News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for rawrali

Member Name: rawrali
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout  Jun 23 2022, 06:16:04 PM

Mark_E said: "Anyone know of any rush/lotto policies for this in Boston? I have a very last minute trip this Saturday (flight attendant off standby) and potentially the opportunity to catch this."

I could only find $25 student and veteran rush, but no general rush. Lucky Seat has a $39 lottery but it looks like the next available lottery to enter is for Monday's show.

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE: Boston tryout  Jun 23 2022, 01:04:27 PM

quizking101 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "SouthernCakes said: "Doesn’t seem like much buzz but it has a stacked team."

Well it's had one performance so give it a little time I don't know that the Neil Diamond audience + Broadway audience is an ideal overlap, but the team gives me hope that this could be artful in the way that MJ is artful (tho imho MJ is a far superior songbook). And it appears Diamond will be game to promote the show.
"

I think the Neil Diamond/Broadway crossover audience is likely rather…aged. And if this is dropping in the late fall, it may be a hard sell to that crowd if COVID cases decide to go back up.

I can’t imagine many people under the age of 40 who would be clamoring to a Neil Diamond musical - especially since most of us only know Sweet Caroline and maybe a few others.
"

I am but one person, but I am 36 and grew up listening to Neil Diamond thanks to my mom. Including his Christmas albums, which always amused me, but hey, they made him money (to pay off that pricy divorce??). I still love his music. The song list looks great - if I can check this out I definitely will. More for the music than the actual story, I'm sure.

The Karate Kid - PreBroadway in St. Louis Reactions  Jun 23 2022, 12:49:27 PM

I saw yesterday's matinee performance. I agree with pretty much everyone else. I'm going to be super picky in this post but really, I walked away having enjoyed my time. I've certainly seen worse shows. The problem is that none of the songs were particularly memorable. Ali's song has stuck in my head a bit but not the others. I almost think Daniel needs another song? Perhaps at the beginning - something that's not about Ali or karate but about him. 

Kate Baldwi

OFFICIAL: INTO THE WOODS Broadway Revival to Open at the St. James Theatre, Performances Begin June 28, 2022  Jun 11 2022, 02:53:35 PM

Bryce 2 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "tyleramullen said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Sorry to see Shereen Pimentel not continuing with the production as Rapunzel. Hopefully she has another good gig lined up! (Something in Camelot perhaps?)"

CAMELOT at the Muny?
"

Ta'nika Gibson was already announced forGuenevere, unless that has changed. If Shereen had the option to do an incredibly high-profile run o

The Karate Kid - PreBroadway in St. Louis Reactions  Jun 9 2022, 10:47:31 AM

Here is a review from a StL theatre goer whose reviews I always enjoy reading. I think she posts here sometimes?

https://snoopstheatrethoughts.com/2022/06/03/stages-looks-to-the-future-and-the-past-with-promising-crowd-pleasing-karate-kid/

Rob McClure to Join LITTLE SHOP as Seymour on July 12th  Jun 9 2022, 10:40:05 AM

joshdog2014 said: "Super happy for him, this is really exciting! Hopefully someone is preparing a leading role for him in a show that can be a big success on Broadway, he really deserves it, but this is great to see him onstage again so soon. It’s cool that he and Christian Borle will be back on stage together! (They had a few months of overlap in Something Rotten)"

Yes! I fell in love with Rob's acting at the Muny over a number of seasons and varied roles

Sara Bareilles, Christian Borle, Ashley Park, and Heather Headley to Lead Encores Into The Woods  May 5 2022, 09:06:50 AM

jlindsey865 said: "Pardon my naivety, but are these Encores! productions meant to be “concert versions” of shows? Or is having the cast hold scripts and/or scores disguised as storybooks a creative choice?

Either way, can’t wait to see this tomorrow evening!
"

I saw the Encores! production of 1776 back in 2016 and a few scattered cast members used scripts/scores, not all the way throughout but as occasional aids. I remember that Alexander

Sara Bareilles, Christian Borle, Ashley Park, and Heather Headley to Lead Encores Into The Woods  Apr 30 2022, 12:29:23 PM

Jonathan Cohen said: "Judging by the rehearsal photos of Sara Bareilles looking visibly pregnant, she's so over qualified to play the Baker's Wife that she'll have that cursed reversed by the opening number."

I may have missed some photos but if you’re talking about her in the polka dot top, I’m pretty sure that’s a fake belly for Act II.

