News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for helvizz

helvizz Profile Photo
Member Name: helvizz
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Cross Sex Casting  Dec 12 2023, 09:11:41 PM

This didn't actually happen because 9/11 happened first so producers became much more cautious of how they'd spend money, but if I recall correctly Billy Porter was slated to play the Witch in the 2002 Into the Woods revival.

Someone pointed out that Lena Hall played Hedwig - which is true, and it reminded me that Ally Sheedy was the first woman to play Hedwig, back in its original Off-Broadway run.

The Magnificent Mazz Murray as Norma Desmond  Sep 25 2022, 11:19:48 PM

Jarethan said: "I have to admit that I have never heard of her. Where does she generally perform? Has she been on Broadway?"

She's a West End actress and I don't think she's ever done anything on Broadway - or even in the US. I know she's been Donna in the London production of Mamma Mia for a few years, after having played Tanya as well, and from the videos I've seen she looks like she was made for the role. She's also released an album coveri

Cast announced for Netflix movie musical adaptation of 13  Aug 17 2022, 11:51:40 PM

It was an entertaining movie overall. The protagonist was excellent, great voice and very charismatic. I'm still puzzled as to why they had Debra Messing sing, as she's never been a singer (I mean, her singing was openly mocked in Will & Grace a few times).

KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!  May 9 2022, 10:14:38 PM

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "Katrina and Beanie are not the same, one has technical ability and has grown the other had nothing to grow on. Also, the notion of “singing the score” is getting old with Katrina- she’s not a Tenor which is the vocal type the score was written for, they could’ve pitched it anywhere in the female voice, but it’s not her fault they orchestrated it where they did. Katrina was truly the only head scratcher of the morning for me- I w

KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!  May 9 2022, 10:04:01 PM

ashley0139 said: "ElephantLoveMedley said: "helvizz said: "No matter how much she has improved, she still can't handle the score"

This isn't true. She's singing the role as written and beautifully.
"

Sondheim loved her and the way she sang his music. She just doesn't belt it like Elphaba, that's okay. I think her singing of the score is gorgeous.

It's really amazing how polarizing she is in

KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!  May 9 2022, 03:04:47 PM

YvanEhtNioj said: "What did the critics think of her performance? I remember it being pretty polarizing among us on the board"

I think that's why she wasn't nominated - she has always divided opinions with her portrayal of Bobbie because of her vocals. No matter how much she has improved, she still can't handle the score, which is a shame because the role has two beautiful solos. I do think that's what stopped her getting a nomination, because act

Replacements / Stunt Casting we’ll sadly never see.  Oct 24 2021, 03:07:22 PM

Julia Murney as Diana in the original production of Next to Normal. Has she ever played the role at all?

Also, I am haunted daily by the image below. To say Jennifer would've been a hoot is an understatement.

DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release  May 18 2021, 05:20:20 PM

mikey2573 said: ""Sure, but it's not just a question of what's plausible, it's a question of how it reads on camera."

Another story that backs this up: When Spielberg was making JAWS he had his props department make Chrissy Watkins's arm (she was the first victim) for Brody and Hendricks to find in the sand. Spielberg looked at the dead arm prop and said it looked fake, plasticky, and the wrong color. The props people told him that this is exactly

DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release  May 18 2021, 03:18:40 PM

I love the coming-of-age tone they gave the trailer. I hope the movie is faithful to it, instead of it just being a marketing gimmick. It's a change that could make for some new interesting material. The director did Perks of being a wallflower, wich is an excellent coming-of-age movie.

Ben's hair aside, I think the movie looks beautiful and I can't wait for it!

DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release  May 18 2021, 03:13:14 PM

ACL2006 said: "My major complaint is that Platt looks nothing close to a teenager in this."

To be fair to Ben, I have18-year-old students who look like they're 30, just as I have other 18 y/o students who look like they're 14. It's a very weird age.

MCC Theater Miscast 2021 Thread  May 18 2021, 03:06:39 PM

I loved the event, almost all of the performances were superb. Excellent song choices and cast. I do wish more actors would act the song instead of just singing it, but that's a problem (in my opinion, of course) Miscast has had for years. Aaron and Gavin should have kissed after their number was over, it'd've made for the perfect comical and yet song-appropriate moment.

