pixeltracker

A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 10:12am

Tickets are now on sale for the Broadway premiere of A Strange LoopMichael R. Jackson's Pulitzer-Prize winning musical, directed by Stephen Brackett, choreographed by Raja Feather Kelly, and produced by Barbara Whitman along with Page 73 Productions, Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company and Playwrights Horizons. Previews will begin at Broadway's Lyceum Theatre (149 W 45th St) on Wednesday, April 6, 2022, and opening night is set for Tuesday, April 26, 2022.

The Broadway cast of A Strange Loop features Jaquel Spivey, in his Broadway debut, as Usher. He joins original cast members Antwayn Hopper (Thought 6), L Morgan Lee (Thought 1), John-Michael Lyles (Thought 3), James Jackson, Jr. (Thought 2), John-Andrew Morrison (Thought 4), and Jason Veasey(Thought 5).

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Full-Cast-and-Dates-Announced-for-Broadways-A-STRANGE-LOOP-Tickets-Now-On-Sale-20220118?fbclid=IwAR3ZYX9rmKt4gG7yRiEwDdYv380vKXdNC7aDpJD6TFjqA1pNwruC5x8ArUc

Updated On: 4/22/22 at 10:12 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 10:20am

I am not too familiar with this musical. What is it about?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 10:28am

It won the Pulitzer and almost every major theatrical award in 2020, and is a semi-autobiographical musical by Michael R. Jackson about an usher named Usher who is trying to write a musical. There are several actors who play the Thoughts in his head who also provide commentary on the state of theatre and how that applies to this Black playwright dreaming up a “big, Black, and queer-ass American Broadway show”.

lachri5
#4A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 10:48am

The new poster design looks much better. "Usher plans to change his life today. His thoughts have their own ideas." It makes it sound like Inside Out, but to be fair, it is a little bit like Inside Out.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#5A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 10:57am

Sweeping the Tonys. Best Musical, Best Actor, Best Direction, Best Book, and Score are shoo ins in my mind.

BoringBoredBoard40
#6A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 12:18pm

Would love to know why Larr Owens is no longer with the show when everyone else is from the PH run

yyys
#7A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 12:24pm

Maybe hes busy? Anyway Jaquel is great. Saw this show in DC three times.

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Would love to know why Larr Owens is no longer with the show when everyone else is from the PH run"

Updated On: 1/18/22 at 12:24 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 12:38pm

Super excited for this one. Hope I get to see it.

Oh look, a bibu!

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#9A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 12:57pm

I was looking at tickets and it looks like the front two rows of the Center orch and first row of the side porch are unavailable for every show. I know sometimes those are really well priced because it can be a limited view. Does anyone know if they were just a good price and sold out quickly or if they're being saved for something? And, if they are being saved for something, does anyone know if they'll be released in the general sale or will be for lottery/rush/etc. Thanks!

yyys
#10A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 1:13pm

Prob for rush.

jkcohen626 said: "I was looking at tickets and it looks like the front two rows of the Center orch and first row of the side porch are unavailable for every show. I know sometimes those are really well priced because it can be a limited view. Does anyone know if they were just a good price and sold out quickly or if they're being saved for something? And, if they are being saved for something, does anyone know if they'll be released in the general sale or will be for lottery/rush/etc. Thanks!"

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#11A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 1:23pm

I’m very curious how this will transfer—the direction did not work for me in DC. I respect the piece, I appreciate it, but the production fell a bit flat. Hoping they can make some solid changes in the transfer. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#12A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 1:28pm

Were there any changes from Playwrights to DC? I didn’t catch it down there.

lachri5
#13A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 1:42pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Were there any changes from Playwrights to DC? I didn’t catch it down there."

I saw both. My memory of the Off-Broadway production may not be as reliable since it's been a while, but I don't think there's been notable changes between the 2 productions.

Edit: I just watched this montage from Playwright Horizons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4hWaHg6b98 The only 2 details I noticed is (no spoilers) one line used to be delivered at Usher, now it's delivered facing the audience; mother no longer wears that wig in "Periodically". The rest looks identical.

