News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for dramaguru

Member Name: dramaguru
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: First show you saw alone..
 Jun 13 2008, 12:13:36 AM
Okayfine, what were you paid to do at A Christmas Carol?

(God - I loved that. Went to see it two years in a row.)

rehearsals begin in July
 Jun 13 2008, 12:08:37 AM
I just saw the show for the first time a couple of weeks ago also. My guy and I were both so overwhelmed, I bought the CD the moment I got back. The cast was superb, and I was especially amazed by the little girl playing Wendla, who I think both looked and sounded closer to the role than the original did. Just my opinion.

Jun 12 2008, 11:35:40 PM
Spamalot was packed when I saw it two weeks ago (Clay was no longer in it - but looks like he did indeed make a difference.)

Taylor did not sing off-key on that video - he had a few pitch issues in a couple of places. Learn the difference. So do an awful lot of wonderful singers when they do a show 8 times a week.

re: Spring Awakening Movie?
 Jun 12 2008, 01:04:40 PM
This wad of trash show doesn't come within MILES of being anything close to something similar to Brechtian theatre.

What are you talking about - the microphones alone are Brechtian. The mechanisms of theatre completely laid bare, cast members singing from the "audience," the band sitting onstage, the upstage walls visible, no spectacle to speak of, lots of clear commentary on the ills of society...should I continue?

Well my reason for hoping it doesn't go to film so soon

re: First show you saw alone..
 Jun 12 2008, 12:42:37 PM
A Chorus Line, 1982. Tenth row center. I couldn't speak or breathe afterwards.
re: Jen Paz & Eric Kunze reprise roles in Miss Saigon
 Jun 12 2008, 12:38:28 PM
Wait, what was egregious about what Jen did? She FORMALLY LEFT THE UNION. Wanna know what's egregious? Before I got into the union, I worked with union actors who DIDN'T leave the union, but took roles in non-union shows anyway. THAT'S egregious.

Jen was likely one of the many Asian actors who was tapped for Miss Saigon, then ignored by the rest of the theatre world as inappropriate for other roles solely because of her race, and is reduced to accepting every Kim job offered her just to

Jun 12 2008, 12:22:38 PM
"If that has been the tempo since the beginning of the run, then you can't really blame the tempo can you? They shouldn't slow it down for him just so he can "milk it"."

He wasn't in it at the beginning of the run, and may know the song better at its CORRECT or optimal tempo. Again, it's a crooner. It doesn't make a difference to me what the conductor chose at the beginning of the run - it's still faster than a lot of people, like Taylor probably, think it's normally sung at. I'm sure,

Jun 10 2008, 12:30:29 AM
And? Way too fast. It's supposed to be a crooner, a la Frankie Avalon.
 Jun 10 2008, 12:27:52 AM
Oops - I meant the other pasta lover.

Jun 10 2008, 12:24:26 AM
It wasn't perfect all the way through, but it wasn't off-key. It also wasn't very 50's in flavor. And the orchestra was playing it very fast, which could account for his sounding like he couldn't get enough breath to get every note pitch-perfect, like he probably could have. I wonder why the conductor chose to do that. If anything you'd think they'd want to give him as much time as possible to milk the crowd. Also, as the run goes on and he gets comfortable, his performance will just improve. Go
 Jun 10 2008, 12:09:50 AM
Wow. I can't believe that after all this time, the show still has something of a cult following.

Well, here are my two cents, and yes, I'm a pro who knows the show inside out.

I agree with just about everything eastoflasagna said.

My main issue with some of the recent incarnations of the show, however, is the direction. For one thing, turning what should have been an innocent Kim into a geisha girl (seductively brushing her hair on the stair after having done the deed

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You