News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for zamedy

zamedy Profile Photo
Member Name: zamedy
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Shea's Buffalo unveils '14-'15 Broadway Series  Mar 20 2014, 09:13:08 AM
Looks like a good one (especially compared to this season)

JOSEPH & THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT (Oct 7 - 12)
Rodgers + Hammerstein’s CINDERELLA (December 2 – 7)
MOTOWN THE MUSICAL (January 20 – 25, 2015)
CHICAGO (February 17 – 22, 2015)
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (March 18 – 29, 2015)
KINKY BOOTS (April 21 - 26, 2015)

Special Engagements:
MILL

Neil Simon theater- mezzanine v. orch  Jan 2 2014, 10:23:50 PM
It's a great, rather intimate theatre. I sat in the mezz all three times I saw HAIRSPRAY. Great views every time. So much history in this theatre.. from Merm bringing down the house singing "I've Got Rhythm" in GIRL CRAZY in 1930 to Dorothy Loudon and company doing their thing 40 years later in ANNIE. Go and enjoy!
The five best 11 o'clock numbers in Broadway history  Aug 6 2013, 10:26:44 PM
"Sit Down You're Rockin' The Boat" from GUYS AND DOLLS. One of the best 11 o'clock numbers ever. If that song doesn't fit the mold of 'a song to wake the audience up near the end of the show and send them out smiling and singing' I don't know what does. The '92 revival was thrilling.
An Evening With Ethel Merman (BBC--1965)  Aug 2 2013, 09:58:22 PM
GavestonPS, what do you mean by "she did a full five minutes in 1"?

It's funny. Even some of her 'critics' that didn't exactly love everything about her were/are smart enough to acknowledge that she was like no other. Sondheim, for all his comments about her ("fine low comedian," "the singing dog"), even said in an interview that her performance as Madame Rose in GYPSY was one of the best he's ever seen ("And of course, Ethel was thrilling in GYPSY). I was also pleasantly surprised afte

An Evening With Ethel Merman (BBC--1965)  Aug 2 2013, 12:42:27 AM
Wow. Wow. Thank you, my friend PalJoey for posting THIS. I'm going to carve out an hour this weekend to watch this.

I love how, on this busy board right now, there are two threads celebrating a woman who's been dead almost 30 years. You just can't teach what she 'had.'

"You either have it... or you've had it."

Merman performing on 1972 Tony Awards  Jul 31 2013, 09:24:07 PM
You are more than welcome, GavestonPS! I'm so glad I found it myself. Did you happen to see her in GYPSY? I'd love to hear all about it. Private message me with details if you'd like! Fortunately we have several tv recordings of Merm performing 'Everything's Coming Up Roses' (including on this Tony cast, which is perhaps the best performance that was captured on tv). It's unfortunate that her 'Rose's Turn' was never captured on film for the public to see. An audio recording of what's purported t
Merman performing on 1972 Tony Awards  Jul 31 2013, 09:43:38 AM
You're welcome, Ms. LuPone :)
Charles Nelson Reilly in Hello, Dolly  Jul 31 2013, 08:55:01 AM
VeraCharles3 - YES!! LOL. Same here!
Merman performing on 1972 Tony Awards  Jul 31 2013, 08:53:22 AM
Great find here for any Merman fan. The entire awards show has been uploaded. The Merm was awarded a special Tony this year. She had to work for it though.. performing some of her biggest hits in a 10-minute tribute to, well, herself. It's a treasure.. and it shows she had a softer, fun, sweeter side that's seldom attributed to her. For perhaps the first time on video, you see Merm perform 'Doing What Comes Naturally' as she first had on stage 26 years earlier. And her 'Everything's Coming Up Roses' gives us an idea of what it must have been like to see her perform that signature tune on the Broadway stage more than a decade earlier. The 'choreography' seems dated by today's standards.. but the emotion she packs into every line.. especially the final bars.. reminds us why she is the legend she is.

Merman tribute starts around the 1:09:00 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC12nJlqNYE

Casting Magic Mike  Jul 30 2013, 09:59:58 PM
Nick Adams.
Nick Adams.
Nick Adams.

