News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bsherms

Member Name: bsherms
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: 'Angels'
 Mar 30 2008, 08:23:37 PM
I was wondering the same thing, Fiercey. They all seem to think it's an amazingly big deal. I cringe in sympathy for the moment when they realize it's not.

But who knows. Maybe they'll completely rewrite everything and make it awesome.

"Angels"
 Mar 11 2008, 06:24:01 PM
If anyone has been on playbill searching through the jobs wanted thing, you have probably noticed the new up-and-coming musical.

My curiosity is threatening to engulf me. What does everyone think of this potentially incredible/horrific musical?

re: Next to Normal - Next to Good
 Mar 10 2008, 07:23:17 PM
I found the Feeling Electric scene deliciously disturbing, actually. I loved when they got into Diana's mind, personally, I thought it added great flavor to a show that could easily have been a Lifetime movie. Another thing I absolutely loved was Gabe. My favorite scenes were definitely with Alice and Brian, and basically whenever Aaron came onstage because I thought his character was an incredible and powerful influence on the story (and he's just damn good). I do agree that they should
does melky rape wendy?
 Feb 13 2008, 01:01:39 PM
Okay, I see where you're coming from, Craww, and it makes sense. However, I still disagree strongly. In my mind, you're putting words in Wendla's mouth. To others, she is victimized. But Wendla never gives even a hint that she regrets or is suffering from the sex she had with Melchior in any way. You can view her death as a result of your perceived "rape", if you want, but you can also view her death as the sad result of a fearful and restricted society.
And on a slightly related note: why

does melky rape wendy?
 Feb 7 2008, 06:16:01 PM
So, because she does not realize the full extent to what she is consenting to, that makes it rape? I see where you are coming from, but even if it is rape by definition (which I disagree about), the fact that Wendla is not emotionally scarred defies that. Rape is something the victim feels victimized about. Even when Wendla learns about what sex leads to, she still does not regret having it with Melchior. Wendla does not consider herself a victim. Wendla considers it consensual. Even if you do n
does melky rape wendy?
 Feb 6 2008, 09:37:21 PM
And yet those are the only two times she says no in the musical. And, as I already mentioned, she does not seem to regret the act. So, once again, I ask: how is she a rape victim if she does not feel victimized in any way?
does melky rape wendy?
 Feb 6 2008, 06:45:08 PM
"Just by consenting to let him continue touching and kissing her, she didn't initiate the sex. "

True, just consenting is not initiating. However, as I've said multiple times, in the musical Melchior stops both times she says no. The first time, Wendla says no as he's trying to kiss her. Melchior stops, and Wendla ends up kissing him to continue what they are doing. The second time she says no and he stops, taking his hand off her chest. She proceeds to place it back onto her chest.

does melky rape wendy?
 Feb 5 2008, 06:38:55 PM
"So bsherms, you say its not rape because Melchior stops both times that Wendla tells him to and that she intiates the sex both times.
But eastvillage wrote earlier that "Once the no word is said you're in rape territory -- no matter what happens afterwards"
So which one of is right? "

I disagree, personally, with eastvillage. Honestly, if the victim initiaites the sex, then they are not a victim.

re: GAG ME WITH A RAZOR: Why I Hate Tim Burton's SWEENEY TODD
 Feb 4 2008, 09:35:05 PM
Oliver,

You seem to be very healthily planted in your opinion--good for you! However, as a fellow lover of Ed Wood (and a lover of certain parts of Sweeney Todd) I feel I have to, if not defend, at least illuminate Johnny Depp's performance. Hopefully said illumination may bring reason to the "emotional stiffness" (I think you called it) Johnny exudes in this film. As an actor myself, I love when subtetly is done right, and when you aren't beaten over the head with the "I'M ANGRY" "I'M

does melky rape wendy?
 Feb 4 2008, 08:50:40 PM
Everyone should understand that the musical is NOT Wedekinde's play, nor is it ever supposed to be. It's Sater and Sheik's INTERPRETATION of Wedekind's play. Sater and Sheik view the story (and they have repeatedly said the following) as a parable NOT on the dangers of sexuality, but on the dangers of miscommunication between the knowledgeable and the unknowledgeable. Wedekind's play is a very wonderful piece, but it is not and never should it be comparable to Spring Awakening; that's like comp
re: No Mention Of What Should Be The Obvious Next Disney Musical
 Feb 4 2008, 08:18:52 PM
I'm really waiting for them to bring the amazing job they did on Hunchback to broadway. Honestly, after Tarzan, I didn't really have much faith in the Disney musical anymore. But then I remembered Der Glockner, which was incredible. Bring it to Broadway, Disney! Recognize the amazing pot of gold you have on your hands, and for God's sake, don't throw it away to produce things like Tarzan!
does melky rape wendy?
 Feb 2 2008, 10:45:54 PM
When I first saw the show, the thought that it was rape hadn't even really crossed my mind until I got home and joined discussions on it. I'm assuming this is because of how the actors played it the night I saw it; whenever Wendla protested outright, Melchior stopped what he was doing, and Wendla was one that resumed the act.

I could see it going both ways, but I personally saw it as consensual--and to me, that does not dumb down the play at all. The idea that Melchior is still a hero i

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You