News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for TommyTunesSon

Member Name: TommyTunesSon
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: I'm in love with the '110' score
 Jul 8 2007, 03:51:22 PM
The original broadway cast album is so worth looking for and having in your collection. My problem with Audra in the current production is that I am so used to Inga Swenson's phrasing, and her "performance" of Lizzie (which I'm too young to have seen; but she performs/acts the songs brilliantly). I "hear" Inga's voice during "Raunchy", "Old Maid", and "Love, Don't Turn Away" in my head; Audra is a great vocalist, and she delivers, but Inga IS Lizzie, Audra is Audra... I love the entire score. I
re: Best Musicl Winners
 Jul 8 2007, 03:46:23 PM
Hallelujah, Baby! closed before the tony awards named it the best musical of the season in 1968.
re: The BARBARA COOK Discussion, News, and Love Thread!!!
 Jul 8 2007, 03:44:12 PM
My favorite Barbara Cook CD is "Close As Pages In A Book", the Dorothy Fields collection. She does amazing renditions of "Exactly Like You", the title song, "I'm In The Mood For Love", "April Snow", "It's Not Where You Start", "I Can't Give You Anything But Love", "On The Sunnyside Of The Street", "Bojangles Of Harlem", "The Way You Look Tonight" (a duet with my dad, Tommy Tune), "Make The Man Love Me", "I Must Have That Man" - it's priceless!!! (I also love Oscar Winners, her Oscar Hammerstein
re: Down With Spring Awakening
 Jun 14 2007, 01:51:11 AM
All I want to say is how much I loved Spring Awakening - I love the cast, the energy, the score, the design elements... it was a great night in the theater and I'm so glad it has been so successful!! I haven't understood the amount of hatred this show has engendered by its detractors - it has been so vitriolic and there seems to be something else entirely behind it - perhaps jealousy? I can't figure it out. There are shows I dislike that others love, but I always understand it has more to do wit
re: The Visit - 2008 at Signature
 Jun 14 2007, 01:45:48 AM
hasn't the musical version of The Visit played outside of New York a few years ago?? I can't remember if it was Chita Rivera or someone else? I'd love for it to transfer to Broadway!! To me, there is no such thing as a "bad" Kander and Ebb show - sometimes the productions have errors, but the scores are always phenomenal!!
re: Post your favorite 'Unsung' Broadway Legend
 Jun 14 2007, 01:42:43 AM
Patricia Elliot has been on the soap opera One Life To Live for something like 20 years.

She hasn't done enough shows, but I just love Liz Callaway - what an amazing voice! Wish her career had taken off more!

I also love Inga Swenson, especially her vocal performance on the 110 In The Shade original broadway show cast album. I can't hear those songs at all without hearing her vocal inflections - she acts the songs as she sings them. It's a phenomenal performance (i'm too young

re: Post your favorite 'Unsung' Broadway Legend
 Jun 14 2007, 01:40:53 AM
Patricia Elliot has been on the soap opera One Life To Live for something like 20 years.

She hasn't done enough shows, but I just love Liz Callaway - what an amazing voice! Wish her career had taken off more!

I also love Inga Swenson, especially her vocal performance on the 110 In The Shade original broadway show cast album. I can't hear those songs at all without hearing her vocal inflections - she acts the songs as she sings them. It's a phenomenal performance (i'm too young

re: The Best Performance At The Tonys Was...
 Jun 13 2007, 09:26:56 AM
I loved all of the musical performances except for Mary Poppins. Spring Awakening was my favorite ensemble, and also David Hyde Pierce with the company from Curtains were sensational, too.

The problem I have with Audra's "Raunchy" is that I can never quite hear that song without hearing Inga Swenson's amazing vocal performance of it on the original broadway show cast album. Inga sings and acts the songs in such a way that you really know that men consider Lizzie unattractive, an "Old Ma

re: Gay Night on CBS
 Jun 13 2007, 09:15:15 AM
Well, most of the winners & nominees were straight. But I totally enjoy the gayness of the Tonys! In the same way that Oprah Winfrey openly roots for black performers to win oscars, etc., I root for gay men and lesbians at awards shows. It's so refreshing to hear gay men thanking their partners on the Tonys - it makes me feel really good. When I win my Tony, I'll thank my partner, too!! (;

re: Worst Speech of the Tonys
 Jun 12 2007, 02:07:50 PM
While I enjoyed Christine Ebersole's speech, she gave almost word for word the same speech at last year's Drama Desk awards.

