News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for WiCkEd BaCcHaE

WiCkEd BaCcHaE Profile Photo
Member Name: WiCkEd BaCcHaE
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Plays Every College Student Should Know
 Feb 25 2010, 08:23:15 PM
I would substitute GEM OF THE OCEAN instead of FENCES for an Augest Wilson play. It's a less linear play and it's the play representing the earliest decade in the Century Cycle, making it vital to have an understanding of if you wish to read the rest of the cycle.

I would use VENUS for the Suzan-Lori Parks example since it carries a linear plot while utilizing less realistic elements, such as a chorus.

Gender Bias in Theatre
 Jun 24 2009, 11:17:08 AM
Here's the link to the NY Times article: http://tinyurl.com/kojqv

Any thoughts? How should this problem be amended?

re: Chess From Royal Albert Hall - Review
 Jun 17 2009, 10:01:01 PM
I have no problem with any of the leads. Groban never claimed to be an actor so I don't mind his flaws. The music suits him. Adam is fantastic. As for the complaints between Idina and Kerry, I think Idina is concentrating for the audience and Kerry is taking it down for the camera. Both sounds great though.

However, the direction for the show is unimaginative and obvious. Dancing chess pieces? Really?

The costume budget must have been tiny. The Bankok dancers look like they ar

re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
 May 5 2009, 04:35:43 PM
Sorry I should have been more specific... it's an embarressment the show is ineligible for awards b/c of the theatre location. The awards need to be opened up to off-Broadway. Clearly.
re: Bitch about the 2009 Tony nominations here !
 May 5 2009, 04:22:09 PM
The biggest snub was for RUINED.

How do you win the Pulitzer and are not given even a NOMINATION???

Completely absurd- but then, why should we expect suburban American to care about anything related to the Congo? Let's just sit around and talk about our messed up relationships instead...

re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
 Apr 16 2009, 12:18:10 PM
Congrats to the cast and crew for a great show. I wish I could see it!
re: [title of show] as 'self-congratulating artistic masturbation'
 Apr 16 2009, 12:07:37 PM
I think harper4 has it right. How are any other pieces of art any different? When is expression NOT masturbation?
 Apr 15 2009, 11:48:12 AM
Ok I like the music and will probably end up loving it the more I listen to it. Is there a good synopsis besides what is up on wikipedia? I don't mind spoilers since I probably won't get to see the show, living in FL.
 Apr 14 2009, 04:53:50 PM
So I just bought the recording off of iTunes without knowing much about it, other than it has been getting lots of buzz. I looked up the wikipedia synopsis so I have a vague idea of what will happen...

Here's hoping I like it!! If I do, I'm sure you'll see me on this thread a lot =)

re: I'm ready for a revival of THE SECRET GARDEN
 Apr 9 2009, 11:32:16 AM
I completely agree that we need a revival. The show is so intensely beautiful.
re: Musical theatre and Religous musicals.
 Mar 26 2009, 12:34:13 PM
FAUST- musical of Doctor Faustus, only Faust is a rock star. Randy Newman is the devil, James Taylor is God. Enough said.
re: How old were you when you discovered Sondheim?
 Jan 13 2009, 01:32:14 PM
I grew up with West Side Story and Gypsy but I would say I finally discovered Company @ 17. Within a few months I discovered Into The Woods and Sweeney. Then I was hooked.

And I have 'Sondheim' listed as my religious views on Facebook too =)

re: Broadway Tattoos
 Nov 8 2008, 04:46:17 PM
Yero- is that a blue rose for Glass Menagerie?

I only have one for now and its theatre related. Its a clock inside of a star with the letters CXVI on the clock which are the roman numerals of my favorite Shakespeare sonnet (116). The sonnet talks about how love defys time and it like a star, which explains the design. I love it.

I also wanna get the artwork from Angels (just M. Approaches), and perhaps part of the sheet music for Move On from Sunday in the Park.

My f

[TOS} to close October 12
 Sep 19 2008, 10:40:52 PM
Noooooooooooooooo!!! I wanted to see it for my birthday in December!!

Why, God?!

re: Frost/Nixon Trailer
 Aug 26 2008, 10:02:42 PM
Wow, it looks great! I'm so excited for this and Doubt to come out, since I got to see both in NY (And for a Floridian, that's pretty cool).

Langella and Sheen were amazing! I'm sure they will be every bit as great as they were in the play.

re: Help a newbie with some Broadway tunes....
 Jul 11 2008, 11:48:05 PM
I must insist on Into The Woods since it will get you started on Sondheim and it's, arguably, his most accessible. His stuff is the real 'meat and potatos' of musical theatre.

Since you need to become familiar with the classics, I must also insist on:

West Side Story
Gypsy
My Fair Lady
Cabaret
South Pacific

... as a good foundation to start with. You can probably find these in any library. Good Luck!

re: PASSING STRANGE To Close July 20 (Spike Lee Will Film It)
 Jul 10 2008, 03:42:34 PM
There's one every year... what a heartbreaker! Can't wait for the dvd!!
re: What is the musical that just makes you cry?
 Jul 3 2008, 09:06:53 PM
Ditto on Sunday in the Park with George.

I'm also a huge baby for Secret Garden and the musical (and play) of Cyrano (with Christopher Plummer). Each song of Secret Garden is the definition of beauty to me and Cyrano makes me bawl like a baby.

re: Why the Hype for In The Heights?
 Jul 2 2008, 09:36:18 PM
Elaborating on what others have said, I agree that much of the 'hype' has a lot to do with the use of contemporary music styles in a musical. Somewhere around the sixties and seventies, musicals stopped keeping up with the latest trends in pop music and decided to do its own thing (Example: Sondheim. And thank God for him).

While we have many fantastic shows as a result, ppl seem to get excited when a musical comes around that incorporates contemporary music with the musical theatre tr

re: Your Favorite Musical
 Jul 1 2008, 04:00:33 PM
While I always have current favorites like In The Heights and Passing Strange, if I was forced to pick one musical that is my favorite, I would have to pick:

Sweeney Todd

Dangerously close to taking this title include:

Hair
Sunday In The Park With George
Caroline, Or Change
[title of show]
Secret Garden
See What I Wanna See
On The Twentieth Century
March Of The Falsettos
The Wild Party (LaChiusa)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You