Black Glinda?

me101 Profile Photo
me101
#0Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:13pm

How do you guys feel about a black woman as Glinda? I've never seen Wicked, but I know its a fantasy show, and it can obvioiusly be color-blind cast (Saycon). I know Glinda is supposed to be the classic cutesy blue-eyed blonde, and it kind of goes against the Billie Burke image; but it is 2005, and I think it could definetly work.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. -Dorothy Parker

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:14pm

I think the role of Elphaba is far more suited for a black woman. Opposed to Glinda.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:15pm

I think it's totally acceptable. This show has no racial specifications, so ANYTHING could work and it's something I would definitely welcome.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

timote316
#3re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:15pm

Why not? The only racial thing thats important is Elphie is green, Glinda is not. Other than that, go for it. Updated On: 2/1/05 at 10:15 PM

BEKA531
#4re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:16pm

glinda's "look" definitely matters a lot more than elphaba. they can just slap on the green and they'd be all set. but glinda HAS to be blonde. What is This Feeling wouldn't work, and the blonde ditzy-ness would be lost. they make jlt wear a wig over her red hair...

BEKA531
#5re: Black Glinda?

sorry double Updated On: 2/1/05 at 10:16 PM

munkustrap178
#6re: Black Glinda?

Elphaba is no more suited for a black woman than any other female role in the show, that doesn't make much sense.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

timote316
#7re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:17pm

A black woman can wear a blond wig.

me101 Profile Photo
me101
#8re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:18pm

>>but glinda HAS to be blonde

wig, dye-job, extensions

take your pick

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. -Dorothy Parker

munkustrap178
#9re: Black Glinda?

I don't see any reason why not. If they can put a blonde with on a white woman with red hair, they can certainly put a blonde wig on a black woman. Skin color shouldn't matter - that's one of the themes of the show itself (however weakly executed) that I would love to see be embraced onstage.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#10re: Black Glinda?

i think that glinda could be portrayed by an african american woman, and that it really doesn't matter what ethnicity she is...

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

BSoBW2
#11re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:19pm

I get what you meant, BEKA....

I don't think it should be done....I mean it's the whole "Aida can be white" thing....

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Black Glinda?

Yes. A black woman can wear a blonde wig. But I really don't think it would look very natural.

Now, I know some sick freaks on here, would like to twist up my words and insinuate that was racist comment. For the record, it wasn't.

Derek
#13re: Black Glinda?

Yeah, I agree, a black women would probably be great. i think the majority of black women have better voices than white lol, and I'M white lol. However, Glinda has to be blonde or else all of the jokes are lost. And you don't see too many blak women with blonde hair, it just...isnt natural lol. It would be like casting a white woman as Aida. I'm sure there are many black women with the talent believe me, Im not at all racist against anyone. That's just my opinion.

Joshua488
#14re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:21pm

I think that unless something in the script specifically requires a character to be of a certain race or nationality (such as in HAIRSPRAY), then it is completely acceptable for a character to be played by someone that isn't white. Broadway is truly living up to its nickname of the Great White Way these days... the ratio of white people to non-white people is staggering! I haven't seen WICKED so I don't know if something happens that requires the character to be blonde, but if not, go ahead and cast a black woman as Glinda! As long as she's talented enough to pull it off, cast her.

And there are MANY ways to make a girl look and seem ditzy WITHOUT having to wear a blonde wig. It's called acting.

me101 Profile Photo
me101
#15re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:22pm

casting a black woman as Glinda is completely different than casting a white woman as Aida

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#16re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:23pm

See my post in the off-topic about the vh1 black in the 80's special.

Joshua488
#17re: Black Glinda?

Amen to THAT, me101.

munkustrap178
#18re: Black Glinda?

BSO: You are wrong. Aida is a gender specific role that requires the actress to be African-American. She's a nubian slave. There wouldn't have been a white nubian slave, so she has to be black. The same way that a white woman couldn't have played Caroline in CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - the show is about race. WICKED is not about race, and Glinda is not specifically white or black or chinese, or anything. They are two TOTALLY different circumstances.

ljay: Don't worry, I didn't think you were racist. I've been rudely attacked many times on this board for being racist, when in fact I am not. I said I didn't think Jamie Foxx deserved to win an oscar, and I was assused of hating black people. Then when I said Tamyra Gray doesn't really work well in BOMBAY, I was also called racist. Sometimes you just can't win, but I totally knwo where you're coming from - no worries.

Derek
#19re: Black Glinda?

but how? I'm not trying to be mean, im just wondering

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#20re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:24pm

casting a black woman as glinda is MUCH different than casting a white aida...aida is a nubian princess, so right there it gives direction for ethnicity & color...

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

focusingonmoviesmatt Profile Photo
focusingonmoviesmatt
#21re: Black Glinda?

IF A PERSON IS A GREAT PERFORMER WHY DOES IT WHAT COLOR THERE SKIN IS .

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#22re: Black Glinda?

I guess it would work, but I mean, it'd be kinda odd to slap a blond wig on a black actress. I'm so happy they're doing this for Elphie though! I guess it could work though, you know, Keala Settle looks more black than white. She tried out for a dynamite in Hairspray, and ended up getting Tracy understudy!

mikeonbroadway
#23re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:25pm

Well, if you've at least heard the cast album they do say the word blonde.

I agree -- while I sometimes like the look of black women with blonde hair, the jokes would be completely lost as blonde jokes don't apply to unnaturally blonde people (and yes jlt wears a wig, but it can appear that she is naturally blonde...very very very few black women are naturally blonde.)

It isn't a racist thing to say, just some standards in casting...and I agree with the whole "White Aida" statement. It is funny how (I would assume) if someone who is white was cast in a traditionally black role in which race is not an issue (say...Benny or Collins in Rent), people would be up in arms...but if the reverse were to happen and people spoke out they would be called racist.

Derek
#24re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:25pm

o ok i see. im just concerned children would see it and be confused, but then again, it can teach them early about racism and how it really doesnt matter. I guess you guys are right, like i said i am not at all racist :) I cant really see it, but im for it

Videos