ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#154 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 1:39pm

The nonprofit governing Board will be led by its current owners, Tom Viertel, Steve Baruch, and Richard Frankel, who by nature of this being a nonprofit will no longer own the business or receive profit participation from the company.

they intend to raise close to 20 percent of an annual budget approaching $10 million from supporters, with sponsorships, multiyear donations and naming opportunities figuring into the new model. ... Frankel noted that two of 54 Below’s competitors, Joe’s Pub and Dizzy’s Club, both enjoy the backing of nonprofit organizations: the Public Theater and Jazz at Lincoln Center. “We’ve been incredibly envious of them,” Frankel said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/18/arts/music/54-below-nonprofit.html

chrishuyen
#254 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 1:58pm

Realistically, how much did Michael Feinstein's departure affect 54 Below?  I was always a bit confused at the nature of that partnership, both in terms of influence and economically.

I have noticed them adding more "diverse/young" programming, but I'll admit that it's sometimes detrimental to the quality of the shows.  There have definitely been more TikTok stars on the 54 stage in recent months and while some of them are legitimately good performers, I can't say all of them have been the caliber of what I'd expect.

heybaby
#354 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 2:20pm

So can I write off the $35 martini I had last time I was there? The food and drink prices are such a ridiculous joke at 54 Below. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#454 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 2:56pm

heybaby said: "So can I write off the $35 martini I had last time I was there? The food and drink prices are such a ridiculous joke at 54 Below."

No because you received goods and services for the $35. It’s not a donation (which I think you know).

The Feinstein situation was a necessary infusion of cash + an agreement that he would play X nights a year + probably some programming support. But I don’t think that partnership was as fruitful as they’d hoped, hence reverting to the old name.

The venue has no real programming “strategy” beyond filling 3 shows a night. Obviously they hope to make money off bigger names, but they can’t fill all time slots with them, hence “54 Sings the Phonebook” or whatever. Thus, it also has an identity crisis, because it’s half glorified open-mic night and half sophisticated club room. They never *wanted* to have to fill shows with amateur/lower-level performers, but that’s how it worked out. Patti LuPone and Audra and whoever can’t do that many nights a year.  

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#554 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 3:37pm

chrishuyen said: "Realistically, how much did Michael Feinstein's departure affect 54 Below? I was always a bit confused at the nature of that partnership, both in terms of influence and economically.

I have noticed them adding more "diverse/young" programming, but I'll admit that it's sometimes detrimental to the quality of the shows. There have definitely been more TikTok stars on the 54 stage in recent months and while some of them are legitimately good performers, I can't say all of them have been the caliber of what I'd expect.
"

Honestly, I'd agree. I'd much rather have a few select up and coming producers/artists craft and program these shows, rather than anyone and everyone. Tik Tok Sings 54? That's not a high $ paying crowd... I feel like they're losing the B&T crowd

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#654 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 3:38pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "heybaby said: "So can I write off the $35 martini I had last time I was there? The food and drink prices are such a ridiculous joke at 54 Below."

No because you received goods and services for the $35. It’s not a donation (which I think you know).

The Feinstein situation was a necessary infusion of cash + an agreement that he would play X nights a year + probably some programming support. But I don’t think that partnership was as fruitful as they’d hoped, hence reverting to the old name.

The venue has no real programming “strategy” beyond filling 3 shows a night. Obviously they hope to make money off bigger names, but they can’t fill all time slots with them, hence “54 Sings the Phonebook” or whatever. Thus, it also has an identity crisis, because it’s half glorified open-mic night and half sophisticated club room. They never *wanted* to have to fill shows with amateur/lower-level performers, but that’s how it worked out. Patti LuPone and Audra and whoever can’t do that many nights a year.
"

To this point-- this is more what Chelsea Table & Stage is doing. They aim for Bway star residencies, give space for up and coming projects, and allow for a number of different genres, while staying true to the high brow crowd, bringing in younger people, and pulling from hotel customers... 

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#754 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 4:02pm

54 Below’s reputation has largely gone down in the last several years. Unexciting programming, exorbitant prices, mediocre food and drink, and ridiculous minimums. It’s a great venue, but it easily becomes a $80-100 evening per person. 

