News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for BlueWizard

BlueWizard Profile Photo
Member Name: BlueWizard
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://individual.utoronto.ca/soloman/
Blog Address: http://ramblingcorner.blogspot.com/
Profile:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Nudity on Broadway  Apr 3 2006, 01:06:17 AM
Marin Mazzie in PASSION.

Is it true that Jere Shea was also nude and walking about onstage, but they cut out his bits for the DVD?

The Hedwig look  Feb 26 2006, 07:50:23 PM
Is Mary J. Blige wearing a wig in a box?
re: OMG Les Miz Will Return to Broadway  Feb 16 2006, 08:38:05 PM
Yay! I understand the misgivings, but I personally can't help but feel thrilled. At the very least, the return engagement will be brimming with euphoric nostalgia. It'll just be one big lovefest.
re: WALK THE LINE  Feb 8 2006, 09:01:25 PM
I agree, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE deserved a Best Picture nomination over MUNICH and CRASH. Even over CAPOTE, if it came down to it.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DIVINE WOULD BE SO UPSET!  Jan 30 2006, 12:37:58 AM
Hmm, maybe I'll audition as an extra. There were Asians in 1960s Baltimore, weren't there?
re: Beyonce to write new songs for DREAMGIRLS flick  Jan 29 2006, 07:27:26 PM
My confidence in Bill Condon is being tested....
re: Spelling Bee Adult Show 1-22-06, who's going?  Jan 28 2006, 06:26:58 PM
Reuters now has an article on the adult shows.
re: Mulan?  Jan 27 2006, 11:32:17 PM
Of course it won't happen, since MULAN was only a minor hit (I'm surprised they're doing TARZAN as it is), but in another universe....

If a stage adaptation MULAN was conceived in the vein of Taymor's THE LION KING (incorporating elements of the source culture into the staging), it would be amazing. Imagine Chinese theatrical devices, design and acrobats. MULAN is also an ideal choice for adaptation because there are four or five songs in the film, which means a large amount of new

re: The Times They Are A-Changin'  Jan 27 2006, 09:34:49 PM
We need to see more of Michael Arden. Both temporally and bodily.
re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?  Jan 26 2006, 05:39:04 PM
Ugh, I hated BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. I felt like I was watching Disney On Ice, only without the ice.

THE LION KING, all the way. I found the plot more appealing, and I liked how Julie Taymor made the impossible possible, while also bringing out the story's mythical elements.

re: ALW & Les Mis  Jan 25 2006, 12:30:57 AM
Yeah, he REALLY wanted PHANTOM at the Palace, and was quite peeved that he had to concede. But I've never heard of him attacking the quality of LES MIZ, though; would be quite strange for him to do it publicly, seeing as he had to work with Cameron Mackintosh for PHANTOM.

And am I the only one who thinks LES MIZ has a distinctly different musical vein from ALW's work?

re: Top Five Most Powerful Shows You've Seen  Jan 25 2006, 12:27:36 AM
You mean the kind of show that leaves a knot in your throat and your face chapped with the salt of your tears?

In no particular order:

THE NORMAL HEART (2004 revival)

THE LARAMIE PROJECT (an outstanding college production in Toronto, 2005)

DEATH OF A SALESMAN (on the West End, with Dennehy and Claire Higgins)

INTO THE WOODS (silly, I know, but "No One Is Alone" hits a deep nerve in me)

KING LEAR (with Ian Holm, for the National Theatre)

re: 'Caroline, or Change' Going to London  Jan 24 2006, 11:46:45 PM
The Brits enjoyed the Brian Dennehy revival of DEATH OF A SALESMAN well enough, even though it's a deeply American work. And ANGELS IN AMERICA -- which takes place in a complicated, American historical context -- was a big hit in London before it hit Broadway. Not to mention MISS SAIGON (though one could argue MISS SAIGON was a distinctly foreign interpretation of a Viet-American phenomenon).

I'd say CAROLINE OR CHANGE has enough universal themes for it to be appealing to British

re: 'The Scottish Play'  Jan 24 2006, 09:42:03 PM
Dollypop is right: most of the "bad luck" that surrounds MACBETH is because it's a play that demands a lot of effects, and was originally written for the candle-lit private playhouses, not the open-air public theatres.

Another source of superstition is, of course, the witches. Any Elizabethan/Jacobean play that had occult elements were always regarded with a bit of fear and dismay by a Devil-fearing audience, since chants, potions and spells are being made onstage (another example is M

FIRST PICTURE OF DREAMETTES IN 'DREAMGIRLS' MOVIE MUSICAL!!  Jan 19 2006, 01:01:03 AM
Don't know if these have been posted, by the blog JustJared has some photos taken during the recording session:

Also Beyonce (?) on the set / screen test (?):

re: Jonathan Pryce as Lawrence Jameson  Jan 17 2006, 10:43:30 PM
I cherish my MISS SAIGON and OLIVER! CDs. I'd say Jonathan Pryce is vocally stronger than John Lithgow, although both are good. They actually sound quite similar.

re: Natthew and Nathan How Long?  Jan 17 2006, 06:21:15 PM
6" and 6.5". I won't say whose is which, though I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
hot  Jan 17 2006, 12:26:58 AM
As I had predicted, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN took home four awards. Michelle Williams didn't win, but I was pleasantly surprised that the film took Best Song.

Highlight of the evening: Sandra Oh. She was truly ecstatic about getting an award. She still has that innocence and passion for her art. I've been watching her career since she was doing indie Canadian films in the mid-90s, and I'm glad that her career has blossomed so nicely.

Overall the speeches were better than usual. <

re: The Gift of Anne Rice...  Jan 15 2006, 07:50:04 PM
Yes, I think grizzabella's comments were uncalled for, especially since Anne Rice's financial contributions to the rebuilding of New Orleans has been quite substantial and fairly well documented.

I haven't read anything by Rice in years, but that blurb doesn't sound like it was written by her at all. I remember her being quite modest in interviews and the like.

re: john & jen in Toronto  Jan 13 2006, 04:21:15 PM
Begins January 26th.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You