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread  Apr 18 2021, 10:45:42 PM

TheatreFan4 said: "Does anybody have a list of what songs ended up getting cut?"

Under the cut.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Inútil, Sunrise, Hundreds of Stories, Enough, Atención, and Everything I know.

I only really missed Inútil and Everthing I know. 

The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread  Apr 18 2021, 05:13:23 PM

I had trouble with a few elements of the movie (namely, the actress portraying Nina and the changes they've made to Abuela Claudia's storyline), but I still think this is a superb movie. The director was able to translate the stage version into a movie and it shows. Some changes to the book were made, as well as some songs being cut, but they were necessary to keep the running time as it is (~2h10min) and it's still quite coherent. A few book updates, like the part

Best/Worst Celebrities that went onto Broadway  Jan 31 2021, 06:29:07 PM
What a fun thread, this is a trip down memory lane and it got me to remember some great performances, like Emma Stone in Cabaret or Bradley Cooper in Elephant Man. Rupert Grint really was an excellent surprise in It's only a play (the show didn't do it for me, but he really sold his character), and Jordan Fisher knocked it out of the park as Evan Hansen (and I had high hopes for him!). I have to agree that Carly Rae Jepsen in Cinderella was just awful (she couldn't sing the score at all) and I h
If YA Books Were Musicals . . .  Oct 30 2020, 06:49:04 PM
I'd love to see What if it's us? as a musical. The book is entertaining, cute, funny and full of musical references (like its title). I think a good musical could come out of it.
Color-blind and gender-blind casting  Oct 20 2020, 05:01:44 PM
Tag said: "Pam Ferris (a woman) played the role quite well in the Matilda film (arguably better than any male onstage). In the stage version, the drag role is just a gimmick."

Yes, she did. I didn't say the role couldn't be played by a woman, I just said it could be played by a man as well and that it brought something new to the material. It's an interesting situation where you switch the gender of the actor, but not the gender of the character.

Color-blind and gender-blind casting  Oct 20 2020, 03:19:14 PM
There are cases when switching a role's gender, age, race or body doesn't change anything: like the Leading Player, in Pippin., which has been played by both men and women. There are plays where this switch can add to the material: I saw Waitress with Nicollete Robinson, a black woman, as Jenna. It definitely set a new dynamic to the piece, what with her being in an abusive relationship with her white husband. And there are times where the switch can be... bad. That's where the limitations lie.
Ben Brantley Steps Down  Sep 10 2020, 05:09:54 PM

Owen22 said: "I have disagreed with Brantley many times (beginning with giving Side Show a good review and then a bad review to Triumph of Love) but have never argued with his love of theatre and his ability to write. I will miss him very much.

As for Jesse Green...he's a pretty good writer...
"

Couldn't agree more with you, Owen. Brantley always gave the best raves, which showed how much he loved theater in general, and the worst (or best?) pans, w

What Show Would You Like To See At Encores?  Aug 25 2020, 09:28:26 AM

jv92 said: "If SEESAW was done in New York in February, I don't know where I was. But even if it was, was it with the original charts andpresented as close as possible to the way it was done in 1973?

I think people sometimes forget that Encores! is really more about showcasing a score and recapturing a long lost sound (and you could even say now that the ways shows sounded in the early 70s is long lost) than anything.
"

Here's a link to an article about the production: https://www.broadwayworld.com/off-broadway/article/Photo-Flash-Meet-the-Cast-of-SEESAW-at-Theatre-Row-20200122 . It appears it only ran one week.

I agree with what you said partially: Encores isn't just about recapturing a long lost sound, but, in my opinion, putting on a live production with a full orchestra of a rarely-produced show that otherwise wouldn't be produced this way, specially in New York City. Many of the shows Encores has done in the past already had good cast albums, so if the idea was just to recapture an old score, then they wouldn't have been picked (like Zorba, 1776, Hair, Gypsy and Thoroughly Modern Millie). That's why I don't mind somewhat recent shows - although I wouldn't say a show that has been around for 25 years (and is not popular amongst theater performers and audiences) is recent. When they did Chicago, the show had been closed for less than 20 years, for instance.

Happy Birthday Lee Roy Reams!  Aug 24 2020, 01:11:00 AM

A first rate performer! Did anyone happen to catch his stint as Dolly and would like to share their views? I've always been curious about how he did in the role. I suppose it must've been great.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You