News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for AlgonquinProd2

AlgonquinProd2 Profile Photo
Member Name: AlgonquinProd2
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Interview with Daryl Roth
 Sep 15 2010, 03:31:07 PM
Heyya. A brief interview with Daryl Roth about her latest project, "Through The Night" as well as some stuff on her upcoming new show, "A Time To Kill".

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5791588/through_the_night.html?image=1285994&cat=49

Mr. & Mrs. Fitch reviews
 Feb 24 2010, 12:28:30 PM
Do you know who REALLY took offense at it? Not Brantley, not Simon, but none other than Cindy Adams.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/not_like_any_gossip_columnist_know_0PNU3mK1jf6a9Qey2g9uqJ

My favorite is referring to the art of gossip as a 'narrow art form'. I'd say it was downright skinny! :)

Todd Graff Set to Direct 'Damn Yankees' Film; Carrey & Gyllenhaal to Star
 Feb 6 2010, 10:33:25 PM
My vote is Amy Adams. She's gorgeous and has a terrific voice. As for the updating I second the person who suggested "Baltimore Orioles". As a lifelong Oriole fan, I can tell you these past ten years are certainly 'Washington Senators' worthy!

Russell Crowe & Beyonce Knowles to lead in A STAR IS BORN remake?
 Feb 6 2010, 10:28:01 PM
I think Crowe would be fun. He's a musician and an actor, a very strong actor (obviously) and so he can actually remake the role in any way he wants. In fact, there's very little point in doing it again if you don't bring something new to it. I think Beyonce is still an unknown quantity. She did very well in "Dreamgirls" and there's no reason to think she couldn't be a good actress in the right role. However, this is going to be held to an impossibly high standard and I doubt she can reach
Aerial Choreography -- how it's done!
 Feb 6 2010, 10:17:25 PM
This is terrific. Thank you!
Blood Brothers
 Feb 6 2010, 09:14:58 AM
I think I'm one of the very few who actually preferred it on Broadway to the West End. Loved the show here in New York, then went across the pond and got a ticket there. It might just have been that performance but the actors aeemed as if they were walking through it, no energy in the production at all. I was very disappointed since I expected it to blow the NY production away. At least on that day it didn't. But I am a big fan of the show.
re: 10 most important American plays?
 Dec 4 2009, 05:22:40 PM
If indeed the criteria is 'important' as opposed to 'well-crafted' or 'entertaining', I think some of my favorites would not be on it. "A Raisin in the Sun" is a more important play than "Fences" or "Doubt", I would say. I believe that for a play to be on the list of most important it should have in some way changed the way theater was viewed up to that point. That's a pretty tall order, but with that in mind, my list would be:

1) Our Town
2) The Iceman Cometh
3) Death of A Salesman
4) The Children's Hour
5) A Streetcar Named Desire
6) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
7) A Raisin in the Sun
The Glass Menagerie
9) Angels in America
10) Marat Sade

re: 1964 Tony awards
 Sep 11 2009, 02:30:10 PM
I'm sure you're right, although I've not been able to find that. In 'Mary Martin, Broadway Legend', by Ronald Davis, it talks of her being offered the lead in "Funny Girl" and turning it down, but only being offered the tour in "Hello, Dolly".
re: 1964 Tony awards
 Sep 11 2009, 01:21:17 PM
I don't think Martin was ever offered the original Broadway role; there is a story of how Gower Champion came to their farm and offered her the national touring role, however, which she accepted, and then of course opened it in London.
re: If you were a betting person - what are the odds of Spiderman opening?
 Sep 11 2009, 01:15:39 PM
If it were a single ticket I'd say go ahead and take the chance, but they've got a lot of work to do. I believe it will open, I just wouldn't bet on it being by March 18th. Unfortunately, no one is really able to give you an educated answer on this, it's all gut feelings. You have to go with your instincts. Good luck!
re: High Fidelity in Chicago (My Review)
 Aug 28 2009, 12:01:52 PM
Well, a couple of things here. I've never been to Chicago, but I have to say that they seem to be fanatical about their theater, most finding it superior to (or at least equal) to New York theater. The 'highly skeptical' phrase alone would probably be enough to send them through the roof. I'd be curious as to how they received your post on the Chicago Board.

That aside, I was one of the few who enjoyed "High Fidelity" here in the Big Apple. It wasn't great, but the score was catch

re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
 Aug 19 2009, 03:46:14 PM
I saw a production of My Fair Lady in L.A. which put me to sleep. Still, both are classics.
re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
 Aug 19 2009, 11:14:26 AM
I disagree. I think many audience members...whether they know who is who or not....feel cheated when they see so many people out of a performance. The obvious mindset is that if they were understudies, they weren't as strong as the principle cast, and so we're seeing an inferior show. It happens, and one or two understudies people can live with, especially in a large cast like WSS, but when it reaches double figures as it reportedly has done, it does get a bit dispiriting.

Michael Ri

re: Taylor Swift singing 'Tonight'...
 Aug 18 2009, 01:17:04 PM
I think it's terrific. I'm all for using show tunes anywhere, at any time. Might get some people who'd never heard the song to wonder where it came from. And as for Taylor, God knows I've heard it sung worse.
re: A Response To My Quote In The New York Times (regarding Eisenberg/Equity twittered casting session)
 Aug 14 2009, 09:49:11 PM
Well, with any luck, the subject will now die down after her official, if overdue apology. May Ms. Eisenberg's fifteen minutes of fame now be over, for the good of everyone.
re: Should I go see 'Parade'?
 Aug 14 2009, 09:45:38 PM
Since you already got your ticket, no need to add on anymore, but I do believe the score is beautiful and, even though the subject matter is dark, there are some wonderful comedic moments in it as well, if done right. You should be safe at the Mark Taper. Enjoy!
re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
 Aug 12 2009, 05:01:16 PM
The clips for "Thirty Minutes" look like it's a lot of fun.

I've got two friends (both very good actors) in "Stress Positions" happening at the Soho Playhouse so I'll be checking that out as well.

re: Songs That You Only Like Because of the Performer
 Aug 12 2009, 04:45:17 PM
"People" by Barbra on "Funny Girl". I personally dislike the song intensely but can listen to Babs sing it.
 Aug 12 2009, 11:01:26 AM
Thanks for the website and ESPECIALLY the invaluable information on the free beer!! See ya there!
 Aug 11 2009, 07:18:29 PM
Rachelle Rak (sitting on the bar to the left here) choreographed "Vote!" so that is a MUST SEE.

When does "Thirty Minutes or Less" run? Love to go see new Fringe stuff whenever possible.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You