News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for umbawumba

Member Name: umbawumba
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Shrek- 11/11/08 Review
 Nov 15 2008, 08:43:06 PM
I saw the show in Seattle and I'm disappointed to read that some of the same flaws are still there in the show. The Donkey Pot Pie song is and always has been stupid. I love this last post's suggestion about using this song instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFscAV6X-OM.

This song is perfect for Donkey to sing to the Dragon.
They really need to fix it and I think they're afraid to. Maybe the dragon never speaks or sings and is simply just a giant puppet without any human scales. They should really consider that. Anyone know of an email address to the creative team that you could email this suggestion to? They had such an email address set up during the run in Seattle. Is there such an email address during the previews in NY? Also, if anyone has any pics of the new donkey, I'd like to see if they changed his costume at all.

re: Official Shrek The Musical Thread
 Sep 11 2008, 05:54:55 PM
Fiona's change from the ogre to human on Morning 2 is pretty magical--unlike her transition from human to ogre during the wedding scene.

One minute you see her in the house in the woods as an ogre and in the next two seconds while the lights fade and come back to full light, she's human. I liked it and still wonder how they did it.

Sep 11 2008, 05:42:54 PM
Confirmed. Donkey's mop of an outfit has changed to a decent fursuit of some sorts, which looks a whole lot better on stage.

One now understands why the Shrek crew didn't allow the NY Times to photograph Donkey. They probably knew his costume would change.

re: Shrek Opening Night Review
 Sep 11 2008, 12:06:07 PM
First official review is out:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thearts/2008172859_zart11shrek.html?syndication=rss

Sep 11 2008, 12:02:08 PM
First official review is out:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thearts/2008172859_zart11shrek.html

Sep 11 2008, 02:47:42 AM
Opening night was flawless and had twice as much energy on stage as I've seen any other night! They've fixed so many of the issues discussed on this board. Donkey's costume has changed and no longer looks like a mop. Fiona's voice is captivating throughout the show, especially in what I believe is a now longer version of "More to the Story." Love it. She's amazing and this now lengthened number really shows her range. Chester and Shrek are now equally on par with making the audience laugh--but o
re: Rob Ashford Brought In As Show Doctor On SHREK
 Sep 6 2008, 11:47:08 PM

Not sure if it's Rob Ashford's work or not, but the creative team has really been doing wonders at editing this show during the preview run in Seattle. If you saw any preview performance at all, you really need to go back and see the show again as they've had many many changes--too many to list or even attempt to list (scene reordering, line ditching and rewriting, song additions, song deletions, new choreography, etc.)

Shrek is going to be huge on Broadway--even you Disney haters

Sep 6 2008, 11:40:46 PM
Shrek is going to be huge on Broadway--even you Disney haters will love it. :) I'm not a fan of the movie to musical genre we've got going on right now, but I'm a huge fan of Shrek (and Hairspray I might add!). The creative team has really been doing wonders at editing this show during the preview run in Seattle. If you saw any preview performance at all, you really need to go back and see the show again as they've had many many changes--too many to list or even attempt to list (scene reordering
Last Night
 Sep 6 2008, 11:37:56 PM
In direct response to this last person's post about the portrayal of Donkey, you'll need to go back and watch the show again as the Donkey character/lines/songs have really done a 180 in a new (and better) direction.

Shrek is going to be huge on Broadway--even you Disney haters will love it. :) I'm not a fan of the movie to musical genre we've got going on right now, but I'm a huge fan of Shrek (and Hairspray I might add!). The creative team has really been doing wonders at editing th

Last Night
 Sep 6 2008, 11:37:40 PM
In direct response to this last person's post about the portrayal of Donkey, you'll need to go back and watch the show again as the Donkey character/lines/songs have really done a 180 in a new (and better) direction.

Shrek is going to be huge on Broadway--even you Disney haters will love it. :) I'm not a fan of the movie to musical genre we've got going on right now, but I'm a huge fan of Shrek (and Hairspray I might add!). The creative team has really been doing wonders at editing th

re: Shrek production photos and new website
 Sep 6 2008, 11:33:02 PM
YES. Shrek is going to be huge on Broadway--even you Disney haters will love it. :) I'm not a fan of the movie to musical genre we've got going on right now, but I'm a huge fan of Shrek (and Hairspray I might add!). The creative team has really been doing wonders at editing this show during the preview run in Seattle. If you saw an early preview, you really need to go back and see the show again as they've had many many changes--too many to list or even attempt to list. The show is at a very so
re: Shrek production photos and new website
 Sep 6 2008, 11:32:49 PM
YES. Shrek is going to be huge on Broadway--even you Disney haters will love it. :) I'm not a fan of the movie to musical genre we've got going on right now, but I'm a huge fan of Shrek (and Hairspray I might add!). The creative team has really been doing wonders at editing this show during the preview run in Seattle. If you saw an early preview, you really need to go back and see the show again as they've had many many changes--too many to list or even attempt to list. The show is at a very so
 Sep 2 2008, 03:46:38 PM
Agreed. Donkey's character/costume is pretty weak compared to the other characters on stage, considering how big of a role he's got. Hopefully he can pull out something more in the next week while this show is in previews; otherwise, NY is going to be a bit disappointed with him.

Shrek
 Aug 22 2008, 04:19:44 PM
The "turntable stage" is actually a hydraulic circle--actually 3 circles. It's one of the most mesmerizing aspects of the show. It allows things to magically move down and upstage in a straight line, circle like a treadmill, and portions of the set to rise up from under the stage and spin. It's quite magical and I really don't understand it as you don't actually "see" the lines of the 3 separate circles. In the finale--shrek and fiona are upstage of all the other characters and then in the next
re: Please post Shrek reviews from Seattle here !!
 Aug 20 2008, 11:29:38 AM
True--let's just keep all our reviews in the main Shrek thread. Also, send comments directly to the producers at shrekfeedback AT 5thavenue DOT org

You'll notice that this email address is linked in the right column at http://www.5thavenue.org/.

Aug 20 2008, 11:27:17 AM
Just a reminder to send your reviews of the show directly to the producers at shrekfeedback AT 5thavenue DOT org. See the right column at http://www.5thavenue.org/ for a link to this email address as well.
re: 'Shrek' ad in NY Times
 Aug 20 2008, 02:05:22 AM
Theater people--it's on the official Shrek website at

Go there! The ad is downloadable as a desktop image

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You