News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for mikeonbroadway

Member Name: mikeonbroadway
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Final Shows That Should Have Been Taped
 Mar 13 2005, 11:41:42 AM
1. Yes you can, but you usually need some proof of why you want to watch the video...not just because you want to watch it. I had to tell them and then fill out a paper and show them my school ID...but they don't really follow through or ask alot of questions so if you made something up, i doubt they would know.

2. Illegal recordings of showswould hardly kill theatre (I don't have any, don't ask...I gave it up when I moved to New York.) People have been booting shows since the 70s or 80

re: Is the Broadway Musical dead? (Kind of a Poll)
 Mar 5 2005, 07:25:28 PM
It is and it isn't. Is the musical dead? No -- many continue to be written and produced. Both in regional theatre, on Broadway and in National Tours (not to mention abroad). However, the majority of these are either commercially aimed and/or revivals. I think the Broadway art form of the past (you know, with Sondheim) is in the process of dieing but could be revived with help from the New York critics and adventurous producers. But with New York being such an expensive place to mount a show and
re: Tony 'Best Musical' Question
 Mar 3 2005, 10:24:06 AM
even if off-broadway were considered at the tonys...bare would've been for last year's tony awards.

the village voice does the obies for off-broadway shows.

re: Dancing in the A Chorus Line Revival
 Feb 27 2005, 06:47:26 AM
I said it to the Fiddler revival and I'll say it to ACL (Which I love and will still see): Why revive a show if you aren't going to do something new with it? While the choreography is amazing (and everyone keeps mentioning 'One' what about the Opening number?) i'd like to see an interpretation on the original rather than a carbon copy.
re: Black Glinda?
 Feb 3 2005, 01:20:31 AM
I read to the fourth page and got sick of some of the pointless arguments. So, if this has already been said -- ignore it.

"And no, once again, A WHITE WOMAN CANNOT PLAY CAROLINE. The show, if you had seen it, is obviously about race and the african-american struggle in the 1960's. Caroline is a black maid in a white house which is ABSOLUTELY necessary to the story. If you, again, do not understand that, then I feel truly sorry for you. The role of a black maid cannot be played by a whi

re: HAIR synopsis
 Feb 3 2005, 12:47:34 AM
When and where (in the city) is your production?
re: Black Glinda?
 Feb 1 2005, 10:25:04 PM
Well, if you've at least heard the cast album they do say the word blonde.

I agree -- while I sometimes like the look of black women with blonde hair, the jokes would be completely lost as blonde jokes don't apply to unnaturally blonde people (and yes jlt wears a wig, but it can appear that she is naturally blonde...very very very few black women are naturally blonde.)

It isn't a racist thing to say, just some standards in casting...and I agree with the whole "White Aida" state

re: Funny/Horrible Mistakes on Live Performances!
 Jan 31 2005, 10:52:41 AM
I didn't see this mistake posted so I thought I'd tell:

2004 Rent on Broadway, Matt (Caplan) was coming out with the camera on the stand for Finale A...singing his song...and the camera fell off the stand and into the rush seats (if you've not rushed on broadway...it didn't hit anyone there's like a mile between the stage and the first row.) And matt just started cracking up and whoever it fell closest too wasn't moving to give it to him, so Matt just leaned over and said something to t

re: Favorite RENT Cast Member
 Nov 2 2004, 12:31:15 PM
Is this only OBC?

1. Matt Caplan/Jeremy Kushnier (Love them together as Mark/Roger)
2. Idina
3. Kristen

re: ADAM PASCAL IN L.A. FOR RENT MOVIE
 Oct 23 2004, 02:11:49 AM
"Read: Angel's death is symbolized by the image of a T-cell being destroyed by HIV, and after Collins informs Benny that he has "just paid for the funeral of the man who killed his dog," Benny proposes that he, Mark and Collins all go out and get drunk. A bit of ill-timed levity there. Jeez. But I'm still impressed by the staging of some of the songs and Chbosky's dialogue."

Erm -- that could be an interesting way for Angel's death, don't knock it till you see it. (Reverts to AiA again)

re: The Want of a Nail
 Oct 18 2004, 08:23:44 PM
Um, I think another funny part is at the very beginning when Fritzi greets Jill and Jill has no idea who Fritzi is and Fritzi responds, "We were in night, Mother together."

I didn't get that the first time I saw it until someone pointed out to me that nM is a two person show.

re: American Idol's 'Scooter Girl' Offered Maureen in RENT
 Oct 18 2004, 08:11:37 PM
*sheepish look* I liked Mel B (aka Scary Spice)'s Without You.
re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
 Oct 18 2004, 08:09:53 PM
About Rent:

I like the show, I'm a RENTHead, but I'm not going to pretend like it is the show to end all shows sent from the musical theatre gods. But the ending, while it is tacky is A)Not THAT predictable (at least back in '96 when it was still new) because in La Boheme, Mimi dies so the logical conclusion would be she would in Rent also. B)I'm probably not going to explain it correctly, but the point of the show isn't to be a downer, the whole No-Day-But-Today philosophy, and to have

re: Photos of Broadway Version of Angels in America?
 Oct 10 2004, 04:23:14 PM
"I would imagine that it is filmed and archived in the Library for the Performing Arts.
-d.b.j- "

It's not...and I've only found a couple pictures online from my searches a while back...

re: What Broadway show props/costumes do you own?
 Oct 6 2004, 09:56:34 PM
From RENT:

DIVA shirt
several of Mimi's stash

Sep 30 2004, 12:20:40 PM
Hi, I'm new to this thread, but definitely not new to bare. (At ATA I saw it 10 times.) I read and re-read on Rob's Blog and I didn't see any mention of bare, what is going on?
re: Shows that even with Free Tickets you would not see again
 Sep 24 2004, 01:40:18 AM
*Reads the rules*
*Ignores the rules*

Phantom.

I personally am just as interested to hear people's opinions on still running shows that they wouldn't see again for a free ticket...(and isn't it more likely to get a free ticket to a show that is still running than not? I mean...really if I got a free ticket to a show not currently running...I probably COULDN'T go see it.)

Anyway point being -- I'd like to hear what shows (currently playing included) people wouldn't

re: Homosexual themed play
 Sep 24 2004, 01:35:24 AM
You can find it on amazon for like $8, but if you mean who you can write to get the performance rights to, I don't know. A theatre teacher at your school should know, or be able to find out for you, though.
re: Brooklyn Review Tonight
 Sep 24 2004, 01:31:56 AM
My attempt at writing a review (which, I need to start doing if my hopes of being a theatre critic ever want to pan out. Don't judge this as a piece of journalism, though.)

The first 15 minutes of the show, aside from the songs I found myself rolling my eyes. A lot. The music was great and I found myself loving the set and the visuals. (Whoever said the costumes were amazing, I agree completely...the costumes were absolutely brill.) After about 6 or 7 of the songs, I didn't notice stand

re: Homosexual themed play
 Sep 24 2004, 01:18:00 AM
Yes, there are lots...unfortunately many of them aren't "school appropriate." My personal favourite (and always will, I suspect) is Tony Kushner's Angels in America. Also, Terrence McNally's Love! Valour! Compassion!...both of those are AIDS plays but pretty much deal with them in their confines of the gay community (I know, I know...AiA is about so much more than that, however a big chunk...). Anyway...AiA is very serious and funny in parts, where L!V!C! is very funny and serious at the same ti
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You