Shrek Opening Night Review

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 11:03am

So, saw the official press opening last night (my published review should be up soon) and wanted to share a few thoughts.

First, all of the problems with the show are quite fixable. All of the huge obstacles inherent to a new musical have been overcome, so that's the good news. Tesori and Lindsay-Abaire's score is quite wonderful. Her music is riveting, soulful, with plenty of melodies that seem to reach out an hug you. The show sings at all the right points (with only a few numbers that need expansion/replacing) and Abaire's lyrics are hilarious.

The cast is solid. D'Arcy James gives a warm, capable leading performance and he is in great voice. Sutton Foster is hysterical and gets one of the shows best songs, the Act II opener "Morning Person". She and James also have superb chemistry. One number, sorry my playbill is not with me at the moment, has the duo having a farting and burping contest that is delightful. Christopher Sieber had the entire audience, including myself, in stitches top to bottom. He's got 2 great numbers, "Things are Looking Up in Duloc" and a big comic soliloquy for Act II (played in a bathtub). His costume is one of the funniest I've seen, and, I would be surprised if he walked away with the Tony come June. It's a big, fantastic performance and Tesori really shows off his voice. Kecia Lewis-Evans plays the Dragon like a soul-mama, which works like gangbusters, especially in her big number "Donkey Pot Pie" (with the female chorus members sort of acting as her tail). Here 2nd Act number is quite short and never takes off like you think it will. The entire ensemble is divine, including John Tartaglia as Pinnochio and The Magic Mirror. Though, he's forced to speak in a high pitched voice in the former, so his beautiful singing chops are never fully utilized. The fairy tale creatures are hysterical, Jen Cody was a standout as the elf, and they get the big 11'Oclock number "Freak Flag".

Now, the not so good.

Chestor Gregory does his best, he's a capable performer with a great vocal instrument. Tesori's written him some top notch stuff, though I miss "I Could Get Used to This" which is now replaced by a lesser, semi-forgettable number, his Act II showstopper is quite wonderful though, BUT he's essentially been directed to do an Eddie Murphy imitation. Many of his lines are lifted from the movie, another problem with the book that easily can be fixed but I doubt will be, and he's almost inflection for inflection channeling Murphy. WHen he sings, it's not a problem.

Now I know Rob Ashford was brought in, and from Joshua Prince's pedestrian choreography, I can see why. Tesori's music is bursting with opportunity to be innovative but Prince never siezes the many opportunities she gives him. His movements are very Musical Theatre Choreography 101, and stick out in an otherwise satisfying evening. I'm never one to wish someone out of work, but I'd say give Ashford billing and replace every Prince dance altogether. Foster has a fun tap number in "Morning Person" but her step are so basic and don't ever show off her more than capable dance ability.

And as I mentioned before, the lines from the movie stick out like a sore thumb. It kind of feels like Dreamworks kept pestering Abaire, who writes lyrics like he's been doing this his whole life, to inject more and more of the original screenplay. His lyrics are hilarious and I don't think there's need to inject the book scenes with so many of the movie one-liners. There is so much originality bursting from the score, which at this point is also a lock for a Tony nom, if not win, that there's no need for the movie bits. The "Ogres are like onions" bit didn't even go over well with the opening night crowd. Cut it all. Abaire's got plenty of great jokes of his own (including one about scientology and another, for Donkey, about Duloc looking like Stepford, both of which I don't recall from the film).

It almost feels like they're afraid to be completely original. They're about 75 percent onto their way from distancing themselves enough from the film. The costumes are beautiful, look like they cost a pretty penny, and are the one thing from the film that should be kept. Beyond that, they need to trust their audience more. There is a slight trepidation in Abaire's book at the moment that feels like several hands have been forcing his voice. And his writing style is so perfect for this material, again, the lyrics are superb, that Dreamworks needs to trust him to "do the right thing".

Also, though James is a winning Shrek, the Scottish accent, a creation of Mike Meyers, needs to go too. I don't think anyone would miss it.

And for those who are fearful that the show is just for the little ones, rest assured, it has a great bite and cynicism to it that will win you over. I'd say it's an 8 and up show. The real little ones it the audience were fussing and/or scared at some of the darker parts(mainly the Dragon's entrance and Fiona's Act II transformation). There's a lot of heart in this show. It's a spectacle, the sets are superb by the way, with plenty of substance. I think, a few changes pending, that they've got a critical and financial hit on their hands. They just need to push their voices more.

If anyone needs specifics, ask away!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 11:11am

Also worth mentioning. I guess I should write SPOILER before I get screamed at...

There are three big musical theatre jokes. 2 work, 1 doesn't.

1. When the fairy tale characters line up at the beginning, they have Sieber's Farquaad over the sound system, ala A Chorus Line asking them what's special about them. They even have an "I hope I Get It" style song and it is hysterical. I almost feel out of my chair in laughter.

2. There's a great Disney dig when Shrek and DOnkey are traveling. You see several cretures walking by behind a wall, and those wooden animals from Lion King pop up. Hilarious!

3. Sieber's "Things are Looking Up in Duloc" ends with "No one's gonna bring me down!" literally note for note from Wicked. It doesn't work, half of the audience didn't get it, and it's just not that funny. Cut it!

Wildcard
#2re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 11:59am

There is also the 42nd Street tap dancing in the second act.

I also thought the fairy tale characters in Freak Flag was reminiscent of Les Miserables although they did tone it down a bit from the earlier previews. It's been done before and done better in shows like Crazy For You.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 12:02pm

Oh how can I forget! Loved the 42nd Street rats!

umbawumba
BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 12:24pm

The Seattle Times critic is an idiot.

