News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for MagicalMusical

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
Member Name: MagicalMusical
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: Another gay guy who falls into the stereotype of liking musical theater. But the gayness doesn't stop there. I particularly love magical musicals, about fantasy, fairy tales, poofy dresses, sparkly special effects, and, yes, Disney.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE WIZ Previews  May 13 2024, 06:04:07 PM

Thanks for your review, seaweedjstubs. I wanted to see this, and it's interesting to know how they tried to tie Evilene in, and I had heard the book was improved, but it sounds like it was mostly hurt instead of helped. I still may buy a cheap ticket fort this. I don't know. I may just wait to save my money for Death Becomes Her. I wish we got a good Wiz revival instead of this. Good thing I own the Wiz Live!

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  May 13 2024, 05:56:55 PM

The costumes, sets, staging and dancing look glorious! And seeing how much Cynthia and Ariana want to be in this, and how much Jon M. Chu wants to direct this, makes me so excited!

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024  May 13 2024, 05:46:52 PM

I think Madeline should be arguing with Ernest at the top of the stairs and then fall down by accident. That way Ernest isn't a murderer who gets off in the end.

Baker's Wife in Into The Woods Arc  Feb 28 2024, 12:51:01 AM

Wow, I am.loving what all you defenders of the Baker's Wife's arc are saying! So very, very well put Kad, Chrishuyen, MemorableUserName, bear88, derquegk, rattleNwoolypenguin. And henrikegerman, damn!

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Feb 28 2024, 12:31:27 AM

joevitus said: "CarlosAlberto said:Since the film was brought up I'll chip in my 2 cents...forwhatever that's worth. I agree that the individual musical numbers in the film are (for the most part) spectacular. The Oz/NYC hybrid as a concept is brilliant, but it lacks proper execution in many sequences. A lot of this film is just way too dark. Munchinkland, which is supposed to be full of vibrant color in contrast to Dorothy's normal existence is dark, the cinematograp

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Feb 23 2024, 10:39:45 AM

Kad said: "Even though the film as a whole doesn’t cohere, I can’t really bring myself to dislike it. The individual musical numbers are all incredible. The art direction and conception of anOz/NYC hybrid is genuinely brilliant and realized extremely well- it’s incredibly specific, rooted in Dorothy’s character and the experience of urban Black Americans at the time, and has a point of view.

Contemporary takes on it just sort of become a generic Afr

I tried...  Feb 20 2024, 09:45:38 AM

DJD4 said: "I also loved her performance! I feel like nobody was talking about how good her acting is in this. I watched this with my partner (who doesn't love musicals), and he was like "why the hell is everyone freaking out about Margot Robbie when Fantasia gave a performance like THAT". In a less competitive year she might've won."

I completely agree! Margot was good but Fantasia was so touching! If only she could have been nominated in a less co

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Feb 20 2024, 09:27:06 AM

TBFL said: "MagicalMusical said: "This only complaint I have is I wish the silver slippers would flash with magical ruby red power from Elphie's spell, to make them both silver slippers and ruby slippers, and the curtain the Wizard's giant head is behind looks chintzy..."

You won't have that complaint once you have seen the film wink"

Ooooh, thank you, I am excited to see!

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Feb 20 2024, 09:22:57 AM

Owen22 said: "I'm really afraid reading some of these reviews.

I saw the show's first tour in Detroit and loved it. I had been an Oz fanatic as a kid and I remember really appreciating that the adaptation stayed closer to L Frank Baum's source material than even the MGM film. There was even less psychology to the characters than even the film gave. It was basically a black version of the children's book. Very funny, not very nuanced but what a score. It was

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Feb 15 2024, 12:53:49 PM

It's true, the 1939 Wizard of Oz looked fake and shiny. Ok, point made, now I have very few complaints! Still thought it looked great overall and want to see it so badly!

