News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for pinoyonbroadway

pinoyonbroadway Profile Photo
Member Name: pinoyonbroadway
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Grand Hotel - DVD?
 Nov 3 2010, 04:45:41 PM
Like Jordan said, there are "unofficial" videos of both the London and Broadway Grand Hotel.

I remember there being five of them. There was one from the Detroit Try-Outs, before Yeston was brought in. One from I'm assuming a Broadway Preview, because "At The Grand Hotel" was not yet written. One with Cyd Charisse's first performance as Grushinskaya. One from Australia with Brent Barrett. And one from London

What are your top 5 favorite male Sondheim roles?
 Aug 30 2010, 03:15:17 AM
George Seurat/George (Sunday)
Buddy Plummer (Follies)
The Reciter (Pacific Overtures)
Sweeney Todd/Benjamin Barker (Sweeney Todd)
Charlie Kringas (Merrily)

What are your top 5 favorite female Sondheim roles?
 Aug 28 2010, 01:15:11 AM
Fosca (Passion)
Sally (Follies)
Dot/Marie (Sunday)
Madame Armfeldt (Night Music)
Phyllis (Follies)

Which Follies Album Should I Get?
 Aug 16 2010, 02:22:23 AM
Ok I listened to all of my recordings of the original Follies Just to make sure about everything... And I guess I jumped the gun on a couple of things.

It turns out I have three that are from Broadway not four: The Opening Night or August 1971 or what ever it is, the one from December 1971 and one with an unknown date.

The fourth one which I thought was a different recording was also the presumed Opening Night. One was labeled Opening Night while the other was labeled Preview B

Aug 15 2010, 10:07:11 PM
I could be wrong on this but I believe there is only one recording of the Boston Try-Outs.
 Aug 15 2010, 09:50:47 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clear up on the recordings, nobodyshome. I don't have April 1972 but I don't know why i didn't count the LA Production.

As far as recordings of Follies (soundboard and audience), I have absolutely no idea how many there are. This is what I have:

The Boston Try-Outs
Two of the OBC (They are not dated so who knows)
Opening Night OBC (The date is very questionable)
December 1971 Broadway
Closing Night London
The 1996 BBC Broadcast

Aug 15 2010, 09:05:30 PM
@JOak

This is my own personal opinion, but out of the recordings I have of the OBC, I would say the December 1971 Recording. While they are all fantastic, that one is the only recording I have where Gene and Yvonne don't flub Buddy's Blues and I'm Still Here respectively. The biggest downside of this recording however, is that Ethel's understudy, Helen Blount, is Hattie. Though she is good, she is no Ethel Shutta.

But like PalJoey said. You must listen to them ALL.

Pacific Overtures - Which Recording?
 Apr 13 2010, 03:27:40 AM
I have to agree with JBSinger as well. The OBC is the superior recording. I also have a fondness of the ENO recording, mainly because of it's completeness and I really like the orchestrations, though the cast is hit and miss with me. However the full recording is a little harder to find. Usually you can only find the highlights version. I'm not that big of a fan of the revival recording, but I agree with Theatreboy49. I do like the execution of Next in the revival recording.
Chess recording question
 Feb 20 2010, 03:00:05 AM
I have a recording of Jodi Benson in Chess and I thought she was pretty good. But for me, I will always love Elaine Paige and Emma Kershaw as Florence
What musicals have been sucessful on Broadway without out-of-town tryouts?
 Jan 17 2010, 05:12:23 AM
To average,

Not sure about Will Rogers or Nine but Grand Hotel had a Boston tryout.

Hello, Apocalypse: Trevor Nunn directing West End FOLLIES
 Jan 3 2010, 06:16:56 PM
Oh Boy, A Diet Follies...
Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
 Jan 3 2010, 05:49:55 AM
So I'm going up to New York for the first time for a few days and I have tickets to see A Little Night Music and In The Next Room. I have room for one more show on Thursday night and I can't decide between Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow. Which one should I go see?
re: Lifetime Achievement Tony?
 Dec 22 2009, 03:54:36 AM
Yeah, at first I was also thinking Paul Gemignani as well. But then I looked it up and apparently he already got the award in 2001.

Oh and BroadwayBound, I don't think Lansbury recieved one

Lifetime Achievement Tony?
 Dec 21 2009, 03:32:30 AM
Any thoughts on who should get it this time around?

I figured Jonathan Tunick. He's orchestrated a hell of a lot of shows, as well as composing and conducting a handful of film and television stuff. And I'm not sure if he recieved a special Tony already.

Or maybe somebody else deserves it more. He just came to my mind.

re: What Do You Think Of The 1990 Lincoln Center Production of A Little Nig
 Dec 18 2009, 04:51:19 AM
Overall I though it was a great production. However I'm not fond of Danielle Ferland as Fredirka and I can't stand Michael Maguire as Carl Magnus. Other than that, I like the rest of the actors, especially Maureen More and Regina Resnick.

I haven't seen the revival yet (though I will when I fly up in January) so I can't really compare the two. But from what I hear from other people, the Lincoln Center seems to fare better

re: If you can change one letter in a Broadway show song title...
 Dec 18 2009, 04:41:06 AM
Grey Gardens

JERRY LIKES MY CORN
JERRY LIKES MY p*rn

re: Favorite Overture?
 Aug 3 2009, 04:07:35 PM
Overture:
Candide Definitely
Gypsy
A Little Night Music
Nine
Carousel
Follies

First Number:
The Grand Parade (Grand Hotel)
The Story Of Chess (Chess)
The Advantages Of Floating In The Middle Of The Sea (Pacific Overtures)

Speed Producers File Grievance Over Piven
 Jan 16 2009, 08:42:46 PM
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/125335.html
re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
 Sep 15 2008, 02:44:06 AM
Yeah. I was suprised that nobody else posted it up before me. I figured it was pretty damn powerful.
re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
 Sep 15 2008, 01:06:29 AM
The ones that come to my mind are

Unusual Way from Nine

Love Can't Happen from Grand Hotel

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You