News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for KnewItWhenIWasInFron

Member Name: KnewItWhenIWasInFron
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Why did Shuffle Along fall off the face of the Earth?  Mar 5 2024, 03:34:50 PM

I do think those who suggest it's mostly the "Hamilton" effect are right. I saw "Shuffle Along" the night after I saw "Hamilton" and actually preferred "Shuffle Along" (loved both, though). I still think about that suitcase dance. (At one point, it could be found online -- they did it on that Maya Rudolph/Martin Short variety show that had a brief run -- but I think it has vanished.)

Streisand Reworking THE WAY WE WERE Ending  Oct 12 2023, 12:32:45 PM

Anshel2 said: "People have such a huge chip on their shoulders where Streisand is concerned. Based on these arguments, there shouldn't be any recut films issued where the director has passed away. Streisand and Pollack were close friends. Columbia owns the picture. She wouldn't be involved at all if the OWNER of the picture didn't want her to be and there wouldn't be a longer version of the film being released if the OWNER didn't want to release one. There are two

R&H Oklahoma Revival Tour  Apr 7 2023, 11:23:58 AM

RippedMan said: "I think the marketing / advertising was great for this show."

Do you mean in New York or on tour? If you mean New York (where I saw it and loved it), I completely agree. But on tour (where I saw it again and loved it again), very little was done to help audiences know how dramatically different was the production's fresh look at the material.

Touring Cast Absences  Mar 3 2023, 05:28:30 PM

...and the "Tina" situation is especially complicated, since two actors alternate in the title role. With both apparently unavailable at the start of the Minneapolis run, the standby went on opening night but the role is such a huge sing that I guess it's not possible to do two shows in a row. So they've canceled several performances, including the Saturday matinee, but the Saturday evening show is going on.

2023-2024 Touring Season  Feb 14 2023, 03:48:57 PM

Minneapolis (no "Into the Woods," maybe because the Guthrie is doing it this summer?)

Girl From the North Country

Company

Aladdin

Mrs. Doubtfire

Funny Girl

Mamma Mia

Clue

The Lion King

MJ

Beauty and the Beast now revised/abridged: how do you feel?  Feb 3 2023, 01:43:52 PM

Have not yet seen the newer version but the more abridging to that show, the better.

Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)  Aug 1 2022, 12:08:27 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "No one needs to go into a time machine to see how much better in the role Lea Michele will be. Why? She’s a seasoned musical theater actress. She’s a singer. Her roots are in musicals. Even as a child. Beanie has zero musical theater training. Musical Theater Camp doesn’t count. Yes, Beanie did play Minnie Faye on Broadway in HELLO, DOLLY! A role that appears in a handful of book scenes and sings in ensemble numbers. Like her, millions of girls

Someone took and leaked nude photos at Take Me Out  May 13 2022, 12:26:39 PM

Seems wise for the theater to take additional steps. I saw the show last Friday and it would have been a cinch to sneak in a phone if I had been so inclined. They took my friend's phone but when they asked for mine, I simply said, "I left it at back at the hotel" (which happened to be the truth but easily might not have been).

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Apr 21 2022, 12:34:38 PM

RippedMan said: "I just can't see how this doesn't come off as cheesy - a la Cats. It's just so theatrical. The director did well with "In The Heights," but that's just such a natural story. Happy to be proven wrong as I'm a big Wicked fan (and a huge Ariana fan, so I hope he reigns her in and doesn't just give us her usual)."

"Natural" meaning realistic-ish? I disagree. The milieu is sorta realistic but the style of storyt

Musical adaptation of AN AMERICAN TAIL by Itamar Moses will premiere in Minneapolis  Apr 19 2022, 11:39:12 AM

A bit more here (it will incorporate songs from the film)

https://www.startribune.com/world-premiere-of-american-tail-concludes-childrens-theatres-2022-23-season/600165994/

The Prom - National Tour  Apr 13 2022, 11:27:14 PM

Minneapolis newspaper likes it. A lot:

https://www.startribune.com/the-prom-is-the-funniest-musical-since-book-of-mormon/600164616/

Richard Linklater - Merrily We Roll Along  Apr 6 2022, 02:43:15 PM

fashionguru_23 said: "Because this is such a lengthy process, I couldn't care less about it until it have a release date, and we are a year within that date. I don't need a press release or article written when they have completed a scene."

