First show you saw alone..

Chuck012
#1First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 2:29pm

The original production of The Pajama Game in June 1954. The night I saw it Shirley Maclaine was an understudy and she went on for the injured Carole Haney. John Raitt, Eddie Foy, Jr., Janis Page and Shirley were all sensational. Peter Gennero and Buzz Miller were the partners of Shirley in the sizzling Steam Heat choreographed by Bob Fosse.

Updated On: 6/13/08 at 02:29 PM

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#2re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 2:51pm

I've only gone alone a few times (not out of disdain for it, I just have very theatrically active friends), but I believe the first time was seeing Grey Gardens last summer. Definitely a good choice, though, in that case.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 3:32pm

A Chorus Line. Will likely see the final performance alone, too.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

KrissySim
#3re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 3:40pm

I don't think I've ever seen a show alone. There was always someone else in the theatre. Once at the cinema there were about 4 others in the theatre on a matinee screening. I have gone to the theatre by myself, but I was never alone in the theatre.

burnsy Profile Photo
burnsy
#4re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 4:03pm

I might be going to ACL final performance alone too.

misschung
#5re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 4:04pm

Company, ironically.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
Updated On: 6/11/08 at 04:04 PM

LadyRosecoe
#6re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 5:01pm

The Producers was my first to see alone.

DefyGravity777
#7re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 5:01pm

I saw Wicked by myself on Jan 5,2008. It was the second show I ever attended. I always see shows by myself anyway. It's easier to get a ticket for one person and my friends hate theatre...LOL.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

george95
#8re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 5:04pm

The Phantom of the Opera.....saw it each time I came out here for my grad school interviews and campus tours.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#9re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 5:27pm

Tour: Hairspray
Broadway: Spamalot, I think

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#10re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 5:29pm

The Color Purple.... but the lady i was sitting next to made me feel like i was he grandson...ADORABLE.

turquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
#11re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 5:32pm

I really can't remember the first show I have gone to on my own. I go alone often when the chance comes up and nobody else wants to go (or has money)

I have been truly alone at the cinema - I was the only person in a showing of Miss Congeniality

#12re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 5:35pm

Love Valor Compassion....I think

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#13re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 5:41pm

LuPone in Evita. I really had to think to remember.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#14re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 7:02pm

Any reason why you started a second thread with the same title on the same day???

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#15re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 7:09pm

MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#16re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 7:28pm

Mame -- the week it opened -- or maybe still in previews. I remember my seat was $12.

And that same night I saw Hello, Dolly (with Ginger Rogers).

There ought to be a law against seeing two Jerry Herman musicals in one day. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for three days!

BruceWayne5148
#17re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/11/08 at 7:30pm

Spring Awakening... I want to go with my mom, so I had to talk her into letting me go by myself.

kylestefanie Profile Photo
kylestefanie
#18re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 11:40am

Most of my friends are very active in theatre so I havn't gone to many shows alone, other then when I'm in New York and some of my friends aren't with me.

My first show alone was RENT or Wicked.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#19re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 11:42am

The original cast of "Dreamgirls".

Jennifer Holliday was out. Sheila Ellis played Effie.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#20re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 11:49am

Mamma Mia

#21re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:10pm

The revival of La Cage-I think it was the day before it opened...which wasn't long before it closed.

dramaguru
#22re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:42pm

A Chorus Line, 1982. Tenth row center. I couldn't speak or breathe afterwards.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#23re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:45pm

"Dracula" starring Frank Langella at, the then, Martin Beck. I had seen it with a friend and went back by myself. The first show I saw alone for the 1st time was "Sweeney Todd", the original Broadway production at, the then, Uris Theater.

Just give the world Love.

philcrosby
#24re: First show you saw alone..
Posted: 6/12/08 at 12:50pm

The original "La Cage" followed the next night by the original "Sunday in the Park with George."