pixeltracker

Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical

Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical

Morales2 Profile Photo
Morales2
#1Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 4:43pm

Tootsie is one of my favorite movies.  I'm very excited about this becoming a musical.   I think Santino is perfect casting for Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels.  

Thoughts?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 4:46pm

The movie is a perfect comedy.

And the Tony Award for most costume changes goes to...

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#3Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 4:47pm

Edit - hadn't seen the article before (in my defense, OP didn't link it out)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 1/24/18 at 04:47 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 4:48pm

Valentina3 said: "Please retitle this thread so it's not so misleading.

And there was a topic a few weeks ago discussing this same thing. Some people agreed with you, several others would prefer other performers.
"

How is it misleading? He is doing it https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Broadway-Bound-TOOTSIE-Starring-Santino-Fontana-Will-Play-Pre-Run-in-Chicago-20180124

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 5:03pm

This musical is REALLY good. I saw a reading of it with Fontana, Stephanie J Block, Marc Kudisch and others last year and was so impressed, since I wasn’t sold in an updated version of the story. But man, I loved it.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#6Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 5:05pm

Jordan Catalano said: "This musical is REALLY good. I saw a reading of it with Fontana, Stephanie J Block, Marc Kudisch and others last year and was so impressed, since I wasn’t sold in an updated version of the story. But man, I loved it. "

Good to hear.  That's quite a cast too and I'm happy that Yazbeck is doing the score.

BeingAlive 2
#7Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 5:05pm

That’s so exciting Jordan!! Was Stephanie in the Terri Garr role?

Jordan Catalano
#8Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 5:06pm

I told my friend that if Block stays with the show, there’s no way she doesn’t get a Tony. She was so hilarious and her songs showcased everything that’s wonderful about her.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#9Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical

If SJB isn’t tied up with Cher I hope she’s doing this!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jordan Catalano
#10Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical

Beingalive2 - Yep.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#11Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 5:09pm

Santino is PERFECT casting. And this is one of a tiny handful of movies I've been dying for a musical adaptation for years. Can't wait!

rattleNwoolypenguin
#12Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 5:18pm

But it's already just such a perfect movie as is...

I guess I will never understand the thought behind taking an already great classic quotable film and musicalizing it. The best musical adaptations of films have been from movies where the score was the missing element the movie needed to heighten it to another place. Tootsie is already perfect. It just doesn't strike me as a story that sings or needs to sing. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 6:32pm

You had me at Yazback. And he’s back in the Musical comedy world. It’s gonna be awesome!

AllThatJazz2
#14Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 6:35pm

Awesome. Definitely going to need to catch this!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#15Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 6:55pm

Was thinking about Fontana today. What exciting news! 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#16Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 7:25pm

Isn't this the story of a white MAN who needs to dress up as a WOMAN to get a job?

How sensitive and contemporary!  Makes perfect sense to stage it right now as a musical, not offensive at all.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#17Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/24/18 at 7:38pm

blaxx said: "Isn't this the story of a white MAN who needs to dress up as a WOMAN to get a job?

How sensitive and contemporary! Makes perfect sense to stage it right now as a musical, not offensive at all.
"

Try not to be too insufferable, darling.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#18Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/25/18 at 2:16am

For me, the uniqueness about Dorothy Michaels was her VOICE, that accent. As JC has heard a reading, I wonder if Mr Fontana tries to copy or create his own accent.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#19Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/25/18 at 8:55am

blaxx said: "Isn't this the story of a white MAN who needs to dress up as a WOMAN to get a job?

How sensitive and contemporary! Makes perfect sense to stage it right now as a musical, not offensive at all.
"

Sounds like YOU need to go watch the movie again... 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#20Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/25/18 at 9:19am

I would prefer a Shaiman/Wittman score, or perhaps Frankel/Korie. I fear Yazbek's songs will meander, both musically and lyrically, and be little more than mildly amusing when they should be very funny, or maudlin when they should be moving (as I generally find his work).

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#21Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/25/18 at 10:23pm

How old is Mr. Fontana?

What ignites the action in the
film is the fact that Dustin
Hoffman plays a failed actor
who is at an age where he
needs to succeed or quit
the business.

BTW, I share blaxx's feeling
that the idea that an actor
needs to pretend to be
female because--What?--
there aren't enough roles
for white men is absurd,
if not offensive.

But the musical could borrow
from M. Butterfly the idea 
that men are better equipped
to play women because
"femininity" is a male
construct. That might be
interesting, especially in
the soap opera world.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#22Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/25/18 at 11:02pm

LYLS3637 said: "blaxx said: "Isn't this the story of a white MAN who needs to dress up as a WOMAN to get a job?

"

"

It burns that I'm right?

Straight white male must pass as a woman to make it in the industry, sounds lovely. They should also musicalize Richard Pryor's The Toy while they're at it. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

MtTemple4 Profile Photo
MtTemple4
#23Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/25/18 at 11:17pm

I’ve seen Tootsie countless times. The reason Michael Dorsey becomes Dorothy Michaels and auditions for the soap (ahem, daytime drama—I owe the producer a quarter) is because he is difficult to work with. He argues with directors, walks off the stage, quits a commercial playing a beefsteak tomato, and Sydney Pollack as his agent exclaims “No one will hire you!”  Having previously accompanied Sandy (Teri Garr) to the soap audition, he is prompted to audition as Dorothy, who has no such difficult reputation . . . yet. 

Updated On: 1/25/18 at 11:17 PM

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#24Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/26/18 at 9:37am

blaxx said: "LYLS3637 said: "blaxx said: "Isn't this the story of a white MAN who needs to dress up as a WOMAN to get a job?

"

"

It burns that I'm right?

Straight white male must pass as a woman to make it in the industry, sounds lovely. They should also musicalize Richard Pryor's The Toy while they're at it.
"

As usual, you miss the point entirely. That's not what the movie is about, but gotta give you credit for trying to force an agenda onto the film that it does not have.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Updated On: 1/26/18 at 09:37 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#25Santino Fontana will play the lead in Tootsie the Musical
Posted: 1/26/18 at 9:44am

I'm dubious about this project's book writer, who was responsible for the unbearably tortuous 13, a few gags for one Dame Edna show, and the scripts for a handful of lower-tier sitcoms. Perhaps he possesses unexplored depths of talent, but ...

Videos