost don't care about the plays flaws. I agree with newphilosophygirl that he is one of the best theatre actors out there and his performance here will certainly solidify that if it hasn't been already. [SPOILERS AHEAD, but not really]

As for the play, I have never been exposed to this work by
Bogosian, and I'm not sure if I can effectively put into words why I left the play a little confused but I'll try. I think my only issue is I was confused as to whether the play was meant to be more of a comment on society or truly about this man's life. A)If it was to be about society, although entertaining, it was extremely pessimistic and kind of offputing for me B) If it was truly a play about Barry and how this job had changed him, and not for the better, I needed more of a point of reference of who he was before besides the short testimonials given in the audience addressed monologues by his friends and coworkers. (Didn't like the audience addressing by the way, sometimes it is very effective, but not here)

Stu and Linda's characters seemed a little underdeveloped for me, I didn't understand why they wouldn't have walked out long before now.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but these are just thoughts I'm spouting off the top of my head having just seen it a few hours ago. The criticisms and questions I raise are still up in the air for me. I could wake up tommorrow and have filled in the holes, but if any of you have any more insight or can help me out, please do.

All in all, I believe this is a must see. In addition to the performances by Schreiber (Sebastian Stan is also a standout if there can be another), the set (although simple) is amazing and the staging is top notch.

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

Brokenlizard14 Profile Photo
Brokenlizard14
#12re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/21/07 at 3:43pm

Just out of curiosity, did anybody stage door the show? I was just wondering how Liev Schreiber and Peter Hermann are. My friends and I have tickets to see the show March 18. Want to know if it's even worth trying to stage door.

And thanks for all the reviews. It sounds like a show I could really enjoy. I've never actually seen a broadway play (I live in IL), just musicals, so I'm excited.

new_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
new_philosophy_girl
#13re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/22/07 at 10:23am

Don't know about them, I had an emergency and had to leave immediately after the show. I did however meet the kid who plays Kent (who almost steals the scene he is in with Liev) on the street yesterday and he was as sweet as can be!

Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#14re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/22/07 at 11:30am

I didn't see The History Boys on Broadway but I bought the published play a few months ago and it's so dull. I don't know if it's because I'm just reading it or whatnot. I'll definately check out the film, hopefully that changes my mind on the piece.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

OSUBuckly
#15re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/22/07 at 11:59am

>>Just out of curiosity, did anybody stage door the show? I was just wondering how Liev Schreiber and Peter Hermann are.<<

My girlfriend and I stage doored after last Saturday night's performance. Schreiber (with Naomi Watts at this side) came out relatively quickly. While Ms. Watts headed straight into their car, Liev stuck around for a few minutes. I'm usually too intimidated to talk to anyone but he was very kind to my girlfriend. She basically gushed at how great he was in Talk Radio and Glengarry and he seemed genuinely thankful. He signed for everyone who was there (surprisingly not that many) and went on his way. He often in the press comes across as difficult to work with but he is very respectful to his fans.

Sorry, nothing to report on Peter Hermann
Updated On: 2/22/07 at 11:59 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/22/07 at 12:28pm

OSUBuckly, how does someone who seems nice and "genuinely thankful" to your girlfriend for complimenting him come across as "difficult to work with"?

In reality, Liev is actually not only an amazing actor, but a VERY nice guy and incredibly easy to get along with.

OSUBuckly
#17re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/22/07 at 1:13pm

Jordon Catalano,

I have edited my post for clarity. I didn't mean to imply that he comes off that way at the stage door. However, the press often paints that picture of him. For example, just read the latest issue of New York Magazine (The Fashion special with him on the cover.) He even admits it himself in the article.

Brokenlizard14 Profile Photo
Brokenlizard14
#18re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/22/07 at 11:18pm

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know that if nothing else, he appreciates his fans.

HarryPotter01 Profile Photo
HarryPotter01
#19re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/23/07 at 6:49pm

I saw the show last night and like most of you, I LOVED IT -- and I'm still troubled (in the good way) by a lot in it, so please forgive if this isn't all fully formed...

First, I must agree with sidjones09: Liev Schrieber is probably giving the performance of the season. (Although, that honor probably goes to Christine Ebersole in GREY GARDENS, but that's a musical and she is a woman, so, there you are.) At any rate, he is stunning, and it frightened me how much he made me identify with this self-destructive soul.

And yes, AC126748, Stephanie March performs that monologue amazingly -- and I think it is only going to get MORE AMAZING as time goes on. (Love your Tina Fey avatar, btw)

I'm still amazed by how compelling it was to just sit and watch Liev take listener's calls over and over -- and how much darker, sadder, and scarier it all got with each new call.

The confusion sidjones09 has about whether the play is about society or the shock jock's life is interesting. He is the window on society -- the way in which Bogosian shows us, the audience, ourselves. The main character to my mind is, in a way, the callers -- us, the audience. But I don't think the play is pessimisstic so much as cautionary and timely. The play could have been written yesterday and SET in 1987, rather than written then.

But how awesome is it that so many revivals of plays are so damned good and legitimately WORTH SEEING...?! (GO see JOURNEY'S END, in addition to TALK RADIO! Equally wonderful...)

I just hope we get more NEW plays by new playwrights IN ADDITION to the much-welcomed revivals...

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#20re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/23/07 at 11:28pm

Can someone let me know how PEDI was? You know, the real star of the show. re: A terrific TALK RADIO

HarryPotter01
#21re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/24/07 at 1:46am

"La Pedi" provides the voices for many of the female callers and like the rest of the (largely) off-stage voice-over actors, she is pretty great. [POSSIBLE SPOILER TO FOLLOW...] I'm not sure, but I believe it was "La Pedi" who does the call-in as the woman who is afraid to stick her hand down the garbage disposal. Very funny stuff...

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#22re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/24/07 at 6:27pm

oh man I just saw it and it was very, very good. Liev is absolutely amazing!

Peter and Liev were very nice at the stage door. Updated On: 2/24/07 at 06:27 PM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#23re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/24/07 at 6:40pm

I have a thing for Forbidden Broadway Alumni.
If you think Pedi is good you should see Simard. re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Pedi is hysterical!

HarryPotter01
#24re: A terrific TALK RADIO
Posted: 2/25/07 at 2:12am

Forgive my ignorance, but what is Simard? Educate me! Educate me!

Videos