Carmen Cuasck in Sweeney at The MUNY  Apr 21 2022, 02:43:14 PM

As someone currently living in StL, I'm excited. I feel like thus far The Muny has stepped up their casting this year. Still a few casts to be announced. I hope they can keep it up.

Cameron Mackintosh transphobic comments  Aug 28 2021, 02:42:40 PM

J Harrison Ghee (he/they according to Instagram) is about to play Velma Kelly in Chicago at the Muny this week. I’m personally looking forward to it, but I’ll be curious to see how the StL audiences respond.

Songs That Sound An Awful Lot Like Other Songs  Mar 25 2019, 12:09:26 PM

You Walk With Me - The Full Monty

Answer Me - The Band's Visit

Non-Popular Female Villain Audition Songs?  Apr 10 2018, 06:10:41 PM

What about All Falls Down from Chaplin? I like it as a villain song.

Hamilton Chicago cancellation line summer 2017  Aug 20 2017, 08:13:38 PM

Personal experience for anyone in the future looking for Hamilton Chicago tix - we were walking by the theatre at about 12:15 Saturday and stopped inside to see if they had any cancelation tickets for the matinee. No line and we picked up two tickets in row F, 103 and 104. Great seats. The man at the box office said that they had just released the tickets a couple minutes prior.

Why are all these kids around?  Jul 31 2017, 05:32:46 PM

starcatchers said: "I've never seen the show done WITH an intermission. That seems weird. "

Apparently some productions put an intermission in, most likely to bolster concession sales. With the Muny being an outdoor theatre, they do A LOT of concession sales so I was nervous before the show that they might try to squeeze an intermission in. Thankfully they did not.

Why are all these kids around?  Jul 31 2017, 04:44:48 PM

There were no homemade costumes and no screaming kids. There have certainly been shows where I rolled my eyes at all of the children that the Muny stuffed onto the stage but this wasn't one of them.

I thought the concept was overall handled well. The dancers are telling stories of their childhood, the visual representation of the story paired well and was used sparingly. I will certainly admit that I have not seen another production of A Chorus Line to compare this to, but I e

Why are all these kids around?  Jul 31 2017, 11:42:01 AM

After seeing A Chorus Line at the Muny Saturday, I figured I would answer this long-buried question.

They do use kids as kind of flashback/ghost characters in a few songs - namely I Can Do That and At the Ballet. I thought this was handled very well.

They also have a small group of teens for acting class scenes in Nothing with Diana.

All of the dancers have a "ghost child" version of themselves standing behind them briefly during What I Did For Love. This i

Unsinkable Molly Brown with Beth Malone  Jul 24 2017, 02:15:08 PM

Auggie27 said: "The designs were ghastly (the bar scene looks like it's out of "Hunchback..." "

The bar scene shown in the clip is supposed to take place at an "ice palace" that the owner of the mining company builds to throw a party for his workers due to a profitable year. Based on a quick google search, this appears to be based on a real ice palace built in Leadville in the late 1800s.

Edit: I just listened to the original Broadway cast recording of "Are You Sure?" and I really think they made significant changes to this song for this production but maybe I'm crazy. I do not remember the original lyrics at all from the other night.

Unsinkable Molly Brown with Beth Malone  Jul 23 2017, 05:29:37 PM

Auggie27 said: "Very interesting. They opened with the lifeboat scene in Denver.  I'm assuming this is (still) the Dick Scanlon book? 

Did they keep "Are You Sure?"  Usually near the end of the first act (it fits nowhere else). My favorite number, but one quick to be tossed. 
"

Yes, still the Scanlan book. Are You Sure? was near the end of Act 1.

Unsinkable Molly Brown with Beth Malone  Jul 23 2017, 05:00:06 PM

I saw the show last night (with a very long rain delay at intermission) and the musical did not open with the lifeboat scene. Lifeboat scene was the 2nd to last scene. It opened with the miners in Leadville and then Molly arriving in Leadville.

It was a very light crowd, even before the rain. I think partially due to the immense heat and partly because of public unfamiliarity with the show. The show overall exceeded my expectations but I thought it still needed some editing, maybe 2-3

Hamilton Box Seats  Feb 9 2016, 06:28:28 PM

Sorry for reviving somewhat of a dead thread, but I was just wondering if anyone else has tried to get box seats recently? I was supposed to fly into NY yesterday and I was going to stop by the box office to see if they have any single box seats available for any performances the week I will next be in town, but my flight was canceled and we ended up canceling the trip altogether, so that ruined my plans. I suspect my only chance will be the lottery at this point (or resale, but most res

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You