News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for philly03

philly03 Profile Photo
Member Name: philly03
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SONG OF BERNADETTE musical  May 4 2022, 11:05:13 PM

pmensky said: "John Adams said: "An "I Want" song for St Bernadette? This Disney version of St. Bernadette looks to be as disconnected from reality as pmensky.sad"

Disney is not involved in this production, and the song Jeremy Jordan sings is neither sung by Bernadette nor an “I want” song. “I want” songs are sung by the central character at the beginning of the story. Jordan’s character is a secondary one, and this song is sung just before the spring is discovered which takes place well into the story. Keep calling me names, referring to me as a child, etc., but please continue insulting me while also saying a bunch of wacky, inaccurate stuff, contradicting yourself, then pretending you never wrote what we can all read. You’re very entertaining, and your lack of knowledge is very easy to point out.
"

Not true (at least during development). This is a joint venture of Indie Theatrical (Louis Hobson who was in Bonnie & Clyde on Broadway) and Buena Vista Theatrical (aka Disney Theatrical).

https://indietheatrical.com/shows/bernadette/

Oscar Winning Screenwriter Adapting JEKYLL AND HYDE Musical for Screen  Mar 19 2019, 03:41:26 PM

ANASTASIA Sets March 31st Closing Date  Feb 6 2019, 12:18:17 AM

According to the NY Times "The show was capitalized for up to $15 million, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission; it has not recouped its capitalization costs."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/theater/anastasia-musical-closing.html

I just saw this this past weekend, and could not agree more with RippedMan re: the ending. It's based on that cartoon, I would've been fine with a cartoonish ending of Dimitri wrestling him to the ground or something. Great score, but I am excited for the creative team's Marie (formerly Little Dancer) this spring in Seattle.

Manhattan Concert Productions to do  Jan 30 2019, 01:09:43 PM

Actually kind of surprised with this choice... I would've thought they would've lined up with a bigger voice from the Wildhorn-world: Ryan Silverman, Rob Evan, Jeremy Jordan, etc

Ever After Musical  Jan 30 2019, 12:57:55 PM

Sierra was in It Should've Been You (?) during the entire run of the original Ever After at Papermill...

Ever After Musical  Jan 24 2019, 08:50:04 AM

Scarlet Leigh said: "philly03 said: "My last comment is on the tone - is this supposed to be satire (all the political books)? Comedy? "Historic-fiction" drama? There doesn't seem to be a clear idea of what this is."

The tone of the MOVIE is very much the last one,"Historic-fiction" drama. And the LAST thing the movie was was a satire. I'm curious as to what on the show caused satire to be the thing that came to mind FIRST wit

Ever After Musical  Jan 24 2019, 12:34:37 AM

What happened to Linda Eders career?  Dec 6 2018, 02:47:51 PM

She also just performed at the Philly Thanksgiving Day parade, but I missed it, and can't seem to find footage of it now.

What happened to Linda Eders career?  Sep 18 2018, 02:27:15 PM

Linda never wanted to be famous, nor was she ever set on being a "Broadway star" (that was Frank Wildhorn's idea). She had a lot of high profile fans too - Rosie O'Donnell, Kathy Lee Gifford, I even sat next to Larry King once at Feinstein's at one of her concerts.

Years ago with WONDERLAND she was asked to be The Mad Hatter (the role would go to Kate Shindle for the second Tampa/Broadway run), but the story is she didn't want to be out of town for months

National Tour Flops  Jun 27 2018, 02:29:28 PM

ALW's Whistle Down the Wind could not sell tickets, even with promo for Andrea Ross (she must have been 16/17 at the time?) who was being hailed as Andrew's next prodigy at the time. It was also one of those "rumored for Broadway" tours. 

Manhattan Concert Productions to do  Jun 27 2018, 02:27:12 PM

Sierra Boggess to play Maria in West Side Story in London  Apr 22 2018, 10:08:03 AM

Where was the outrage at Lea Salonga playing Mother in Ragtime, which was specifically written as a "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant"?

I am in the boat of the best singer/actor should get the job, regardless of race/etc.

Tell Me on a Sunday - Walnut Street  Mar 2 2018, 01:51:15 PM

Does anyone know who is the lead in Tell Me on a Sunday at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philly? 

Additionally, does anyone know which version of the musical they are doing? (Original, Broadway, UK 03, etc?)

LOVE NEVER DIES - US Tour  Dec 12 2017, 04:44:19 PM

Roles for Jill paice  Jun 8 2017, 10:49:49 AM

She wouldve been great as "I" in Rebecca had the show happened. She is one of my favorites as well.

REBA  Jun 8 2017, 10:05:33 AM

Lea Salonga over Daphne Rubin-Vega, Les Mis 2006

Rachel York over Christine Andreas, The Scarlet Pimpernel

Best/Worst Alan Menken Musical?  May 18 2017, 11:09:50 AM

Best: Sister Act or Beauty and the Beast

Worst: Leap of Faith, although his music was the best part and not an issue. It was those lyrics and book!

Longest Run for a Show with No Noms  May 2 2017, 09:11:49 PM

Other trivia - Jekyll & Hyde was the only musical not nominated for "Best Musical" in the 96-97 season (out of 5) and was the longest running of them all (4 years). Titanic won that year (and ran for 2 years).

Riedel on the Rebecca civil trial  Apr 26 2017, 10:19:56 PM

"And yet we know someone had because, by opening (as opposed to the preview version), "Carpe Noctem" -- at least -- was a dead rip of the original."

Kunze was brought in I believe just prior to previews, and was likely him. Jim Steinmen was going to do original "translation" prior with another book writer... and the producers, if I remember the quote "wanted 10 jokes on each script page."

Riedel on the Rebecca civil trial  Apr 26 2017, 03:38:50 PM

Kunze wasn't that much involved with Broadway Dance with Vampires either until VERY late into the game...

The only musicals I can think of that were done by non-Americans abroad that tried to go to Broadway or the West End would be Napoleon (Canadian writers, tried out in Toronto then tanked on the West End); The Ten Commandments (French, w/ Val Kilmer and Lauren Kennedy in LA from the French production - such a disaster never even made it to Broadway); Notre Dam

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You