Joe’s Pub offers better food and more interesting shows, as does Chelsea Table. Green Room 42 has no minimums at all, cheaper tickets, and is a great place for emerging talent to do shows and for their friends to support them. And that’s just 3 venues- there are many more. 

54 Below just isn’t able to define itself or compete. It needs much better leadership right now. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#854 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 4:54pm

The Carlyle remains the prestige location. Joe's Pub remains the edgy location. Dizzy's & some other venues have the jazz scene cornered. Which leaves 54 to compete as equals to Birdland (generally cheaper than 54) and Green Room and Laurie Beechman. And then there's places like Town Hall and Little Island.

The other issue is that some of the above clubs can share kitchen costs with their associated restaurants; Carlyle also probably gets some casual attendance from hotel guests/residents. 54 never quite figured out how to make it a dining/drinking destination when a show wasn't going on. For a structured cabaret show you obviously don't want people coming and going during the performance. And they've never figured out how to partner with Roundabout or the commercial tenants upstairs.

I'm just not sure how it could be run better by different leaders or new creative/programming directors. We know from Broadway buying habits that "Broadway names" have finite interest and in a world where you can watch your faves on YouTube or Tiktok, there's not really an incentive to drop $100+ per person to see them with any regularity. I'd have loved to see Jen Simard's show, but my ceiling for something like that is $40 all-in (or under $5 for streaming).

Updated On: 4/18/23 at 04:54 PM

BETTY22
#954 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 5:34pm

I think Real Housewife Countess LuAnn is one or the most successful acts.

Times are changing ........

JSquared2
#1054 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 6:06pm

BETTY22 said: "I think Real Housewife Countess LuAnn is one or the most successful acts.

"

That's only because she buys out most of the house herself for all of her shows. It's all a vanity project.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#1154 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 6:24pm

JSquared2 said: "BETTY22 said: "I think Real Housewife Countess LuAnn is one or the most successful acts.

"

That's only because she buys out most of the house herself for all of her shows. It's all a vanity project.
"

Patently false. She has a devoted fan base, as difficult as that might be to understand why.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1254 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/18/23 at 9:42pm

Are you getting confused with “fourwalling” which isn’t uncommon at 54 and other venues? (An act pays to buy out the entire house up front, and then controls all ticket sales/revenue and marketing)

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#1354 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 5:29am

I’ll miss 54 Below if it passes, but I won’t be surprised. Every night they have two slots to fill, and there are not enough “names” to fill a quarter of them. Perhaps they already do this, but they should lower the prices on food and beverages on nights without star power.

I looked at 54 Below as an alternative to spending about the same amount of money to see a mediocre new Broadway show from a mediocre seat.

I loved it that they allowed you to take non-flash videos. There must be 1000 up on YouTube. Do they help or hurt the business, or is it a push? . I went there to see Betsy Wolfe, and who should pop in but Jeremy Jordan. And the two of them, after some patter, sang “Suddenly Seymour” together. I knew nothing of the Fangirl base of Jeremy, so I was very surprised when about 14 hours after I uploaded that video to YouTube, it had 14,000 views. And now, about four years later, it’s got 214,000. (never made a penny off it.)

I thought I had an exclusive on Kelli O’Hara‘s appearance at the “diamond“ series. They had made the usual announcement from the stage that video taken with flash was forbidden, so I was shooting my non-flash video, as usual, when I was tapped on the shoulder and told to desist about 15 seconds before the performance was over. (She was singing “I’m Going to Go Back There Someday” and Sondheim’s “What More Do I Need?&rdquo54 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles. All right, I thought, here is the only video shot at Kelly’s appearance. But I’m very surprised to find that a year later, the number of views is stuck at 1.5 K. A few weeks earlier, when Sierra Boggess had appeared, videos of her singing the classics “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” plus “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes” and “The Nearness of You” reached over 10,000 views. None received really big numbers, but the difference was hard to explain.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#1454 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 5:58am

heybaby said: "So can I write off the $35 martini I had last time I was there? The food and drink prices are such a ridiculous joke at 54 Below."

