pixeltracker

Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel

Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#1Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/29/17 at 8:11pm

I never saw 'Victor / Victoria' on B'way, as I was more interested in other musicals at the time. So I'm curious as to what others here think about it, and the drama it went through.

What I do recall is Liza took over for Andrews half way through the run, and costar Tony Roberts did a 'sick out' until Andrews came back (or something like that). ALLEGEDLY, he didn't like working with Minnelli - I believe she was not prepared for the role? 

I also remember that when Andrews left for good a few months later, they chose Raquel Welch (what were they thinking???) to play the lead. The musical closed shortly after. 

Does anyone know why they chose Minnelli for her vacation replacement, and Welch as the permanent replacement a few months later? Was Blake Edwards interested in anyone else?

Did anyone here see all three leads? What did you think? 

Does anyone think this could be revived or is this musical not worthy of a revival? I could see Queen Latifah in the role, or even Reba McIntyre. 

After Eight
#2Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/29/17 at 8:44pm

David 10086 wrote: "Did anyone here see all three leads? What did you think? "

Julie Andrews was very good, particularly in light of the mediocrity of the material. Liza Minnelli struck me as tentative. Raquel Welch was good.

It just wasn't a very good show, and some of the lyrics were cringeworthy. I don't see it as a candidate for revival.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#3Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 7:29am

Did you forget that Toni Tennille did the tour?

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#4Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 9:42am

Toni Tennille did the tour, yes; but for just how long?
It was scheduled to play the Chicago Theatre in Chicago, but got cancelled.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#5Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 9:55am

According to IBDB, the tour ran from September 3, 1998, to June 27, 1999, and Tennille was with the production for the entire run.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#6Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 10:09am

I saw Julie pre-B'way in Minneapolis, which was dreadful. They had a whole slew of songs that were eventually cut before B'way that were absolutely horrendous and ground the show to a halt. And Julie's voice just wasn't what it used to be by that point anyway. It was pretty sad to see her struggling to play a role she already played PERFECTLY on screen. It really would've been better for her & Blake to have done something entirely different. The only highlight, as many have said, was Rachel York (even if she was just recreating Lesley Ann Warren's film performance). Her delivery of "Paris Makes Me Horny" was truly the best moment of the show.

Liza was delightfully and completely miscast. But it was one of the highlights of my theatregoing experiences to say "I was there"... She was messing up lines frequently (sometimes deliberately, like "I'm a second rate hooker" instead of "I'm a second rate hoofer;" then completely botching others). I saw it the week before Tony Roberts staged his sick out and the stories came flooding out. It was obvious that there was some real tension between those two and "You and Me" was just downright uncomfortable. But, she was astounding when onstage alone and belting "Living In The Shadows" (or was it another Wildhorn song by then - I honestly can't remember). I missed "Louis Says," as Liza would've nailed that. It was nice to see someone else tackle the role, especially someone completely different (Liza's Victoria was from Saskatchewan). It didn't work, which really pointed out the flaws in the material itself. But it was a noble effort. And Liza was really there just to get butts in seats and do a favor for an old friend. I'm not sure there are many other actresses who could step into a show for only a few weeks (she wasn't even in the Playbill - she was always on a slip stuffed within) in the dead of winter and make it into a huge sellout event that people still talk about to this day. I still remember the announcement before the show when Liza was announced. People cheered for a very long time. I imagine it was similar to when she took over briefly for Gwen in the original Chicago.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#7Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 10:21am

Julie herself was said to have had mixed emotions on doing this show, but forged ahead because she didn't want to disappoint her husband.
It's too bad she didn't instead insist on retuning to Broadway in a first-class revival of King & I or some such.

thommg Profile Photo
thommg
#8Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 10:51am

I saw Liza Minnelli the evening performance after Tony Roberts "got sick". I believe Ken Land replaced him that night, and for the rest of Minnelli's run. He seemed happy to play opposite Minnelli and they seemed to enjoy each other. Now, I am a huge Liza fan, but she was horrible. She didn't know her lines, she didn't know her blocking, and she couldn't keep a hat on her head to save her life. My friend and I still laugh at her chasing her hat across the stage. At intermission, my friend turned to me and said, "I just want to hear one good note!" Luckily, she gave us one - in Hiding In The Shadows. This was a night to remember, for all the wrong reasons. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 11:25am

For your viewing pleasure here are: 

Press Reel of Liza Minnelli in the show: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwJM5NgEjt4

Liza's complete "Le Jazz Hot" number: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYCa81WZCU0

A portion of Raquel Welch's "Le Jazz Hot": 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ0ktZqFfsc

Promo material of Toni Tennille in/for the 1st US National Tour: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w55ALgTPi8

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#10Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 1:23pm

What do you mean by the 1st national tour?
Were there any others?

BrodyFosse123
#11Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 1:31pm

What do you mean by the 1st national tour? 
Were there any others?

It basically means its the first tour to go out completely affiliated with the original Broadway production.  As its the first tour, its the one to see on the road as it will be the one that resembles the original Broadway production the closest.  That's why many actors proudly use this credit extensively if they were part of a 1st National Tour of a Broadway production.  