Then maybe don't read the press releases/articles? I could not be more jazzed about this movie, am thrilled at the occasional updates and don't know what the naysayers can possibly be thinking. Of course this show

COME FROM AWAY will be filmed; aiming September 2021 release  Sep 9 2021, 04:15:34 PM

I really enjoyed it on stage but it doesn't work in this filmed version, I don't think. The simplicity of the staging -- two rows of chairs for an airplane, etc. -- feels off, as do the performances. Some of the actors finesse the weirdness of playing to a theater but with a camera in their faces for a close-up (I thought Hatch was as good here as on stage) but Colella, in particular, seems forced.

DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release  Aug 3 2021, 11:34:34 AM

Bettyboy72 said: "dramamama611 said: "A Chorus Line 1985
Dr Zhivago 1965
Reds 1981

You saw ACL as a kid, but Reds and Zhivago as a preteen? And ACL had an intermission in the movies? It didn't even have an intermission on bway if my memory serves me correctly.

And to A Director: are you really trying to imply that 50 is the end of the world?
"

Yes, dramamama. ACL had a break when I saw it the theatre. And we had an old

MJ: The Musical will begin this December; opens February 2022  Jul 6 2021, 01:39:35 PM
Kad said: "The only thing that strikes me is that Myles Frost seems very young to be playing Jackson at the time the show is allegedly set. From what I can find from a cursory search, he’s around 22 or 23. Sykes is 35. Jackson was around 34.

There’s a lot we don’t know about the show, including how it will be handling Jackson’s changing appearance.
"

Not a defender of the show at all but it's set in 1984. Jackson was 25.

JLP Controversy  Apr 13 2021, 07:13:29 PM

bwayphreak234 said: "Jordan Levinson said: "poisonivy2 said: "It's a jukebox musical. Has there ever been a jukebox musical that's had a good book?"

How wasGirl from the North Country?
"

I loved Girl from the North Country - I saw it at both the Public and on Broadway. The book is pretty strong in my opinion.
"

Agreed. The show is a stunner (technically, I guess "jukebox musical" is

RIP Dawn Wells  Dec 31 2020, 12:25:17 PM

In the early 80s, I saw her playing the Marsha Mason role in a national tour of "Chapter Two." She was terrific.

THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN coming to Broadway  Nov 19 2020, 03:49:10 PM

HogansHero said: "LightsOut90 said: "this is exciting but let me tell you after the last year this isnot at all going to find a audience with out of towners looking for something fun and mindless"

Considering that everyone pretty much agrees that tourism will be slow to return (see article highlighted in another post on this very page), Broadway 2021(?)-23 is going to be focused on what locals will go to see.
"

...and, in any case, plenty

Was anyone just at the SCOTTSBORO BOYS?  Nov 2 2020, 05:39:42 PM

Sutton Ross said: "This is my favorite musicalof all time, I really enjoyed the video, and absolutely this show was ahead of its time. If this opened in the past few years, it would have been really successful.

And LOLZ regarding the protesters not knowing what the hell they are protesting over becausethey never bothered to actually watch the show!

"

I loved it, too, but given the subject matter and the bleakness of the show, I don't think i

Shows I'm glad I took a chance on...  Oct 26 2020, 02:49:55 PM

I saw and loved many of my choices but for me the "took a chance" part of the question brings to mind shows I hadn't necessarily heard amazing things about but decided to see specifically because it seemed likely I'd never get another chance, in any iteration, like Graciela Daniele's "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" musical on Broadway or "American Psycho." Neither was around long, neither seems likely to resurface even when theater is happening again

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You