What prices are not ridiculous in the theater district? Start with moderately good seats to a show that you know will be one run and done. And the drinks you buy at the theater may not be quite as expensive as they are at 54 below but they are not quite as good either. Hey, I will splurge for a Manhattan made with Grand Marnier. 

The deal with 54 below is that you see major stars, and major, up-and-coming stars in a wonderfully intimate venue, with good food and drink, and even the possibility of having a good conversation with one of your table mates, that you did not know.

I love to be so close to Linda Eder and Chita Rivera, and be allowed to take videos, which I am then happy to share with the public on YouTube.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#1554 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 6:13am

Kad said: "54 Below’s reputation has largely gone down in the last several years. Unexciting programming, exorbitant prices, mediocre food and drink, and ridiculous minimums. It’s a great venue, but it easily becomes a $80-100 evening per person.

Joe’s Pub offers better food and more interesting shows, as does Chelsea Table. Green Room 42 has no minimums at all, cheaper tickets, and is a great place for emerging talent to do shows and for their friends to support them. And that’s just 3 venues- there are many more.

54 Below just isn’t able to define itself or compete. It needs much better leadership right now.
"

What are the great exciting acts they had several years ago, that they don’t have now? Were the princess parties exciting? Linda Eder, and Patti LuPone and Kelli O’Hara, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Paulo Szot. Tony Yazbeck, Sierra Boggess and Betsy Wolfe. You weren’t impressed by Jeremy Jordan‘s week in residence there? I think they do a good job of getting talented and well-known people there, but there just aren’t enough to fill all the slots. And their diamond series was a little on the expensive side even though you could get a few bucks off if you shopped around. 

I sure would not have minded seeing Kelli O’Hara, and Steven Pasquell sing one second and 1,000,000 miles to the accompaniment of the composer. Well, I would’ve liked to see that but unfortunately they only showed it on the first day. That was a bit disappointing but all in all I still like the place and I hope it sticks around.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#1654 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 7:34am

I, for one, hope they can pull through. It is not easy running one of these rooms. There's a reason so few exist, across the country.

I will say I skipped the Diamond Series because of the price, but I just assumed the price was reflected by the fee the artist required and was a way to get another tier of performer in.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#1754 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 8:34pm

Ridiculous prices, and food and drink minimums on top of that, plus the programming, all add up to confirm my suspicion: dress it up however you want, it's still the basement of Studio 54; it was a shithole then, and it's a shithole now.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#1854 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 8:51pm

I'd go there often if they had late night shows. I'd love to catch a cabaret show after a Broadway show. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#1954 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 8:53pm

KJisgroovy said: "I'd go there often if they had late night shows. I'd love to catch a cabaret show after a Broadway show."

That's a fantastic idea. Like Patti's midnight Les Mouches show.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#2054 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 9:02pm

I always check their schedule when I'm planning a trip, but only ever went once.  Their late shows aren't really late enough for after a play or musical.  For comparison, in 2014 I saw Chita Rivera at Birdland for an 11pm show on a Saturday night. 

I've also gone down to the Blue Note in Greenwich Village for late night shows - they only have a one drink minimum & prices are fair, but if you get dinner some of those items leave much to be desired.

If I was a local I'm not sure I would want to go out late especially midweek, but with the time difference 11pm in NYC feels like 8pm.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2154 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 9:08pm

With Caroline’s on Broadway closed, I’d love for them to host more comedians. It’s a great size room. And why not reach out to more drag queens? Jinx was doing a show at the Laurie Beechman for months. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#2254 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 10:14pm

Yea, they need to expand programming options. If there’s one thing that so many in the Broadway industry don’t realize, it’s that many of the people they put on a pedestal won’t sell a ticket. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2354 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/19/23 at 11:41pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Yea, they need to expand programming options. If there’s one thing that so many in the Broadway industry don’t realize, it’s that many of the people they put on a pedestal won’t sell a ticket."

Exactly. It's a small venue, but only a handful of people are paying $150+ to see Jeremy Jordan up close.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#2454 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/20/23 at 12:44pm

54 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.

Updated On: 4/20/23 at 12:44 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2554 Below will become a nonprofit, in another sign of its financial troubles.
Posted: 4/20/23 at 1:22pm

Their food is acceptable in, like, Indiana. 

Videos