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Feb 13 2024, 08:29:11 PM

I loved the teaser! Yes, it does have a fake, shiny, sometimes cartoony look in some parts, especially the last part where Elphie flies during her riff, but...the costumes are beautiful, the production design is stunning (did you see the intricate, ornate Emerald City?!), Cynthia Erivo's riff is fantastic (I love what some people called it, a "battle cry"!), and the acting looks like it miiiight be good to me! I did not get Elphie saying "I am" when

I tried...  Feb 13 2024, 07:39:46 PM

Fantasia's performance as Celie was so beautiful to me, and really touched me. I loved how she acted. It was so  moving. I wish she had been nominated for the Oscar.

Fantasia was Robbed!  Feb 7 2024, 08:13:51 AM

seaweedjstubbs said: "Fantasia was indeed fantastic in the film. But if anyone robbed her of an Oscar nomination, it was the film itself. I don’t know whose decision it was to cut Celie and Shug’s fight that precedes “I’m Here” in the stage musical, but it was the worst decision they could’ve made for the movie. It robs “I’m Here” of all its power. The direction of the song didn’t do Fantasia any favors either. They just did

Fantasia was Robbed!  Feb 5 2024, 07:53:11 PM

I first saw Fantasia's display of acting talent back when she sang "I'm Here" from The Color Purple at the 2007 Tony Awards. I thought she was so good, and I don't often notice such good acting and singing together from musicals that aren't of much interest to me. She was remarkable. Fast forward to very recently, and though I had only wanted to see the orginal, non-musical The Color Purple for a while because it is known as a classic, it wasn't

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Feb 3 2024, 07:33:28 PM

I saw The Wiz film as a kid, and I loved it. As an adult, I guess I am surprised, considering how many people say it's bad, that I still love it. To be fair, maybe nostalgia is at play, and The Wizard of Oz is a story I love so much I love a lot of versions of it, but with the amazing soundtrack, what I consider to be a fantastic, yes, you read that right, fantastic, emotional and vocal performence from Diana Ross, a good performance from Michael Jackson, Evilene and the Wiz himself, and

MEAN GIRLS Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread  Jan 15 2024, 05:34:55 PM

This was not as good as the original, especially with Cady's and Janis' actresses, but Regina was perfect and this was a good time. The costumes were amazing! And, does anyone feel Cady, lackluster as she was, was so much like a younger (and less good) Amy Adams, Amy would have been perfectly cast as her mom, and it would have been really uncanny?

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Nov 15 2023, 09:56:33 AM

Let's all ignore the troll and talk about Wicked. If something is an attack, we can report it.

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Jun 15 2023, 05:01:16 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I like the Sondheim quote about THE WIZ because it’s so clearly a show he never could/would write. I think that’s one of the things that endeared LMM to some of the old greats early on: he’s steeped in the classics, but writing in a style they would never touch. It’s like Kubrick loving ALL THAT JAZZ or Spielberg giving BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR the Cannes Palme D’or."

I think you are probably right!

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour  Jun 14 2023, 10:32:16 AM

The Wiz is in my top five favorite musicals, and I was very surprised to learn it was Sondheim's top favorite!:

The Wiz wound up becoming a Broadway smash and winning seven Tonys, including one for Best Musical and one for Bridgewater (making her the only Glinda to win the prize). And when The Wiz closed four years later, it was the 11th longest-running musical in Broadway history.

Arguably more impressive is Stephen Sondheim’s opinion. Whenever he’s asked for a favorite show that he didn’t write, he immediately says The Wiz.

What?! With all its false rhymes?! “Because,” he always says, “it’s the one show which makes you feel better when you come out of it than you did when you walked in.”

https://masterworksbroadway.com/blog/the-wiz-and-i/

Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread  Jun 6 2023, 10:30:02 AM

I have to admit, when I heard the guy who did Hamiltion's csotumes was doing this, I was worried. Those costumes were not only for the stage, but were so simple. They were good, but simple. But after seeing a lot of the leaked photos, God, he's perfect! And the production design, damn!

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You