News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Balthazar Chasen

Member Name: Balthazar Chasen
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2022 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album
 Nov 15 2022, 08:33:05 PM

MJ has a good chance.  Funny thing: I was at the dentist today and the new hygienist mentioned Into the Woods.  And my town-ish city is waaaay off the radar. 

Missing nominations are Flying Over Sunset, Mrs. Doubtfire, and The Music Man.

Someone took and leaked nude photos at Take Me Out
 May 12 2022, 10:58:46 PM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Balthazar Chasen said: "I recently saw explicit shower photos from the 2002 version of Take Me Out. I didn't even know about the current staging. I can't help but wonder how the 2002 photos were procured."

There’s an excellent quality full show bootleg of the original 2002 Broadway production. Shot digitally not on video so screen grabs will be of great quality. The world was quite different back then pre-social media.<

Someone took and leaked nude photos at Take Me Out
 May 12 2022, 06:06:45 PM

I recently saw explicit shower photos from the 2002 version of Take Me Out.  I didn't even know about the current staging.  I can't help but wonder how the 2002 photos were procured. 

Meet Me in St. Louis Broadway (1989)
 Feb 25 2022, 06:24:05 AM

As I was walking down the beach with Jason Workman and another friend in 1984, girls were shouting to him, "You are gorgeous! You are gorgeous!!"  No surprise he winds up on Broadway in this production a few years later.  And Donna Kane has a marvelous set of pipes -- love her!

It was a treat to see "The Trolley Song" on YouTube just a year or so ago. 

(My own tenuous connection to this show I thought I'd share.)

Judy Garland (aka Tracie Bennett) just played Rose.
 Feb 25 2022, 05:37:59 AM

Well, then, Kane channeled Garland's Esther Smith most convincingly. 

Judy Garland (aka Tracie Bennett) just played Rose.
 Feb 23 2022, 09:52:10 AM

BrodyFosse123 said: "Tracie Bennett captured zero of Garland in END OF THE RAINBOW. Zero. The only person ever to capture Garland exactly, both vocally and in her mannerisms, was Isabel Keating in THE BOY FROM OZ. Lots of footage on YouTube."

I'm thinking Donna Kane was a most acceptable Judy in 1989's Meet Me In St. Louis revival.  It's on YouTube also.

Company Previews Thread
 Dec 5 2021, 02:58:26 PM

Claybourne Elder impresses.  I've been following him on IG for months.

The Roundabout Theater Company did a limited tour of COMPANY in 1999. It was the first tour to use revisions from Company's mid-90s revival. Peter Reardon was in it. Does anyone know anything about this small tour?

Lortel Awards going gender-neutral
 Oct 28 2021, 02:22:08 PM

Not to namedrop, yet I've a friend who won one of these around 30 years ago.  The last I heard, a mutual acquaintance said his career hasn't gone as he had hoped.

Judy Kuhn
 Oct 22 2021, 06:06:43 PM

Her CD "Just In Time" is a must-have.

Peter Scolari Passes Away at 66
 Oct 22 2021, 05:59:15 PM

RIP.

He was hilarious on Newhart as Michael Harris.  As well as during his Bosom Buddies early days. 

Cut Songs from Tony Winning/Tony Nominated Productions
 Feb 23 2018, 09:49:53 AM

"Who Could Be Blue?" cut from Follies.

JERSEY BOYS Will Return to NY for Off-Bway Run
 Feb 19 2018, 03:41:17 PM
JERSEY BOYS is finally coming to my town where I'm seeing it March 4th @ 6:30 pm. I include the time because JERSEY BOYS is going to conflict with the Oscars telecast. Although it has taken a dozen years since this musical debuted on Broadway (on my birthday, no less) I've seen THE MIDTOWN MEN with Christian Hoff, Michael Longoria, Daniel Reichard, & J. Robert Spencer TWICE already. (And I've played JERSEY BOYS's DVD over & over....)
Any info on Terri Klausner, the original Evita alternate?
 Feb 5 2018, 02:42:50 PM
The day I registered for my freshman colleges classes I flew to NYC & saw Gregory Hines in Sophisticated Ladies. It was life changing.. Terri simply blew me away. I bought the album & played it over & over. Eventually, a friend did Bed & Sofa with her. I've played YouTube clips of Terri in Sophisticated Ladies (most especially Hit Me With a Hot Note & her Mood Indigo/I've Got It Bad duet with the late, great Phyllis Hyman). Glad to see this message board topic today.
Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
 Jan 26 2018, 10:27:42 AM
This is going to sound out-of-nowhere random yet I'll be looking to who is cast as the soap ingénue Geena Davis portrayed in the film. Geena went from that role to winning an Oscar seven years later. That's quite impressive.

Favorite Finales?
 Jan 25 2018, 12:46:08 PM
Don't know if it's necessarily my favorite yet....

PIPPIN's revised finale really suits the show from a show business/entertainment standpoint.

The original's seemed modern in the 70s but the revival's seems traditionally Broadway.

Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
 Nov 3 2017, 02:23:50 PM

Here's a direct quotation regarding "Louis Says" & why it was cut:  "First reason was that by cutting it, Julie's vocal demands were diminished significantly. Second reason was that the cleaning/maintenance cost for that numbers costumes and wigs was insane, so they also saved a lot of money on weekly production costs." ""

Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
 Nov 2 2017, 08:13:02 PM

I'm glad to hear favorable comments about Louis Says.  I've heard from a reputable source that the song was cut, in part, because of the high cost of maintaining & cleaning all the wigs that were used in the number.  It seems the production costs skyrocketed because of this song.  Just FYI. 

So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
 Dec 11 2015, 03:33:51 PM

Thanks for these responses!

I especially find illuminating Ulla's line from The Producers. 

Also, the interpretation that the winner was referring to the many audience members in Radio City Music Hall seems plausible. 

Still I think Light saw Huffman's 2001 acceptance speech & deliberately planned beforehand to begin her 2013 speech the exact same way...a conscious imitation of Huffman. 

So random it's scary!!! Cady Huffman & Judith Light Tony Speeches. Cheers & Happy Holidays!!!!
 Dec 10 2015, 04:42:36 PM

It's so random it's scary, yet it's a bit of a peeve.  When Cady Huffman won her Tony for The Producers, she began her acceptance speech by adlibbing, "There are so many of you...."  (Presumably, to thank for getting her to this point in her career.) 

A dozen years later Judith Light wins a 2nd-year-in-a-row Tony (for The Assembled Parties) & begins her acceptance speech with the EXACT SAME PHRASE:  "There are so many of you....&qu

What are your FAVORITE lesser known Cole Porter songs?
 Dec 3 2015, 01:58:35 PM

Night & Day (although I don't know if it qualifies as "lesser known)

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You