News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ooblogway

ooblogway Profile Photo
Member Name: ooblogway
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://ooblogway.blogspot.com

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Creative ways to utilize Circle in the Square?  Aug 6 2023, 06:37:04 PM

The current problem with staging shows completely in the round is that high-paying audiences want cool design elements which are difficult, if not impossible, in the round.  Our suggestion is to completely gut The Circle in the Square and use it for immersive shows which have become very popular.

What's good Off Broadway now (late March '23)?  Mar 23 2023, 09:13:10 PM

Play Co is remounting Sarah Einspanier's LUNCH BUNCH - originally staged at Club Thumb's Summerworks.

Highly recommended!

Off-Off Blogway

The New Group's THE SEAGULL/WOODSTOCK, NY  Feb 19 2023, 10:00:36 AM

We saw this last week and really like it A LOT. Loved the adaptation. Loved, loved Parker Posey. It was definitely less than 3 hours, more like 2 1/2. Felt like Act 4 needed work, but overall we really enjoyed it.

What Happened to Article on Playbill re:  Feb 12 2023, 05:27:48 PM

In our experience, the bad behavior happens much less  frequently Off-Broadway and downtown; is seems to be a Broadway issue, although we could see it happening at a venue like New World Stages, too.

A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread  Jan 8 2023, 09:19:55 PM

I can understand the cast not wanting to do a concert version; it shows neither their performances nor the show in an optimal light.  And the performers know that audiences have paid for a full production.

2022 Drama Desk Award Nominations  May 17 2022, 09:40:26 PM

We asked one of the nominators: A Case of Existence of God opened one day too late to be eligible.

IS THIS A ROOM and DANA H will play Broadway in Rep  Aug 23 2021, 12:15:22 PM

Whenever we've wondered why more shows don't run in rep on Broadway to share costs, we were always told that it was due to unions and their costs would make it cost prohibitive. Wonder what changed (apart from obviously vacant houses due to a pandemic)?

Plays that would work particularly well on zoom?  Jul 12 2020, 05:25:34 PM

That's interesting and disappointing, Distinctive Baritone.

Plays that would work particularly well on zoom?  Jul 3 2020, 10:12:46 AM

Can you think of any plays that may work particularly well online on a zoom-like platform?  Plays with less physicality perhaps?  Julie Halston offhandedly said, in a conversation with TheaterMania, that she wouldn't want to see Pinter on Zoom - and that was a playwright whose work I thought could work in that format...

Let's inspire some online works!

PS: I live the Apple plays written directly FOR zoom, too!

Best Scene Changes  Jun 4 2020, 09:51:38 PM

I thought the Act changes in the Roundabout's TIME AND THE CONWAYS were very memorable.  Set by Neil Patel.

Best Plays ABOUT Pandemics (Or Smaller Outbreaks)  May 27 2020, 11:37:54 PM

One Flea Spare by Naomi Wallace is set in plague-ravaged 17th Century London.

Synopsis:  A wealthy couple is preparing to flee their home when a mysterious sailor and a young girl appear sneaking into their boarded-up house. Now, quarantined together for 28 days, the only thing these strangers fear more than the Plague is each other.

Plaza Suite Boston Peformances Thread  Feb 9 2020, 06:37:11 PM

I wonder if Same Time, Next Year would have been a better choice?

HEAD OVER HEELS  Jan 30 2018, 09:01:36 PM

Didn't this get a pretty bad review in the Times when it was out west? Did they decide to bring it to NY because Isherwood is gone?

TIME AND THE CONWAYS (2017) Previews  Sep 29 2017, 08:38:05 AM

Thank you DHAFER that is definitely the music!

TIME AND THE CONWAYS (2017) Previews  Sep 24 2017, 05:23:32 PM

Saw TIME AND THE CONWAYS last night and liked it well enough.  Thought the performances and accents were all over the place and often seemed amateurish.  The set is the star.  Act Three becomes an exercise in dramatic irony, as we've already seen how the characters wind up.  It's all pretty obvious, but not a complete misfire like some other Roundabout shows.

I did have a question about the music played between acts - anyone kno

Caffe Cino and the birth of Off-Off Broadway  Jul 4 2015, 05:03:52 PM

With the coming of DAMES AT SEA, I'm researching the beginnings of the Off-Off Broadway movement again.

Caffe Cino, where DAMES AT SEA premiered, also gave a start to Marshall Mason, John Guare, Robert Patrick, Jeff Weiss, Sam Shepard, Paul Foster, H.M. Koutoukas, Doric Wilson and many others.

There is a great site dedicated to the Cino: HERE.

It was before my time, but wondering if anyone here experienced the Caffe Cino first-hand?

Movie adaptations of plays that starred the original actors  Jun 24 2015, 10:53:15 AM

Six Degrees of Separation - Stockard Channing

10 out of 12 by Anne Washburn  Jun 9 2015, 08:44:17 PM

Saw 10 out of 12 last week.  It really is a must see for anyone involved in theater.  It's a tad too long at 2 and a half hours.  If anyone asked, I'd tell them exactly what to cut.

It must have been a nightmare to tech a show about a tech rehearsal.

CHINA DOLL TICKETS ARE ON SALE  Jun 8 2015, 10:26:21 AM

At least Mamet isn't directing the play himself - that was the biggest issue of Anarchist.

Off and Off-Off Is The Thing Right Now  Feb 25 2015, 09:56:04 AM
There are several shows not to miss that are not happening on Broadway right now:

James Lecesne’s The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey at Dixon Place just got a well deserved RAVE from Isherwood.

The return engagement of Soho Rep's production of An Octoroon is actually better than it was at Walkerspace (and it was pretty fantastic there!) with the mostly new cast, and in the larger space at TFANA.

Horseplay: or, The Fickle Mistress at La Mama has the best ensemble

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You