RIP Eileen Brennan  Jul 30 2013, 09:58:42 PM
Color me ignorant... Just learned tonight that she originated the role of Irene Molloy in HELLO, DOLLY! Wow. I definitely have a soft spot and tremendous admiration for those actors who created roles that became legendary in musical theatre. It was the first musical in which I ever performed.

And yes, she was a rip-roaring riot in WILL & GRACE.

God bless and RIP, Ms. Brennan.

ROCK OF AGES gets a new  Jul 23 2013, 10:51:50 PM
Ditto. Saw it on tour. The show was electric. The cast was outstanding. A great, fun night at the theatre. This relatively small show is still going strong. Best jutebox musical on Broadway right now (yes.. better than MAMMA MIA! and JERSEY BOYS, in my opinion).
Hairspray changes: Pre Broadway - Broadway  Jul 23 2013, 01:58:36 PM
I almost ran right into her at the closing performance of HAIRSPRAY. She had dark hair so I hardly recognized her. She seemed very nice and very classy.
Hairspray changes: Pre Broadway - Broadway  Jul 22 2013, 10:49:04 PM
HAIRSPRAY has a great score. It's my favorite musical. But 'Baltimore Crabs' has always been, in my opinion, the weakest song in what is one of the best musical scores to come out of that decade. I never saw Linda Hart perform it live (I would have loved to), but on the OBCR I think she does a wonderful job with the material she was given. One of the biggest problems with 'Crabs' is that if you have a weak Velma (or a very young Velma, which was often the case on the non-equity tour) the number
Questions about ANYTHING GOES  Jul 4 2013, 10:46:55 PM
Got it. Thanks!
Questions about ANYTHING GOES  Jul 4 2013, 10:04:37 PM
My new obsession is the cast recording of the '87 revival w/LuPone. I got it a few days ago and have been playing it non-stop. Love the energy that just pops right off that CD. And while I'm not a HUGE LuPone fan, her rendition of BLOW, GABRIEL BLOW is incredible. Just a fun, fun CD. I definitely prefer it over the more recent revival (which I also have).

Question: Track 1 begins with Cole Porter signing 'Anthing Goes.' Incredible. Did they play a recording of him doing the same at the

Wendy Williams to play Morton in CHICAGO  Jul 2 2013, 11:47:22 PM
Can we just start a Darlene Love Appreciation Thread already? The woman can SING circles around just about anyone on Broadway right now.. at a very young looking 71 (black don't crack!). I bought tickets to her very last show in HAIRSPRAY and it was worth every penny and then some. She (as expected) blew the roof off the Neil Simon with her final rendition of "I Know Where I've Been" (complete with a soul-filled "GOODBYE EVERY-BODY" right before the last note). Gives me chills just thinking abou
Judy Garland in Annie Get Your Gun  Jun 29 2013, 07:09:15 AM
This has nothing to do w/AGYG, but here's a fabulous clip of Garland and her friend, Ray Bolger (Scarecrow), who was apparently the only cast member from THE WIZARD OF OZ who attended her funeral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYJQDFxngs

Patti and ANTHYING GOES at '88 Tony Awards  Jun 25 2013, 01:13:13 AM
So was this company bigger than the Sutton revival company? And why does Patti's face look so... weird?

And this is based on absolutely nothing but I'm gonna guess that Patti and the hot blonde dancer who finishes the song to the right of her on the screen didn't get along.

Patti and ANTHYING GOES at '88 Tony Awards  Jun 24 2013, 10:10:55 AM
1. Why does her face look gray?

2. Did this production have a separate troupe of singers and dancers (as it appears here), whereas the recent revival had a single troupe of dancers/singers? In her autobiography, LuPone was quite critical of this company, basically saying many (but not all) were ungrateful and didn't seem to respect Broadway.

3. Pretty amusing to hear Patti say "Oh God!" twice after her dance break. Who cares if she didn't know her mic was still on.

3. Patti is fierce and I enjoy the cast recording from this production over Sutton's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=qW_sd4GYsR4&feature=endscreen

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You