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#12Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 1:39pm

Has the show received any major productions anywhere since the aforementioned 1st national tour?

BrodyFosse123
#13Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 1:51pm

There was only one tour for the original Broadway production of VICTOR/VICTORIA.  It did have numerous international productions with popular actresses/personalities from Daniela Romo in Mexico, Valeria Lynch in Argentina to Paloma San Basilio in Spain.  

gallerygirl Profile Photo
gallerygirl
#14Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:05pm

Ria Jones starred in a London fringe production. Paper Mill produced it with Judy McLane, Lee Roy Reams and Bob Cuccioli. North Shore Musicals staged it with Donna English, TUTS in Houston did a production a couple of years ago (with the Broadway set and costumes) starring Anastasia Barzee and Tony Sheldon.

I remember Anthony Newley was announced to play Toddy for the 1st National tour but he became ill and dropped out.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#15Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:15pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "For your viewing pleasure here are:

Press Reel of Liza Minnelli in the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwJM5NgEjt4

Liza's complete "Le Jazz Hot" number:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYCa81WZCU0

A portion of Raquel Welch's "Le Jazz Hot":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ0ktZqFfsc

Promo material of Toni Tennille in/for the 1st US National Tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w55ALgTPi8
"

Thanks!  Those were a treat.  Liza may not have been great but she was sure fun to watch but so much personality to enjoy (more than Raquel had in Le Jazz Hot)

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#16Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 2:58pm

It was a awful show.  Julie was fine.  Liza as bad as she was in it; was actually fun to watch.  She was messing up but having a good time and her audience was loving it.  It was that kind of evening.  I had a friend in the show and from what I remember Tony Roberts didn't create a welcoming atmosphere for her from the very start.  Raquel was boring and flat.  There was zero presence to her performance.  Toni was ok.. but the tour was pedestrian and by the numbers.  Just a bad show all around.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 10/30/17 at 02:58 PM

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#17Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 4:48pm

In addition to Anthony Newley, Twiggy was also mentioned for the national tour.

broadwayboy223
#18Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 4:57pm

I heard Julie's understudy Anne Runolfson was very good

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#19Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 10:55pm

Thank You all for your responses. I have the OBC on CD, and rarely - if ever - listen to it. Total disappointment, so I wondered if the show was any better - and with whom?

I do recall when Toni Tennille was in the tour - it toured through my city, and ot rave reviews. Though I did not see it, I had a number of friends who did (subscribers for the season) and they enjoyed it - and her. I also remember she wrote about this in her memoir last year - IIRC, they did consider her to take Andrews' place on B'way, but then they decided she would be a better star 'on the road'...and she reluctantly said yes. (She loved the show but not the touring).

I also recall hearing that it was originally slated to debut on Broadway for the 1994-95 season, but Edwards didn't want to compete with ALW and "Sunset Blvd" at the Tonys (yes, he figured BOTH shows would be up for Best Musical, Best Actress, etc.) - so he decided to wait till the following season. Don't know if it's true - but that was the rumor back then.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#20Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 11:03pm

Can someone please explain to me the Tony Roberts sick out situation? Did he just call in every night of Liza’s run because he didn’t like working with her?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#21Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/30/17 at 11:25pm

adamgreer said: "Can someone please explain to me the Tony Roberts sick out situation? Did he just call in every night of Liza’s run because he didn’t like working with her?"

Maybe some insight here?

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/sick-liza-missing-victor-victoria-article-1.758967

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#22Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/31/17 at 5:32pm

I saw the pre-Broadway run in Chicago and was deeply disappointed.  I was so excited to see Julie Andrews live on stage for the first time.  I didn't realize how much they had to slow down the tempo of the songs until they got to "Le Jazz Hot", they didn't really do that great of a job of recreating the choreography.  Rachel York was hysterical though in her recreation of Lesley Ann Warren's part...

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#23Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/31/17 at 6:03pm

quizking101 said: "adamgreer said: "Can someone please explain to me the Tony Roberts sick out situation? Did he just call in every night of Liza’s run because he didn’t like working with her?"

Maybe some insight here?

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/sick-liza-missing-victor-victoria-article-1.758967
"

Liza had vocal chord surgery after her run in V/V. So, while perhaps it makes sense for it to have been a stunt, having chord trouble (infection or otherwise) makes sense.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#24Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/31/17 at 10:02pm

Julie was quite dull and bland (as was the show), but luckily, we had Tony Roberts and the real star of the show at the time, Rachel York.  I went back just to see Liza and she was a HOOT.  Finally, there was some life and energy in the role.  I didn't even notice if she was screwing up because suddenly, the character was fun to watch.  It was just a shame they cut the best number, Louis Says.  Gorgeous set and costumes, but the show was deadly dull.  The fact that Julie received the only nomination was pretty ironic considering the set, costumes, Rachel York and Tony Roberts were all more deserving.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#25Victor / Victoria; Julie, Liza and Raquel
Posted: 10/31/17 at 11:04pm

There is a video of Minnelli doing Le Jazz Hot on YouTube and it's pretty painful. She was singing the rhythm of the melody, but not even attempting to do it on pitch. Just an observation from seeing that video which might have just been a bad night.

Latest Posts