Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow

pinoyonbroadway
#1Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 5:49am

So I'm going up to New York for the first time for a few days and I have tickets to see A Little Night Music and In The Next Room. I have room for one more show on Thursday night and I can't decide between Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow. Which one should I go see?

Everybody's Playing The Game But Nobody's Rules Are The Same Nobody's On Nobody's Side

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 7:11am

I've only seen Ragtime (2x), so I can't be terribly objective. Obviously, I loved it and highly reccommend it, but I've heard simply wonderful things about Finian's as well and am terribly sad that I cannot make it in before it closes.

Both shows have beautiful music (although Finian's is more of a classic) and I doubt that either will be revived again in the foreseeable future (sad, indeed).

From what I know and have heard: you really can't go wrong with either one. See what you can better and/or cheaper seats for? Flip a coin?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

gregj63
#2Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 7:42am

Ragtime, no question. Great production of a great show.

Finian's has a good cast and is well done, but the dated premise of a leprechaun and a pot of gold just could not hold my interest at all.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#3Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 9:56am

Ragtime, no question. As Whoopi said: "You're doing yourself a great disservice if you do not see this show."
Updated On: 1/3/10 at 09:56 AM

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#4Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 10:02am

I was lucky to see both, and enjoyed them both. I think it depends on whether you want a light, funny experience, or a really emotional journey...a tear-jerker. I prefer the tear-jerker experience personally, so I'd pick RAGTIME.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."
Updated On: 1/3/10 at 10:02 AM

bway1261
#5Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 10:16am

"... the dated premise of a leprechaun and a pot of gold just could not hold my interest at all. "

How is the premise of a leprechaun dated?

JacquelineHester Profile Photo
JacquelineHester
#6Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 10:38am

Both great, but Finian's less likely to revived anytime soon. See it while you can

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#7Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 11:27am

I've seen and loved both so I honestly can't choose. Ragtime is beautiful and moving, and Finian's is fun and silly with a great score and a strong cast so it depends what type of show you want.

If I had to pick one though, I'd probably say Ragtime.

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#8Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 11:59am

Having seen and loved both, Ragtime. Do not miss.

RoslynReynolds
#9Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 12:21pm

Ragtime is a pompous, self-important bore and kind of "uppity"; read the novel instead.

See Finian's.

carts2010 Profile Photo
carts2010
#10Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 12:29pm

I have not yet seen Finian's, but I will be seeing Ragtime for the fifth time this afternoon. I absolutely LOVE this show!

Broadway 2010: January 1- Wishful Drinking, January 2- Hair (2pm), January 3- Ragtime (3pm), Bye Bye Birdie (7:30pm), January 4- Mary Poppins, January 14- The Lion King, January 17- The Understudy, March 10- Come Fly Away (2pm), March 15- The Addams Family

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#11Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 12:45pm

Finian's is a jewel that cannot be missed.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#12Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 1:18pm

Ragtime. You'd be a fool to miss this production.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#13Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 2:18pm

Any chance you could skip IN THE NEXT ROOM and see both?

Seriously, both are 5-star productions and it's a crime of the century that neither has managed to hang on - despite stellar reviews.

If you have to see only one, I'd suggest seeing FINIAN'S RAINBOW because it is very unlikely we will see a full revival of this show again for a very long time - if ever, and this production is an absolute joy from start to finish.

RAGTIME is a show that will be back in other forms. Since the original production closed it has become a staple at regional and community theatres. At one time a few years back the New York City Opera had proposed doing it - and perhaps a limited run there would do very well.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

NotYourMemories Profile Photo
NotYourMemories
#14Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 2:37pm

I've heard rumors from reliable sources inside the production that Ragtime's not going to close soon, so you better not hurry up and see it.

Actually I agree with frontrowcentre2, try to see both of these productions. While Ragtime will certainly have a life in regional and college theaters I doubt we'll see another Broadway mounting anytime soon, which to me is the saddest thing about the fate of this revival.

Are you likely to ever see anything to compare to this cast, this direction and an amazing 28 piece orchestra performing Ragtime? I doubt it.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#15Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 2:44pm

I've seen both... see Ragtime.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

wonkit
#16Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 3:16pm

I've seen them both, too - definitely see Ragtime.

Fanb
#17Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 10:17pm

I agree with Frontrowcenter. While Ragtime is a fantastic show, you are not likely to see a better sung show than this production of Finian's Rainbow. And neither is likely to be revived as well as in these current productions soon. If you can see both, you should try.

teka21
#18Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 10:37pm

I saw them both on the same day in November- and much preferred Finian's Rainbow. It is simply delightful- witty, warm and and a wonderful score. Don't miss it. This Ragtime just did not compare to the original for me- it felt flat and strident.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#19Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 10:57pm

Ragtime.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#20Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 11:04pm

How is the premise of a leprechaun dated

I don't know. I know for a fact that many people in Ireland believe in leprechauns or at least the idea of leprechauns.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#21Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 11:08pm

What people in Ireland do you know?

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#22Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 11:13pm

I have family on my mother's side that own a B&B there.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#23Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/3/10 at 11:47pm

Finian's Rainbow, hands down. It's a much better production of a wonderful show that doesn't happen often enough.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#24Ragtime or Finian's Rainbow
Posted: 1/4/10 at 12:25am

If you can't see both, then go see FINIAN'S RAINBOW.

Videos