News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for perfectlymarvelous

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
Member Name: perfectlymarvelous
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  Apr 30 2024, 02:17:59 PM

I'm genuinely thrilled that Daniel Radcliffe finally picked up a nomination after turning in really stellar theatre work for a decade and a half. He's wonderful in Merrily, and I'm happy he was finally recognized. All of the nominations for Stereophonic have also made me even more excited to see it in a week! 

Drama Desk Nominations ‘24  Apr 29 2024, 01:39:30 PM

HeyMrMusic said: "I hope this is a slam dunk forJaja's African Hair Braidingin the Wig and Hair category. Wish they could share in a costume nomination at the Tonys since the hair was integral to the storytelling and also quite magical to have pulled off in full view of the audience."

I totally agree, the first thing I looked for in my Playbill after the show was who did the wig and hair design. Nikiya Mathis did incredible work.

ILLINOISE Reviews  Apr 25 2024, 09:13:48 PM

I saw this afternoon's matinee and thought everything about it was absolutely stunning. It's been a while since a show moved me that much. Beautiful work from everyone involved, from the dancers to the musicians to the vocalists to the designers, and a special shoutout to Jackie Sibblies Drury who I'm sure helped to shape the narrative as the co-bookwriter. They've really created something special here, and for my money it totally qualifies as a musical. Justin Peck's chor

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 22 2024, 08:14:35 PM

Marty uses they/them pronouns out of drag. 

The Official TDF Thread  Jan 18 2024, 09:01:08 PM

My seat for Hadestown last night was in orchestra row N in the center, and it seemed like the people around me had also purchased through TDF. 

SUFFS is coming to Broadway  Jan 12 2024, 09:21:45 PM

Did you see Suffs at the Public? I didn't care for the show as a whole, but Phillipa Soo was far and away one of the standouts in the cast (along with Grace McLean and Nikki M. James). I agree that it would be a loss for the production if she doesn't move forward with it. 

HERE LIES LOVE closing November 26  Nov 9 2023, 01:14:38 PM

Sutton Ross said: "Intotheblue said: "Timing is everything. Unfortunately, waiting 10 years to bring it in AND opening in the summer were it’s biggest downfall."

Correct. And once again the Broadway will most likely sit empty for a long time. Has there ever been a hit there in the past decade? F*ck.
"

I believe the last time something ran in there for more than a year was Cinderella, which was indeed a decade ago. 

SPAMALOT To Play The St James This Fall  Sep 26 2023, 01:15:54 PM

What did Taran Killam ever do to y'all? He's not like, John Mulaney level famous as a comedian but he obviously enjoys doing theatre since he continues coming back to it. Personally I think it's very fun casting, and I'm looking forward to seeing him. 

Harry Potter Friday Forty  Jul 28 2023, 08:56:02 PM

It depends on the day, but the lottery loser seats seem to be on the sides of the orchestra and occasionally up in the dress circle (I'm an usher there so I can see where folks bought their tickets from). They're not selling top tier seats or anything, but most of the time they're a pretty good deal for the price. 

Jordan Donica leaves final Camelot mid-performance  Jul 24 2023, 06:17:27 PM

Wicked also has a famously steep rake that has caused many injuries over the years. Seems like it might be time for AEA to reexamine the standards they have for it; people shouldn't be working on a rake so steep it causes chronic pain that affects their ability to do their jobs. 

HERE LIES LOVE - Broadway Previews  Jul 18 2023, 01:32:08 PM

I also really disliked the show when I saw it a couple of weeks ago. I thought the concept was poorly executed, and the music is catchy enough but it all started to sound similar by the end (with the exception of the closing number which I actually quite liked). The performances were wonderful overall; I particularly liked Conrad Ricamora, but ultimately none of them are really given that much to work with so it all felt very one-dimensional and surface level. I really don't understand th

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Reopening Night Thread  Jul 10 2023, 09:23:44 PM

The SF production wasn't profitable, so I don't see why they'd open another sit-down production and alter another theatre in a city that's closer to New York if no one wanted to see it at a theatre fully across the country. 

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Reopening Night Thread  Jul 10 2023, 02:06:18 PM

Yes, the set is huge and complex and there are a lot of special effects that require a specific set-up (flying, Polyjuice transformations, etc.). Any version of it that would tour would have to be altered significantly. 

Unpleasant theater audiences  Jul 3 2023, 01:49:15 PM

spicemonkey, yes, ATG sells popcorn in their theatres which truly boggles the mind. 

Here Lies Love and Live Musicians  May 31 2023, 10:15:59 AM

American Psycho *didn't* skirt the issue, they received permission from the union to hire fewer musicians than the house minimum for the Schoenfeld. They're far from the only production to have done this, and I believe they had 4 musicians on the show (3 players and the conductor). The concept for that show was EDM/house music and they still managed to figure out a way to do that with live musicians.

Theaters Comfortable for  May 26 2023, 11:54:18 AM

Just here to say that I'm an usher and we get reseating requests frequently from larger folks and we do our absolute best to accommodate them. Usually the solution that makes everyone happiest is a box seat, as those are regular chairs rather than theatre seats and can be moved around a bit to give yourself a little more room. It definitely also depends on how your weight is distributed, because if you're larger around the hips and midsection it can be much more uncomfortable for you

2023 Drama Desk Nominees  Apr 27 2023, 01:32:25 PM

I'm also surprised Christian Borle hasn't been nominated for anything so far. I thought he was really great in Some Like It Hot and he and J. Harrison Ghee have great chemistry together. 

I'm THRILLED that Kennedy Kanagawa was recognized alongside the puppet designer for Into the Woods, it was really a delightful performance and I hope this is the start of a wonderful career for him. 

54 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.  Apr 22 2023, 09:30:47 AM

I remember seeing Rebecca Luker there when they first opened, and the cover charge was somewhere in the neighborhood of $40 plus the food and drink minimum. They're now charging that much to see random people from Tiktok at 9:30 pm on a weeknight, and seeing someone of the caliber of Rebecca Luker is now easily a $100+ evening. I know it's been more than 10 years and inflation, etc., but I just don't understand who they think is going to pay $60-70 to see people no one has ever he

Actors Fund RAGTIME Concert Aiming For Early 2023  Mar 28 2023, 10:59:23 PM

Ragtime is my all-time favorite musical and last night was so perfect. My parents took me to see the original production as a kid but it was after the original company had left, and I really never thought I'd get to see these people I grew up listening to on the cast album do the show. Marin was missed, of course, but I thought Kelli did a really beautiful job and the tribute to all of the folks involved with the original production who have since passed was lovely. I also thought it was

People talking during shows  Mar 27 2023, 12:59:00 AM

re: dealing with talking as an usher, I will 100% address it if I hear it or if someone directly complains to me, but because of the acoustics of the theatre and where speakers are placed, it's SO hard to hear people unless they're right next to where I'm standing in the aisle or they're talking very loudly. At least in my theatre we do our best with the audience behavior, but it does sometimes feel like we're fighting a losing battle. 

And, on the whole, kids

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You