Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:35pm

A Chorus Line- A

Curtains- B+

110 in the Shade- B+

Mary Poppins- B/C+

Company- A

Grey Gardens- B+/A

Spring Awakening- B

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 6/10/07 at 11:35 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:38pm

A CHORUS LINE A-

CURTAINS B+

110 IN THE SHADE B+

MARY POPPINS B

COMPANY A

GREY GARDENS A

SPRING AWAKENING B-/C

ashley0139
#2re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:41pm

A CHORUS LINE B+

CURTAINS A-

110 IN THE SHADE B+

MARY POPPINS B+

COMPANY A+

GREY GARDENS A

SPRING AWAKENING B

I'll add:
JERSEY BOYS- WTF were they doing there? C (they sounded good)

FANTASIA- D

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#3re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:41pm

A chorus line B+

GG A

Curtains B

110 B+ I enjoyed it alot

Company A+

SA A

Mary Poppins C

SA was so good. Like i know the show have seen the performances but it is just so enjoyable every time. Lea Michele is just so good. Fantasia sperformance though was awsome and probably next to raul was the best.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#4re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:42pm

really Fantasia a D? I thought she was wonderful much more entertaining than Curtains for me.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#5re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:45pm

Fantasia was great.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

ashley0139
#6re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:46pm

Heh. Maybe it's just me, but I thought her performance was horrendous. And I don't say that. Her voice sounded like nails on a chalkboard.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#7re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:47pm

A CHORUS LINE B-

CURTAINS B+

110 IN THE SHADE A

MARY POPPINS A-

COMPANY A+

GREY GARDENS C+

SPRING AWAKENING B

MungoGypsy8232
#8re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:48pm

i don't know how you thought Jersey Boys was good and Fantasia wasn't?!

A Chorus Line B (way too many performers)

Curtains A- (Debra Monk's lungs of steel)

110 in the Shade A (Audra rocks)

Mary Poppins B (wasn't that all impressed, just by Ashley)

Company B- (his vibrato.....)

Grey Gardens A- (her jokes didn't land too well since they've already all had a chance at seeing her it seems, I felt bad and I hated the transition, but she did a fairly great job)

Spring Awakening A- (did John Gallagher, Jr. sneeze? Anyways, he gave a cute "i just won a Tony look". It would have been an A except there was like a harmony missing and it REALLY bothered me. It seemed like the girls overpowered guys on the Blah Blahs and they all sounded off)

Jersey Boys C (awful and dragging)

Fantasia A+ (i'm VERY critical of her and i ADORE the Color Purple and she totally rocked the house on that number. Was slightly surprised there was no standing ovation, but Idina and Taye's faces were PRICELESS)

feinstein9 Profile Photo
feinstein9
#9re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances

I was kinda hoping Audra would come and cartwheel her off the stage. Be all, this is BROADWAY beyotch!

BDavis0092
#10re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances

A CHORUS LINE B-

CURTAINS B

110 IN THE SHADE B-

MARY POPPINS A-

COMPANY A+

GREY GARDENS C

SPRING AWAKENING A+

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225

MerMaggieGalinda
#11re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:49pm

I'm glad someone agrees with me about Fantasia. That's why Jennifer Hudson got Effie instead of her. Fantasia's tone is horrendous.

theaterdude87
#12re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:51pm

A CHORUS LINE B-

CURTAINS C

110 IN THE SHADE B+

MARY POPPINS B

COMPANY A

GREY GARDENS B+/A

SPRING AWAKENING A-

JERSEY BOYS wtf

FANTASIA A

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

ashley0139
#13re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:52pm

Idina and Taye's faces were PRICELESS

I mentioned that in another thread. Favorite part of the night, handsdown.

Apparently a lot of people liked her performance. That's good. I just didn't.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#14re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:53pm

I thought Fantasia was AMAZING !!!

allvocal Profile Photo
allvocal
#15re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:54pm

I still am botherd by Fantasia performing... it was eh to me.. and Jersey Boys sounded like they were at the end of a LOOONNG 8 show week..