Steven Sater was the worst for me - my gaydar went up in to the stratosphere! He was, er, very strange!!!

WTF?
 Jun 11 2007, 07:29:35 AM
I was thrilled that Bill T. Jones won the choreography award - it was the best choreography of this past season, IMHO. Curtains would be my second choice. I disliked Legally Blonde, albeit the choreography was very good. And Mary Poppins didn't come alive for me the way I had hoped (it was hampered by an uncharismatic lead, which affected the way I felt about all of the other aspects of the show - a Mary Poppins without a strong Mary Poppins isn't worth seeing or doing).
re: spring awakening: clearly the greatest musical ever produced on the gr
 Jun 11 2007, 07:09:50 AM
I just don't get you Spring Awakening haters at all! It WAS the best musical of this past season, and there isn't even a close second! (o.k., must admit, I didn't love Grey Gardens; I enjoyed Curtains very much, and had mixed feelings about Mary Poppins, which needed a more charismatic star in the lead role) - Spring Awakening was the best experience I had in the theatre this past season. I wonder if people are jealous? of youth? or upset that it is non-traditional (you know, the rock score thin
re: JULIE WHITE!
 Jun 11 2007, 07:02:42 AM
I knew she would win (and she DESERVED to win) the moment that the nominations came out and A Moon For The Misbegotten only got one nomination. I loved Eve Best, Vanessa Redgrave, Angela Lansbury and Swoosie Kurtz, but Julie's was the best performance by an actress this past season on broadway.

And had there been an award for Best Acceptance Speech, she certainly would have won that award as well!!

I hope this opens up her career and we see more of her!

re: Your Personal Tony Disappointments
 Jun 11 2007, 06:55:51 AM
The only disappointment for me was Jennifer Ehle over Martha Plimpton and/or Xanthe Elbrick. Otherwise, it was a very pleasant night for me!! While I predicted Raul Esparza, I loved David Hyde Pierce's performance (all 5 nominees were phenomenal as far as I'm concerned). And I absolutely love Spring Awakening, which I regard as the highlight of the broadway season without exception.
re: What A Shock
 Jun 11 2007, 06:51:45 AM
I was expecting Raul Esparza to win, but I certainly enjoyed David's performance, and am happy for him. They were both wonderful, as were Michael Cerveris, Jonathon Groff and Gavin Lee (who should have been nominated in the featured category). I do think likability and charm and name recognition were contributing factors to this semi-upset (some were predicting a DHP win).

By and large, the Tonys have often (there are many exceptions) given awards to wonderful performances that were no

re: The OFFICIAL S.A. Didn't Deserve Thread
 Jun 11 2007, 06:25:11 AM
Spring Awakening totally deserved all of its 7 tonys and esp. Bill T. Jones for his amazing mesmerizing choreography - you Spring Awakening haters are just bizzare!!
re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
 Jun 11 2007, 06:22:11 AM
I loved all of the musical numbers except for one: the Mary Poppins number was a total snooze, I drifted right out during it. Favorite was Spring Awakening, no surprise there!
re: Entertainment Weekly Predicts Tony Winners
 Jun 6 2007, 07:29:37 AM
EW's predictions are almost exactly the same as my own, with 2 exceptions: The Coast Of Utopia will win best play; and the much harder to predict orchestrations award. I would say based on merit Jonathon Tunick, but he has 2 nominations that are equally deserving - so I'm predicting he'll win for LoveMusik, but I could make a case for any of the 4 nominees this year...

I hope Martha Plimpton wins - could she and Jennifer Ehle cancel each other out? I suspect they will be the 2 top vote

re: RIP: Gretchen Wyler Has Passed Away
 May 28 2007, 08:01:16 PM
I was lucky enough to meet her at an animal rights event, she was funny, classy, intelligent, and kind. I never got to see her on the stage, unfortunately - how lucky some of you have been to have seen her and/or worked with her!!
Drama Desk & Now Outer Critics Circle! Go Take That Tony, Prima Donna Diva!
 May 27 2007, 11:45:56 AM
Wouldn't it be great if there were a 3 way tie? Christine, Audra and Donna!! What a moment that would be!! (and everybody would be happy - hmmm, who were the other 2 nominees? Bundy and Monk)...

btw, the only 2 times there were ties were suspicious to me, since they were two early times that black actresses won - Diahann Carroll (tied with Anna Maria Alberghetti) and Leslie Uggams (tied with Patricia Routledge). A tie would mean the exact same number of votes. (the last tie in my memor

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You