News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for My Sobriquet

My Sobriquet Profile Photo
Member Name: My Sobriquet
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Big Fish Chicago previews
 Apr 3 2013, 09:56:32 AM
I saw the first preview of "Big Fish" last night. By intermission, most everyone around me was disappointed by the threadbare book and unimaginative songs & lyrics. I have seen more character depth on your average tv variety show sketch. The son, Will Bloom, comes off as a two dimensional character for most of the show. All he does is complain about his Father's incessant story telling. I started to root against the son at one point. There is so little affection between these two that it makes y
re: Tragedy Strikes as Natasha Richardson Passes Away at 45
 Mar 19 2009, 12:01:10 AM
I did not know that Natasha was as involved in supporting AIDS organizations, raising money for research, as she was. This link lists some details:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/3/18/710289/-Rest-In-Peace-Natasha

Bless you, Natasha

re: Clever Lyrics that make you Smile Every Time!
 Aug 20 2008, 12:36:59 AM
From Grey Gardens, "The Cake I Had"

You had two hands.
You could have modeled gloves.
Is it my fault that
Your cake fell flat?
That you're unmarried,
Bald and fat?

brigadoon cancelled
 Jul 30 2008, 11:40:41 PM
Hey, jaystarr:

Thanks for the advice It was really kind of you to take the time and to make the effort. Individuals such as yourself really make me appreciate this board.

Now just to figure out my plans for October in New England....

brigadoon cancelled
 Jul 30 2008, 12:46:24 PM
Wow. I just was surfing the net to see if tickets were on sale yet and I came upon this news. I'll be in Boston for a day during what was supposed to be the early part of the run.

I am bummed. I'm taking a trip with friends up and down the coast of Maine and thought that this would have been a nice extra treat.

re: Why was Sara Gettelfinger replaced by Erin Davie in Grey Gardens?
 Jul 29 2008, 02:55:49 AM
Wow. A year flies. I'm still missing GG.

Living in Chicago, I'm very excited about Northlight Theater tackling GG this fall, especially with Hollis Resnik's involvement. Still hoping for London in my dreams....

re: broadway.com MAJOR error (SOOOO FUNNY)
 Jul 8 2008, 09:09:39 PM
I just bought two orchestra tickets.
re: What is your LEAST favorite musical ever?
 Jun 29 2008, 11:23:13 PM
Footloose
re: What Musical Theatre Song Is Your Top Played on iTunes?
 Jun 25 2008, 12:27:37 AM
Another Winter in a Summer Town ----- Grey Gardens

re: I need a vacation... like nobody's business...
 Jun 17 2008, 07:45:11 PM
Yeah, the title's perfect, if you know the show.

I believe Debra Monk tells a story of how their Tony Award performance immediately followed Jennifer Holliday's famous performance of "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going." Now that would be a tough act to follow.

Lord, I need a vacation.... like nobody's business.

(Now I have to go dig out my old vinyl collection. Thanks for reminding me about this great show.)

re: Overrated Musicals?
 Jan 3 2008, 11:53:11 PM
The Lion King
Wicked
Piazza
Curtains

re: Elaine Stritch @ Walmart
 Oct 31 2007, 12:14:15 AM
Too funny!

BUY.......! BUY........! BUY.........!

re: State Fair
 Aug 27 2007, 01:40:53 AM
Wow... Your question brought back some memories. I saw State Fair on tour as part of a 4-show package, which also included Victor/Victoria (pre-Broadway), Stomp, and Damn Yankees (w/ Jerry Lewis) as part of the 1995-96 'Broadway in Chicago' season.

I remember the main problem with State Fair was that it was too syrupy sweet... kind of corny... for lack of a better term. I think that the leads, John Davidson and Kathryn Crosby, helped contribute to that feeling. It felt like a 90

re: Patti LaBelle in GYPSY
 Aug 6 2007, 12:54:14 AM
"climax control"

Oh....! I really needed a good laugh tonight. Thanks, Aunt Snookie.

re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Tour) Review!
 Aug 6 2007, 12:43:43 AM
I saw the Saturday evening performance of the tour last night in Chicago. I had few expectations, and was very pleasantly surprised. Tom Hewitt was in fine voice. D.B. Bonds did thrust & hump a bit too much, but I figured he was doing that since he was playing to such a cavernous space. Other than that, he hit the nail on the head with his performance. The audience gave a standing ovation at the end, which surprised me since the audience's response was difficult to read throughout. I have
re: Ana Gasteyer and Kathy Voytko in 'Passion'
 Aug 1 2007, 11:00:14 PM
I can really see Ana Gasteyer as Fosca. I thought she did a really exceptional job in Wicked, both singing and acting.

I'm pretty sure that she started as an Opera major at Northwestern, my alma mater, before changing to the theater program.

Something for us here in Chicago to look forward to.

re: How old were you when you lost your Broadway virginity?
 Aug 1 2007, 10:47:48 PM
Age, 31.

Passion, 1994

re: Billy Stritch and the Girls at Birdland 7/29
 Jul 30 2007, 10:52:35 AM
I second everything that MasterLcZ wrote.

It was a perfect way to help unwind after the closing. I really liked Birdland, too, having never been there.

Christine's new (and superb) version of "Will You" makes me think that Grey Gardens will be living on in various manifestations. I like that....

re: I Refuse To See a Musical! Yuck!
 Jul 30 2007, 10:46:20 AM
"I say rip up his Gay-Card.
No more princess points."

Maybe no one taught the GWM the secret handshake yet.

re: Melchior- the Breakdown
 Jul 30 2007, 10:26:18 AM
Although I, and probably everyone, hates to have plots spoiled, this is one example that once you're into the 2nd act, you can see the death (mentioned above) from a mile away. That's one of my biggest problems with the book. (Otherwise, I was very entertained.) That storyline was too predictable and therefore, not interesting. ANY other outcome would have been more original. Maybe it was interesting in 1891, but not today.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You