News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ChiTheaterFan

Member Name: ChiTheaterFan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

April Shows with 76 year old mom and 13 year old son  Mar 12 2019, 12:50:29 PM
My 70 year old parents just saw The Prom while I was at Harry Potter and they LOVED it! Definitely a big splashy fun musical. I am hoping it hangs on long enough for me to come back and see it myself in May.
Times Square TKTS questions  Mar 10 2019, 07:25:54 PM
For what it's worth when I used to have an office in new York I'd roll up to the tkts window at 6:50 for a 7 pm show or 7:50 for an 8 pm show. Got some amazing seats that way that weren't released until just before the show. (riskier for shows that are selling well, of course, but if a show consistently has empty seats and is on the board until showtime there's really no reason to get there super early.)
Must-sees (TKTS) right now  Mar 9 2019, 11:37:58 PM
Another update: my parents LOVED The Prom. So thanks all! Hope I can see it at some point!
Harry Potter doors  Mar 9 2019, 12:21:28 PM
Thanks haterobics! That's very helpful. I am a harry Potter fan so definitely will get there early then. :)
Harry Potter doors  Mar 9 2019, 12:03:14 PM
I am finally seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child today! Do the doors open at the usual 30 minutes before? My email says to get there an hour in advance which seems excessive anyway, but my friends to me there's lots of cool stuff in the lobby and I should get there in time to look around. But do the doors actually open more than 30 minutes before? Ordinarily I wouldn't expect them to except that they said to get there an hour early... I've looked at the website and can't seem to find an
Must-sees (TKTS) right now  Mar 9 2019, 11:15:39 AM
After lots of reading up on things yesterday, we decided to see Choir Boy last night since it's closing tomorrow and seemed right up our alley. We all thought it was brilliant. It warmed my heart and made me devastated at the same time. Very glad to have seen it.

My parents are seeing The Prom today. I have a little bit of FOMO since it sounds so fun but not really because I'm seeing Harry Potter today and am really glad I went with Choir Boy yesterday. If they like it hopefully I can

Must-sees (TKTS) right now  Mar 8 2019, 08:47:57 AM
Thanks all! Still absolutely no idea what I'm going to do. Need to research these options today!
Must-sees (TKTS) right now  Mar 4 2019, 07:33:51 PM

Thanks all!  I was just listening to the Come From Away cast recording again and I can't believe I forgot that one of the reasons I was planning on seeing it again was to see it with my mom.  She was a United flight attendant, so I think I will see it again just to see it with her because it will be meaningful.  But that still leaves one space, and I will definitely check out the rest of these!   Any more thoughts would be welcome as well, of course!  Still g

Must-sees (TKTS) right now  Mar 4 2019, 06:27:05 PM

Hi, all.

Sorry to put up one of these generic posts, but I've been very away from the theater scene lately and have no idea what's going on.  (Such a difference from a few years back when I was coming to NY all the time and saw nearly every show!  Sigh.  that's what a career change will do.)  I'm coming to New York this weekend and have been trying my best to sort through all the threads, but I'm having trouble distill

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!  Dec 11 2017, 06:40:18 PM
For me it was mostly Mama Will Provide. I thought he was stellar. Not only was his singing great but I thought the theatricality fit the role as well. I also was sitting near where he was singing much of the show and I think that may have influenced me because I felt like I noticed a lot of nuances in his performance from being so close.

Bear in mind I did not see Lea Salonga as she was out.

Out of the Loop - Advice Needed  Dec 11 2017, 12:46:06 AM

Well, I leave in the morning and am very happy with my decisions!  Not a bad one in the bunch.

Thursday night:  The Band's Visit.  I told my friends that although it's a word I never use, my best description for the score is "enchanting."  What a lovely musical.  I am so happy I got the chance to see it.

Friday night:  The Show that Goes Wrong.  So hilarious!  I laughed so hard my stomach hurt the whole time. 

People Leaving at Intermission  Dec 11 2017, 12:37:49 AM

I just have to share my Escape to Margaritaville story.  It includes an end of Act I spoiler, so I'll use the toggle.  Only click for "spoilers" if you've seen it or don't want to know the end of act I "cliffhanger."  (It's not exactly a plot driven show, but you've been warned.)

I sat next to an EXTREMELY annoying couple who sang along the whole time, even at very inappropriate moments.  (They weren't on their own in

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!  Dec 11 2017, 12:14:42 AM

JudyDenmark said: "I would be genuinely thrilledwith any of the supporting castfrom Once On This Island getting nominated,but my standouts wereMerle Dandridge, Phillip Boykin, andKenita R. Miller. I also thought Isaac Powell was particularly greatin the often overlooked role of Daniel."

I just saw this tonight and I agree I'd be thrilled if any of them were nominated. For me the standout was Alex Newell. He blew me away and it surprised me. He and Hailey were the

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!  Dec 8 2017, 03:59:26 PM

Clyde15 said: "I assume Frozens score will be eligible, a ton of new material is in place in the show, plus they don’t use all of the music from the movie. I believe 7 out of the 20ish songs in the musical are also in the movie. "

Thank  you!  I did not know that. 

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!  Dec 8 2017, 02:44:28 AM

When she sang “Omar Sharif” my heart melted into a puddle. I don’t think it reformed until I had to get up and walk out of the theater. That was the moment the show went from good to great for me. 

Way to early 2018 Tony Awards predictions!  Dec 8 2017, 02:21:00 AM

After seeing The Band’s Visit tonight, I have to think it will win score. (I would hope best musical as well, but I know Frozen will be a commercial powerhouse...) 

But it got me thinking,,, how many shows will really be up for score, as it stands now? I assume Frozen is the songs from the movie, so it wouldn’t be eligible would it?  And I’ve seen people mention Escape to Margaritaville, but weren’t most of those songs preexisitng as well? I k

Out of the Loop - Advice Needed  Dec 8 2017, 02:08:19 AM

A big thanks for the recommendation for The Band’s Visit. I saw it tonight and it was simply beautiful. With everything going on in the world, it was so nice to see a warm tale of people with different backgrounds coming together. And that score was unbelievably gorgeous,combined with exquisite performances. I am very glad I didn’t miss this one!  I think it will stick with me for awhile. 

I loved really watching the band in particular during their solos. So

Oriental Theatre Chicago  Dec 7 2017, 12:01:05 PM
You know what? I was thinking of the Cadillac palace. My bad. I've only sat in the orchestra of the Oriental.
Oriental Theatre Chicago  Dec 7 2017, 11:52:42 AM
If you're in row A I would say dress circle. Its lower and therefore slightly closer When get farther back less so because I prefer not to have the overhang in my vision. But that shouldn't be an issue in A.
Gender and Roles  Dec 7 2017, 12:00:24 AM
I think there's a difference between casting someone who identifies as a woman in a female role and rewriting the role (and potentially dialogue) as a man. The original question was about the latter, which changes the work in a way the former (in my view) does not. You can't legally make artistic changes to a work without permission, which isn't to say that such permission would never be granted. (And some licenses may not even place restrictions on gender of some roles to begin with--although
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You