ChecksintheMayo
#6re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 12:35pm

a chorus of dancing goats

Seriously?

But she does make a couple of salient points - I do agree about the lack of suspense during the escape scene, and the awkwardness of the dragon puppet & human tail combination.

The tone of the review comes off like back-handed compliment, though.

think_of_me2007 Profile Photo
think_of_me2007
#7re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 12:53pm

"1. When the fairy tale characters line up at the beginning, they have Sieber's Farquaad over the sound system, ala A Chorus Line asking them what's special about them. They even have an "I hope I Get It" style song and it is hysterical. I almost feel out of my chair in laughter."

There was something in the third Shrek movie, I believe, that screamed A Chorus Line with the opening number melody.

commasplice
Klem
#9re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 1:52pm

I'm really not sure how the Seattle Times reviewer thought the tap dancing mice were goats...The song that's referred to involves the Pied Piper!

I saw the show again last night (after seeing the first preview last month) and I think it's become a much, much better show. When I first heard they were making a musical of "Shrek", I hated the idea, but I think this show has a lot of promise. I'm interested in reading more reviews, the press table last night had a ton of stuff on it, so I know there has to be at least a few dozen more coming our way soon.

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#10re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 2:04pm

i had a hard time finishing the review after this:

"One number, sorry my playbill is not with me at the moment, has the duo having a farting and burping contest that is delightful."

seriously?

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#11re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 2:46pm

My theory about Out-of-Town Reviews: Take whatever the reviews complain about, and multiply them by ten.

Last season, both CRY-BABY and A CATERED AFFAIR got pretty good reviews out-of-town, but not on Broadway - and the major problems for the New York critics tended to be relatively minor ones for the Out-of-Towners.

So judging from these two reviews, I would guess - and this is just a guess - that SHREK will get Mixed-to-Slightly-Positive reviews on Broadway, with complaints about the Broadway references, the eager-to-please quality, its visual faithfulness to the film, Shrek's reactionary quality, and PERHAPS Tesori's score (which may take a few listens to really get) - but concessions that the show is indeed better than most corporate musicals. Unless they make helpful changes to the show.

Of course, I could be wrong.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 9/11/08 at 02:46 PM

commasplice
broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#13re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 4:45pm

Thanks for sharing your review!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#14re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 4:52pm

Sieber's "Things are Looking Up in Duloc" ends with "No one's gonna bring me down!" literally note for note from Wicked. It doesn't work, half of the audience didn't get it, and it's just not that funny.

Bobby, how can you tell if an audience "doesn't get it" if the joke is not funny? Perhaps EVERYONE "got it", and since it is not funny, no one laughed. That doesn't mean they didn't "get it".

PEACE.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 6:52pm

Cubanpab: Nothing wrong with a little farting and burping humor if it is cleverly done, which this is. It's also a great moment for strengthening and shifting the Fiona/Shrek relationship as they discover they're not so different from each other.

Sueleen: You could be right, but I'm judging from my aisle that all looked at their companion (including my friend to me) like "why are the other people laughing?". Those who got it thought it was funny, I'm just saying it's a cheap joke without much style or cleverness.

bwayfan4ever2
#16re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:21pm

Seattle Post-Intelligencer review

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/theater/378789_shrek12q.html

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#17re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:26pm

I saw the night before opening night (Tuesday), and I also think that the "Wicked" reference was a little useless, but a lot of people around me got the joke (the green lighting helps), and it got a pretty good chuckle from the loge area I was in (P.S., I don't know why the 5th Ave keeps calling it a loge, since it is not seperate from the rest of the balcony like at the Paramount).

Did they cut the "Gypsy" reference from "Things Are Looking Up in Dulac"? There's a reference that I got, but no one else got.

I agree that the "Ogres are like onions" kinda came over like a lead balloon, and went on a little too long.

But other than that, it was really not my cup of tea (as I posted in the main Shrek thread), and it kinda felt obvuiosly geared to the Broadway tourist with families masses. I somehow think the critics in New York would not be as kind as the Seattle Times critic.

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

mt_si_dad
#18re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/11/08 at 9:23pm

Meh. The show is slow. The donkey is wasted (not high, just not used). Sutton Foster is a gorgeous singer and dancer - she's singing songs that don't do much to show off her talents.

A "B" show. Good, but not a showstopper.

ZiggyCringe
#19re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/12/08 at 12:30am

"I had a hard time finishing the review after this:

"One number, sorry my playbill is not with me at the moment, has the duo having a farting and burping contest that is delightful."

I agree. The entire review seemed uninformed. I'll make my own judgment about this one. It seems to me, if you are a real reviewer, you don't post opinions on websites before you actually write your review. Especially if you consider yourself a reviewer. I think that the peeps involved with "Shrek" deserve better than that.

Updated On: 9/12/08 at 12:30 AM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#20re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:17am

Would the Donkey be better if he was wasted?

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#21re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:26am

What happened to the "darker" more "adult oriented" stage musical that was promised when it was announced? All these reviews make it seem like an amusement park show, or it should be playing in an ice rink in Omaha with a click track for the voices and orchestra.
Trading the inside Hollywood jokes from the film to inside Broadway jokes for the stage don't make it more sophisticated, just more of the same old Drek.
The kiddies will eat it up, I am sure.

PEACE.

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#22re: Shrek Opening Night Review
Posted: 9/12/08 at 12:40pm

Chester Gregory as "Donkey" being wasted/not used makes no sense to me. A talent like that, in a role like that, and they minimize him? Their undermining their own show!

Videos