News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Len Gersten

Member Name: Len Gersten
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Fyvush Finkel Has Passed Away
 Aug 15 2016, 12:19:39 PM

What a talented performer.  He will be greatly missed.  May his memory be a blessing to all who enjoyed his work.

what is the OFF BROADWAY show to see?
 Feb 2 2016, 03:12:33 PM

I would highly recommend "Old Hats" at the Signature Theater.  Saw it two years ago, and both Bill Irwin and David Shiner were brilliant with Nellie McKay doing the musical accompaniment.  This time, Shania Taub is providing the music and lyrics and is featured with Mr. Irwin and Mr. Shiner. 

Curious Incident Rush
 Jan 11 2015, 12:47:58 PM
BUMP.
An American in Paris first performance
 Nov 21 2014, 08:08:04 PM
Thanks for your comments on the production you saw. An American in Paris is one of my all-time favorite Gene Kelly (and Leslie Caron) movie musicals and I am looking forward to the stage version coming soon to Broadway. Your reaction makes me want to see it all the more!!
Bob Crewe of Four Seasons fame dies at 83
 Sep 16 2014, 12:19:28 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the YouTube clip of "An Angel Is Love" from the film "Barbarella. I've only caught parts of the movie, and I'm not familiar with the soundtrack, but I had heard Mr. Crewe was involved in producing the music for the film. I will be adding "Barbarella" to the list of films I want to see.
The Fantasticks - what's the rewritten final line?
 Sep 13 2014, 01:34:36 PM
Nice discussion regarding the rewriting of the final line in the show. I've seen the show three times over the years (once in the Sullivan Street Theatre and the last two at the Snapple Theatre), and plan to go a fourth time during the current 20at20 promotion. I will look forward to the updated ending. Thanks!
Bob Crewe of Four Seasons fame dies at 83
 Sep 13 2014, 01:21:22 PM
Besides his association with the Four Seasons and Frankie Valli (and Jersey Boys), Bob Crewe was an extremely accomplished music maker. Starting with hit singles in the '50's by the Rays ("Silhouettes") and Billie and Lillie ("La Dee Dah" and "Lucky Ladybug"), and '60's with Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Leslie Gore, Oliver and even one-hit wonder Norma Tanega ("Walking My Cat Named Dog"), and into the '70's writing and producing albums for the likes of
First Broadway Show(s)!
 Aug 27 2014, 03:37:02 PM
What a wonderful thread to read through! I was introduced to live theater by a visit from my future brother-in-law, when my then girlfriend (and future wife) decided to make a visit into NYC over the holidays in 1988 and get tickets for a show at the TKTS booth. By the time we made it to the front of the line, the only Broadway show that still had seats available was none other than Oh! Calcutta! What an introduction!! Since then, I have attended at least a couple of hundred Broadway product
Bells are ringing
 Jul 7 2014, 05:42:48 PM
I'm going to have to pop that cd into my car stereo tomorrow morning on my commute to work and revisit the score. You may very well be correct in your assessment, Wilmingtom.

Bells are ringing
 Jul 7 2014, 03:44:30 PM
The Encores production a few seasons back with Kelli O'Hara was fabulous. Enough so that I immediately went out and purchased the original OBC recording on cd with the legendary Judy Holiday. I've seen the film on numerous occasions and would watch it again in a heartbeat! As GavestonPS suggested, an updated book might make this property a more attractive option for a revival.
When will they pull the plug on Bullets
 Jul 7 2014, 03:19:04 PM
My wife and I saw this show about a month ago. We both enjoyed it enough to check out the source material, the 1996 film it was based on. The musical does not stray very much from the film version. I had not seen the film since its original release in 1996. The reason we gave the show a try was because I remembered the movie being clever and funny and felt it was an inspired choice of Woody Allen films to transfer to the stage. I enjoyed the use of the old standards from the '20s and '30s u
Act One Movie
 Jul 5 2014, 01:07:48 PM
I was off from work one day earlier this week, turned on TCM while having lunch and caught this film. I am a huge classic movie fan but did not realize Moss Hart's memoir had been the basis of a film. I never got the chance to see the play at Lincoln Center, but felt fortunate to have seen this screen version. I was wondering how similar the play was to the film, so it was interesting to read your comments, Mr Roxy. I would agree the film is worth seeking out. I have never been a fan of Geo
RIP Eli Wallach
 Jun 25 2014, 01:15:05 PM
Never had the opportunity to see him perform onstage, but have enjoyed his work in films and television. Just amazing that he was still active at 98 years of age.

Rest in peace.

Why is nobody talking about the Jersey Boys Movie?
 Jun 1 2014, 05:30:19 PM
As someone who is a long-time theater patron, as well as being an even-longer-time fan of The Four Seasons, I am anxiously awaiting this film's premiere. As others on this board have noted, because Jersey Boys is not a traditional Broadway musical but more a bio-musical with songs originally introduced on commercial top-40 radio stations from back in the day, it does not garner the enthusiastic following of most posters on this board. So the limited exposure on this forum for either the show o
How many professional shows have you seen throughout your life?
 May 3 2014, 11:37:10 AM
My wife and I live in the suburbs of New York City and travel into the city to see a show (mostly Broadway, but also some off and off-off Broadway) an average of once a month. We've been together almost 26 years, so that would put the total number of shows I've seen with my wife at approximately 312. Then including other shows I've attended with just friends or myself, the number would climb to approximately 320. I am 57 years old, but did not attend any professional theater until my wife int
TDF Bridges of Madison County
 Apr 21 2014, 06:38:38 PM
My wife and I got tickets through TDF after it opened and had seats in the rear orchestra about four rows from the last row on the right side of the stage. We were about six seats off the aisle. Considering it's playing in a small Broadway theater, it was definitely worth the price.
An Evening With Ethel Merman (BBC--1965)
 Aug 3 2013, 11:56:46 AM
GavestonPS, to this casual theater-goer, your explanation and description of "in 1" was much more understandable and clearer than the one offered by justoldbill. You also added several other bits of information that made for a better appreciation of Ms. Merman's performance. Thanks for your input! Whenever I see your name come up on this message board, I know it will be a comment worth my time reading.
Merman performing on 1972 Tony Awards
 Aug 2 2013, 06:44:06 PM
Ms. Merman's performance was fabulous! Never had the chance to see her on the stage, but this tribute gives at least some sense of her star power performing live.

Off topic: but I was equally amazed by Ruby Keeler's performance during the "No No Nanette" number at the end of the telecast! I believe Ms. Keeler was in her early '60's at the time.

Jean Arthur Stage Door Stories
 Aug 1 2013, 01:13:38 AM
I adore Jean Arthur, but only know her work from the classic films she appeared in back in the day. I believe "Shane" was her last film role in the early '50's. Unfortunately, she was way before my time of going to live theater. Would have loved to have seen her perform on the stage. Meeting her afterward at the stage door would have made for a magical experience.

Thanks for starting this thread, Joe. Hoping some long-time fans have some stories to share.

West End Theatre Discounts
 May 8 2013, 12:49:46 PM
Regarding the shows we'd like to see, I don't think we're really interested in shows we've already seen multiple times on Broadway (e.g. A Chorus Line, Spamalot, Phantom of the Opera, Jersey Boys) or even just once (39 Steps, Billy Elliot, Book of Mormon, Les Mis, One Man Two Guvnors, Wicked), or other shows available on New York City stages. Being a classic movie fan, I was considering either Top Hat or Singing in the Rain, but we would certainly be open to other recommended choices. And we'd
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You