pixeltracker

Most Powerful Broadway Love Song

Most Powerful Broadway Love Song

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#1Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 1:39am

So I have been listening to Alot of Side Show latly and am just torn to pieces by You Should Be Loved. So im curious what some of you think is the most powerful Broadway Love Song.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#2re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 1:47am

As Long As You're Mine from Wicked and Without You/ Your Eyes from Rent are the only love songs that come to mind when I think powerful.

Updated On: 5/16/08 at 01:47 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 1:54am

Sorry but if those are the only songs that come to your mind, then you should listen to more Broadway.
To me "Move On" and "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" make the top list, but all these are fine candidates:

"Losing My Mind" and "Too Many Mornings"-FOLLIES
"Move On" and "We Do Not Belong Together"-SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"-DREAMGIRLS
"Speak Low"-ONE TOUCH OF VENUS
"Time Heals Everything"-MACK & MABEL
"Lida Rose/Will I Ever Tell You?"-THE MUSIC MAN
"Tonight"-WEST SIDE STORY
"Whoever You Are"-PROMISES, PROMISES
"With So Little to Be Sure Of"-ANYONE CAN WHISTLE

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Theatreboy49
#3re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 1:58am

Shh if you had to pick one from Rent I would easily pick the I'll Cover You Reprise but I still think there is more powerful than that. Ray I agree that We Do Not Belong Together would be way up there.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#4re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 1:58am

The first thing I thought when I saw the thread title was "The Music and the Mirror".

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#5re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 1:59am

Yes, and "What I Did For Love." In terms of a love that transcends distance, "Yours, Yours, Yours" from 1776. Absolutely gorgeous.

LeadingDude Profile Photo
LeadingDude
#6re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:00am

just off the top of my head.

"If I Can't Love Her"- Beauty and the Beast
"Elaborate Lives"- Aida
"So In Love"- Kiss Me Kate
"All the Wasted Time- Parade
"What About Love"- The Color Purple
"I Know Him So Well- Chess

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#7re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:03am

"If I Loved You" from Carousel.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

bwaybabe2
#8re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:03am

"All I Ask of You" from Phantom.
And, my "fave", "Some Enchanted Evening"!
From the much awaited "Dracula", "Loving you keep me Alive".
Wait, that was 3... :I
Updated On: 5/16/08 at 02:03 AM

broadwaybaby086
#9re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:04am

I don't know if it's considered a love song, but I am always moved by "People Like Us" from LaChiusa's Wild Party. Also, the "Hey There (Reprise)/If You Win You Lose" from The Pajama Game (revival)- the songs are beautiful and O'Hara and Connick sound divine together.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#10re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:07am

theaterboy I respectfully disagree with I'll Cover You being more powerful than my picks from Rent- but if I were to pick one from Rent, it'd be Without you.

There are clearly more powerful than from the two shows I choose but I'm still quite admittedly new to theater and can't think of much other powerful ballads of love. I just thought I'd put my two cents in

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#11re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:09am

I love the "Hey There/ If You Win You Lose" pairing! The counterpoint is beautiful.

Anyway, I guess this all depends on what your definition of powerful is. And what your definition of a "love song" is.

I completely agree with the OP about "You Should Be Loved". I played Jake in Side Show, and i think thats probably the hardest song I EVER had to sing onstage. It just took SO much out of me. But was extremely fulfilling. Side Show was one of my best experiences on a show, ever.

I'd also say "Fable" from The Light in the Piazza. Now that song is powerful.

"...and in a bed."

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:10am

There are clearly more powerful than from the two shows I choose but I'm still quite admittedly new to theater and can't think of much other powerful ballads of love. I just thought I'd put my two cents in

Awwww, that was cute.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ray-andallthatjazz86
#13re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:11am

That's perfectly fine, shh282. Take a listen to a few of the songs we've mentioned on here though, you might appreciate how romantic, haunting, and ultimately insanely powerful they are.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jackson992
#14re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:12am

I gotta add On My Own to that list

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#15re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:14am

I don't know if it falls into the "powerful" category but one love song that always gets to me is "I've Never Been in Love Before" from "Guys and Dolls". To me it's all about a wonderful new experience and letting your guard down to let love in.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Theatreboy49
#16re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:15am

You dont even know the envy I am feeling right now knowing that you played Jake. I only got the cd to Side show like 2 months ago and its found its way into my top 10 favorite shows of all time. I somehow feel ill never get to play the role as im very short and white, as well as very jewish looking with glasses. Picture Mark with dark brown hair lol. I can only imagine what it is like to sing that song infront of an audience.

Broadway baby i actually have always questioned about both Wild Partys. I dont really know if there is really a love song in either of them. I would say people like us is probably the closest thing either show has to one. In lippa's version the only thing I would think is a love song would be What is it about her? or Ill be Here and I think that they dont make the strongest cases forthemselves.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#17re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:23am

Lol, It was absolutely amazing. An experience I will never forget. Side Show is an AMAZING show and I'm so happy to see how much you love it, and just from the cast album! And the album isn't even complete, the show is pretty much sung through, and there's a lot they cut from the album.

"...and in a bed."

Kasie Profile Photo
Kasie
#18re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:33am

I will agree with Elaborate Lives and Move On. Very powerful indeed.

bwaybabe2
#19re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:35am

..."Awwww, that was cute."--blaxx

Now, THAT line was cute.

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#20re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:36am

RAATJ - I'm currently listening to your list of powerful love songs, and thank you so so much for suggesting I listen to them, I love them all especially "Whoever You are, I love you", "Too Many Mornings" and "Losing My Mind"- these are exactly my type of guilty pleasure music that I have no guilty feelings towards, I just have no other terms to describe it at 2:30 in the morning.

I've actually also rediscovered songs more specifically "Tonight" from WSS which I forgot had the Maria/Tony section to it- for some reason I blocked that out and only remember the Jets bit.

I also wished to reference SITPWG's songs but I had no recollection of their names and no cast recording on my Itunes, those two were my two of my favorites aside from the title song when I saw it last month- and now I know their names, hooray.

[realizes she's going on and on and thinks it's time to crash. night all.]

ray-andallthatjazz86
#21re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 2:57am

Well, the "Tonight" I was referring to was the Balcony duet, but you're right, the "Quintet" also has that beautiful moment where Tony and Maria sing.
Glad you're enjoying the other songs :)

monestere Profile Photo
monestere
#22re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 3:02am

"And This is My Beloved" from KISMET

My Avatar is the amazing young singer, James Anest

newyorkrbust
#23re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 8:11am

I'll Cover You (Reprise)-Rent
Elaborate Lives- Aida

It really said US Navy, but hey, I worked with what they gave me ok.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#24re: Most Powerful Broadway Love Song
Posted: 5/16/08 at 8:18am

"This Nearly Was Mine" from SOUTH PACIFIC
"Love, Look Away" from FLOWER DRUM SONG

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Videos