I miss the days with huge production numbers at the tonys.. this year.. it was like all solos..

misschung
#16re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:57pm

I'm angry that I missed taye and idina's faces

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#17re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:06am

A CHORUS LINE B

CURTAINS A

110 IN THE SHADE C (wow that show is musically boring)

MARY POPPINS B+

COMPANY A-

GREY GARDENS B+

SPRING AWAKENING A

JERSEY BOYS D (they seemed TIRED and off)

FANTASIA C

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

i.heart.link Profile Photo
i.heart.link
#18re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:06am

I don't know if this is a dumb question or not but what was up with the Bitch of Living? Why did they screw all the lyrics around?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:14am

A CHORUS LINE - C
Them performing outside was absolutely stupid. It was a horrific opening, and the huge chorus line across Radio City was just not impressive. I wanted to see them perform all of something - not just random bits of nothingness from 2 different numbers. The most disappointing performance of the evening.

110 IN THE SHADE - A +
Clearly the best performance of the evening - flawless.

CURTAINS - B -
A fine performance, but a boring song. A lame attempt at a classic "show biz" number, paired with uninspired choreography doesn't even come close to be the showstopper it tries to be. They should have done "Thataway" or something.

COMPANY - B +
Raul was fantastic, but the "What do you get?" line in the beginning was out of left fielf, forced, and kind of lame. The orchestrations sounded limp and off-key at one point, and the song only began to reach it's full potential when Raul stood from the piano. It seemed as it does in the show - like paint by numbers version of "Being Alive."

GREY GARDENS - A -
Ebersole was not her best tonight. She's clearly tired. I feel like she's had it. She needs a long vacation.

SPRING AWAKENING - A -
Would be A+, but the totally lame version of "Totally F*cked" ruined it for me. "Mama Who Bore Me" was FANTASTIC, "The Bitch of Living" was great, despite some awkward lyric changes, but "Totally F-ed" was a HUGe embarrasment. Just awful. Luckily, the show still came off as looking great.

MARY POPPINS - A
Despite the lame choreography and the awful "Anything Can Happen," MARY POPPINS actually was one of the best performances all evening. It probably even made the show look better than it actually is.

JERSEY BOYS - D
Awful, forced, unnecessary, off, tired, etc. Blah.

FANTASIA - A +
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. And that's only a taste of how brilliant she is in the show. Wonderful. She deserves a special Tony.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

musicman_17082
#20re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:21am

Coming from something who knows nothing about Spring Awakening and have only been reading amazing reviews for ages now... I must say I was highly dissapointed. The girl who started it was pretty awesome (looked like a young Idina Menzel in my opinion) but it went downhill from there. The guys' song was just... nothing special AT ALL. I'm sure the show is better than this so why on earth didn't they showcase it?

And I thought Fantasia was fantastic. Not nearly as good as she was live (she seemed to "pop it up" a bit more tonight)... but still a passionate, incredible moment.

And i LOVED the song performed for Curtains!

theaterdude87
#21re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:23am

Spring Awakening is one of those shows that I feel like you need to see to like. I actually did not mind the hand over the mouth as much as I thought they would.

vinnylin Profile Photo
vinnylin
#22re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:26am

A CHORUS LINE A-

CURTAINS B+

110 IN THE SHADE B+

MARY POPPINS C+

COMPANY A+

GREY GARDENS B-

SPRING AWAKENING A-

"This is wanting something, this is reaching for it, This is wishing that a moment would arrive. This is taking chances, this is almost touching, what the beauty is." --The Light in the Piazza

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#23re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:27am

A Chorus Line- A

Curtains- C

110 in the Shade- C

Mary Poppins- B

Company- B

Grey Gardens- C

Spring Awakening- A

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#24re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:30am

After seeing Spring Awakening's performance, I asked myself how they won so many awards. I was most impressed with Mary Poppins, but that doesn't say much, since I thought that number was kinda boring. It made me think of the 1999 Tonys with Ragtime, Lion King and Cabaret, now that's entertaining!

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

Videos