News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Paul W. Thompson

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Member Name: Paul W. Thompson
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Donaldson Awards and Other Tony Precursors  Aug 20 2018, 01:32:33 PM
This seems very new on Wikipedia. God bless the person who found the complete winners list in a 1955 Billboard article and posted this!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaldson_Awards

Chicago's 'The King And I' audio broadcast on 1 May  May 1 2016, 10:49:23 PM

Yay, applause for the dance!!

Chicago's 'The King And I' audio broadcast on 1 May  May 1 2016, 10:27:50 PM

It's still in the ballet!

Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?  Nov 8 2015, 12:09:09 AM

And yes, the OBCR of "Funny Girl" was nominated in 1965, but so was Barbra's "People" album. That may have split some votes, and the award went to Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto, in a rare win for a jazz album.

Hamilton OBCR- Grammy Album of the Year?  Nov 8 2015, 12:05:40 AM

As a Grammy voter, I would say that "Hamilton" has an outside shot at being nominated for Album of the Year. Not a good shot, but it's possible.

Note that the OBCR of "Jesus Christ Superstar" was nominated for Album of the Year in 1973, but didn't win. Conventional folklore has it that Grammy voters either thought they were nominating the original studio cast recording (which was eligible in a prior year), or were trying to make up for not n

Most iconic musical theatre typeface  Oct 12 2015, 04:14:59 AM

Amazing Grace reviews  Jul 17 2015, 01:00:30 AM

John Newton wrote the lyrics to the title song, not the familiar tune. William Walker is credited with that, decades after Newton's death.

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 22 2015, 07:28:52 PM

I don't know, but I suspect that perhaps they didn't formally apply. Last year's "The Sound of Music" did win our BroadwayWorld Chicago Award for Best Special Theatrical Event. 

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 22 2015, 07:14:02 PM

This is their very first traditional musical to be Jeff-eligible, and yes, it was "Jeff Recommended," which means that voters are urged to see it. 

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 22 2015, 05:06:12 PM

To be fair, let's keep in mind that there are 3,563 seats! Times 8 shows a week.

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 21 2015, 01:07:13 AM

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-Laura-Osnes-and-Steven-Pasquale-Perform-If-I-Loved-You-from-Lyric-Operas-CAROUSEL-20150420

Amazing Grace to open at The Nederlander this summer....  Apr 17 2015, 02:39:17 AM

My review for BroadwayWorld of the show's Chicago tryout:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-REVIEWS-AMAZING-GRACEs-World-Premiere-in-Chicago-Sweet-Sounds-Heavy-Themes-Close-to-Completion-20141020

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 12 2015, 03:50:59 PM

While nothing on the Lyric website mentions Houston, here is the HGO website:

https://www.houstongrandopera.org/Site/Tickets/calendar/view.aspx?id=6813

Same production a year from now, with a different cast.

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 12 2015, 04:33:09 AM

My review is up!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/chicago/article/Lyric-Opera-of-Chicagos-CAROUSEL-Is-Huge-Audaciously-Daring-and-Bracingly-Human-20150412

CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 11 2015, 09:41:03 PM

It's intermission now. I'm here reviewing the show for BroadwayWorld! All the critics are here. Reviews will come, I can assure you!

2015 Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Theater Album Nominees  Feb 8 2015, 11:17:05 PM
Sorry! My cell signal is acting up. Obviously!
2015 Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Theater Album Nominees  Feb 8 2015, 11:11:41 PM
The Grammy goes to the Best Musical Tony winner about half of the time. When it doesn't, the Tony win that correlates to the Grammy most often is Best Actress. That was true this year, as well as for "Wicked" and "Dreamgirls," to name just two other examples. There have been odd wins, but they are usually explained by some connection to the recording industry, or to huge popularity.
2015 Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Theater Album Nominees  Feb 8 2015, 11:11:40 PM
The Grammy goes to the Best Musical Tony winner about half of the time. When it doesn't, the Tony win that correlates to the Grammy most often is Best Actress. That was true this year, as well as for "Wicked" and "Dreamgirls," to name just two other examples. There have been odd wins, but they are usually explained by some connection to the recording industry, or to huge popularity.
2015 Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Theater Album Nominees  Feb 8 2015, 11:11:38 PM
2015 Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Theater Album Nominees  Feb 8 2015, 11:11:35 PM
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You