pixeltracker

The Show was good... then came the ending...

The Show was good... then came the ending...

TheaterGeek91
#0The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:32pm

Ever seen a show where you went into intermission feeling like, "Wow, this is a great show. I think I just might like this one," but then you walk out of the theatre feeling totally unsatisfied? For me, Once on this Island comes to mind. Others?

ElphieInMyHeart Profile Photo
ElphieInMyHeart
#1re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:32pm

NOT WICKED!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:39pm

I feel this way more about movies than I do for actual shows. And at the present time I can't remember which ones.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#3re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:40pm

Rent.

Mythus
#4re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:41pm

Well, hmm. I went into RENT not really expecting it to be good (all my friends were like, "OMGIT'SBOHEMIAN!"), and by intermission, I was eating my words. Then came the ending. Of course Mimi lives. That disappointed me. I would've liked it if she died. I wasn't totally unsatisfied...just a little bit.

ETA: Creepy coincidence, ShbrtAlley44. Updated On: 10/18/04 at 06:41 PM

timote316
#5re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:42pm

Mythus, I was going to say the exact same thing. Itd be so much more powerful if she died. Oh well.

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
#6re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:43pm

The Fantasticks the first time I saw it.

Mythus
#7re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:44pm

Exactly, timote! When she jerked back to life, I wanted to scream, "No, go back to dead so Roger can mourn and be depressed! It proves that there's no fairytale ending!"

ShbrtAlley44
#8re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:44pm

OK, so I accidentally turned on the "send responses to my email" option. How do I turn it off? Updated On: 10/18/04 at 06:44 PM

timote316
#9re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:51pm

What that ending telling the kids? Take drugs, but as long as you have a boyfriend who can write a song (a good one at that), you're all set? lol. The one flaw in Rent, IMO

Mythus
#10re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:53pm

You can take drugs, have AIDS, and live on the street! It doesn't matter, because when you die, you'll have a leap of - mooooooo! And everything will be fine.

ShbrtAlley44
ShbrtAlley44
#12re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:54pm

Oops Updated On: 10/18/04 at 06:54 PM

Mythus
#13re: The Show was good... then came the ending...

Uh, try going to Your Settings and then clicking on the "Edit My Settings" button or something. I don't know.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#14re: The Show was good... then came the ending...

Once on this Island?!?! NOOOOOOO! I adore that show. And how can you be thinking it's good during intermission? There is no intermission. Unless they added one... illegal...

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

ponine24601
#15re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 6:58pm

Hmm..i thought the overall show was great, but i thought the ending was too happy go lucky:Thoroughly Modern Millie.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#16re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 7:18pm

Once on This Island's ending is similar to what happened in Wicked/RENT; the original source had the character die, the musical had the character live. However, OOTI handled it much better than the others.

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#17re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 7:20pm

love the show Fame...but the ending is still unclear to me...
Once on this Island's ending- PERFECT
TMM-Love it and the ending

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#18re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 7:20pm

RENT's ending...it didnt ruin the experience but it took a lot from the show

WICKED's ending was done a lot better...a simple idea but God does the audience roar when Elphie *SPOLER AHEAD* comes out from the stage!! I thought Wicked's ending was actually very unique

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#19re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 7:21pm

it seemed in the novel that elphie died... but didn't die... it kinda leaves it open...

::bust a move::

WiCkEDrOcKS
#20re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 7:23pm

Right...when the annoymous (sp) voices say:
"...and did she ever come out?"
"Not yet"

It was a better ending than the show but I thought the show handled it better for a more family oriented audience.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#21re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 7:23pm

agree re: The Show was good... then came the ending...

::bust a move::

WiCkEDrOcKS
#22re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 7:24pm

LOL...I agree too...um well of course I do, I said it...kind of a pointless post but whatever LOL :)

mikeonbroadway
#23re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 8:09pm

About Rent:

I like the show, I'm a RENTHead, but I'm not going to pretend like it is the show to end all shows sent from the musical theatre gods. But the ending, while it is tacky is A)Not THAT predictable (at least back in '96 when it was still new) because in La Boheme, Mimi dies so the logical conclusion would be she would in Rent also. B)I'm probably not going to explain it correctly, but the point of the show isn't to be a downer, the whole No-Day-But-Today philosophy, and to have people walking out of the show and being depressed, the positive message it is TRYING to convey will get lost...especially with the teen fanbase that it attracts now; the ones who don't look for the deeper meaning and just omg__insert cast member here__ is so hot. In the times I've seen it, I never once thought that it was saying/implying that you can do drugs and have aids be all peachy. But wouldn't it be a downer to go, yeah she has Aids and all Aids victims will DIE DIE DIE?

Look at Angels in America, Prior lives and no one (at least I've found) has complained that that has a sappy ending/it says you'll have Aids and be fine...

My two-cents, and if you understand and can explain it better please do.

-Mike

(And a show I thought the ending was tacky on: Brooklyn. I saw it again this weekend, I liked it the first time I saw it, but this time around I found myself rolling my eyes every three seconds and only staying for the music.)

NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#24re: The Show was good... then came the ending...
Posted: 10/18/04 at 8:36pm

Mike- You basically just took the words right out of my mouth re: The Show was good... then came the ending...