News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for DrMike

Member Name: DrMike
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??  Jan 13 2017, 07:33:09 PM

Why do I think there are only a few hardcore folks out there who kept that picture of them shaking hands with Nixon.  If selfies had been around, I bet a lot of folks would have erased those selfies they took with Hitler.  

I do not question the right of a person (even a performer) to associate themselves with a political candidate, but by doing so in such a public way history will remember what side they stood on.  It will not be as easy to hide that photo or erase that

HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Viewing Thread  Dec 7 2016, 11:25:20 PM

Sound was not the only technical problem.  Lighting plagued the entire night, with the scenes in Motormouth Mabel's shop way too dark.  The only time the lighting completely lit the scene was in the final TV broadcast and then the lights were not period-appropriate.  Clay Paky Sharpys were not around in the 60s.

How A Real Vietnam Helicopter Lands Nightly At This Outdoor Miss Saigon  Jul 27 2016, 03:12:08 PM

Upon re-reading this, I think that I focused a bit too much on criticism.  I did not want to come off as a PR person from the show.  With that said, (and as a non-PR person from the show) this is one amazing production and if your travel plans will allow it, you will not regret the trip!

How A Real Vietnam Helicopter Lands Nightly At This Outdoor Miss Saigon  Jul 27 2016, 12:20:30 PM

Eymard Cabling almost steals the show as the Engineer.   He persuasive enough to be your friend at one moment and slimy enough to be your nemesis in the next.  He pulls focus and captures attention whenever he is present; as he should.  Kim, played beautifully by Niki Badua is just the right amount sweet and innocent, yet completely believable in the depth of her love for both Chris and her son.

Chase Peacock is just as successful as Chris, the GI caught betwe

How A Real Vietnam Helicopter Lands Nightly At This Outdoor Miss Saigon  Jul 27 2016, 10:08:25 AM

Saw the production last Thursday.  Epic is the only word that can accurately describe the experience.  Even without the helicopter, the playing area is huge.  The production includes a military jeep and a car as well.  Small, intimate scenes are beautifully framed against the shallow reflecting pool.  The photographer has captured some beautiful images, but even those do not completely do justice to the scope of the production.

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY  Jul 11 2016, 03:08:04 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "In other news, Liza is joining Cirque du Soleil!

I think this deserves its own thread!  The possibility is endless

"

Revisiting The Who's Tommy  Jun 27 2016, 02:32:33 PM

Has there been any rumbling about a new tour?  I am a subscriber to the Broadway in Atlanta series and ever year the powers that be send out a subscriber survey.  It asks that you rate interest in a list of shows.  Most of the shows listed are current Broadway productions, but there are also several other shows that sound to be "in the works."  This past survey included Tommy.  I would love to see a new production, considering how much the technical too

Must read books for musical theater freaks  Jun 27 2016, 02:26:25 PM

I will second Riedel's Razzle Dazzle. Some show analysis, but mostly the history of Broadway and the characters that made it what it has become today.

Audra officially only doing 6 shows a week.  Jun 19 2016, 10:09:22 PM

Saw the afternoon matinee 6/19/16.  Audra was in; Billy was out, and Audra was resplendant.

Broadway for Orlando  Jun 16 2016, 01:44:35 PM

Now THAT would make a great show: Seth Rudetsky's IPhone

Broadway for Orlando  Jun 15 2016, 03:30:19 PM

http://www.playbill.com/article/carole-king-lin-manuel-miranda-audra-mcdonald-idina-menzel-and-60-more-record-single-to-benefit-broadway-for-orlando

once again, the broadway family shows they are a class act.  Bravo!

BCEFA's Broadway Bares  Jun 11 2016, 10:23:19 PM

I know the big talk right now is the Tonys, but I was wondering if anyone around here had the scoop about Broadway Bares next Sunday?  This will be my 5th year in attendance and the show is always spectacular.  Any word on guest stars or the content of any of the numbers?

re: Trap Doors  Mar 18 2016, 09:05:23 PM

What about the stunning way that Pride Rock enters in Lion King?  I am not sure if it is still done that way with the move from the New Amsterdam, but when I saw it years ago it was breathtaking.

Dirty Dancing Musical Tour  Feb 27 2016, 10:33:23 AM

I did not find the show to be horrible, but the complete reliance on projections for scenic elements made everything a bit one-dimensional (as if the plot did not do that already.) I do give the designers credit for using the projections in a creative way to simulate the lift in the lake scene.  

The Grand Paradise  Feb 21 2016, 11:01:53 PM

ARTc, I missed you by 24 hours.  I went on Saturday evening and I did wear a Hawaiian shirt.  It was fun feeling as if I were part of the atmosphere.  Several cast members mentioned it to me and later in the evening, one audience member with whom I was in a small group shared that she wished she had done it, too.  So to anyone thinking of going, I give the Hawaiian shirt a thumbs up.  

I completely agree with what ARTc had to say about the whole experience: it w

The Grand Paradise  Feb 10 2016, 10:40:57 PM

Immersive theatrical experiences are cropping up as alternatives to a night of theatre where one is only an observer.  I had noticed the positive review for this production and purchased tickets for next weekend.  Has anyone seen/experienced it yet?  With it being a 70's themed evening, is dressing the period appropriate as an audience member?  

Seth Rudetsky as an actor  Jan 22 2016, 09:57:57 PM

Considering what all Seth has done for the visibility of the Broadway community, I can cut him some slack on a "vanity project."  I have my ticket to see Disaster in February and will be happy to chime in on his acting abilities afterwards.

Spiderman Tour  Jan 22 2016, 09:54:54 PM

As an interesting side note, the book  "Song of Spider-Man: the Inside Story of the Most Controversial Musical in Broadway History" by Glen Berger is a fascinating look into the process of creating the production.  After reading the book, it is easy to see how a tour would be unlikely.  There are a lot of big egos who could not stand to be in the same room with each other.

If You Won the Powerball and Could Mount a Production on Broadway...  Jan 10 2016, 02:04:13 PM

Since Dramamama beat me to the rights for The Princess Bride (the musical), I think I would work on mounting Drop Dead Gorgeous: the musical.

Broadway Show Christmas Ornaments  Dec 27 2015, 12:51:32 AM

Thanks for the info!  I was able to pick up a Something Rotten and a Kinky Boots (or boot as the case may be) this afternoon.  I'll try to get more tomorrow.  I appreciate the leads.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You