Updated On: 1/18/22 at 01:42 PM

Rakesh Natarajan
#14A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 3:32pm

In DC, there were also a handful of small changes to the script. I didn't see the show off-broadway, but I did read through the published script a few times (which, based on the timing of its release, should be the off-broadway version of the script). The playbill for DC also confirmed that they were making some script changes: "Even with the imprimatur of the Pulitzer Prize, Michael continues to hone the script and the score."

Updated On: 8/16/22 at 03:32 PM

yyys
#15A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/18/22 at 8:48pm

How would you direct it?

BroadwayNYC2 said: "I’m very curious how this will transfer—the direction did not work for me in DC. I respect the piece, I appreciate it, but the production fell a bit flat. Hoping they can make some solid changes in the transfer."

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#16A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/22 at 10:26am

Looking at purchasing the cast album, and published libretto. Does anyone know if changes have been made since these two items have been released?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

BoringBoredBoard40
#17A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/22 at 5:45pm

Can anyone explain to me why a show that is big black and queer as it says and is SO MUCH about the internal black experience is again being directed by a white person.....(I say again because Pass Over comes to mind)

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#18A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/19/22 at 8:50pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Can anyone explain to me why a show that is big black and queer as it says and is SO MUCH about the internal black experience is again being directed by a white person.....(I say again because Pass Over comes to mind)"

I wondered this when I saw the show Off-Broadway as well. While we’ve seen this throughout history (Dreamgirls immediately comes to mind), it seems weird that such an unapologetically Black show in 2022 is directed by a white man. I will say that choreographer Raja Feather Kelly and the cast definitely make the show feel authentic, so at least it appears to have been a respectful and collaborative process.

schubox
#19A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/21/22 at 10:41am

Anyone know what is up with the AR pre-sale?  It's requiring an AMEX card. Even though it says if you don't have one click here for the AR presale, but it always only gives me the option of paying with an AMEX card. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#20A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/21/22 at 10:46am

schubox said: "Anyone know what is up with the AR pre-sale? It's requiring an AMEX card. Even though it says if you don't have one click here for the AR presale, but it always only gives me the option of paying with an AMEX card."

Go to Telecharge Offers, and put in code SLAUDREG.

schubox
#21A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/21/22 at 10:49am

TaffyDavenport said: "schubox said: "Anyone know what is up with the AR pre-sale? It's requiring an AMEX card. Even though it says if you don't have one click here for the AR presale, but it always only gives me the option of paying with an AMEX card."

Go to Telecharge Offers, and put in code SLAUDREG.

"

You're a saint. Thank you

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#22A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/21/22 at 4:29pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Can anyone explain to me why a show that is big black and queer as it says and is SO MUCH about the internal black experience is again being directed by a white person.....(I say again because Pass Over comes to mind)"

I'm guessing Kenny Leon was busy, and he seems to be the only black play director Broadway seems to allow nowadays. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Pashacar
#23A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/21/22 at 4:43pm

If it makes it any more palatable, Brackett has been involved with the show for many years and it wouldn't be what it is today without him. (Casting the Thoughts as queer, Black performers was his idea, for example.) Not saying it wouldn't make more sense to have a Black director, but it's also not as if they just slapped him onto the project yesterday.

As for changes to the script, I saw it at both Playwrights and Woolly and was disheartened to see that they made barely any changes other than minuscule tweaks to individual lines. (What's the purpose of an out-of-town tryout, then?!) The piece is obviously extremely strong, but the last 40% of it could still use some more substantial work, and it looks like it won't get it. Also, I have some concerns about Spivey's stamina and pipes after the performance I saw – though he did nail the book scenes.

Tabby Lamb
#24A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/10/22 at 3:27pm

Does anyone know of any discounts/offers for this? I'm coming over in May and desperate to see it but also broke ahahah x

BwayStarlette
#25A STRANGE LOOP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/11/22 at 1:52pm

I saw this off-Broadway. I'm excited to see what they've done with it. It was good, but had some issues :)  I'm back in NY next month and I am buying a ticket for previews. 

Also.... this advertising artwork is just temporary? I hope?