pixeltracker

Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil

Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 6:22am

Fascinating article from Michael Riedel and the NY Post... from RC in Austin, Texas

IT'S a sweltering August night, but inside the Palace Theatre, just be fore the curtain goes up on the hit revival of "West Side Story," there's a blizzard.

A blizzard, that is, of cast-replacement inserts falling from the Playbills like confetti.

The $14 million production has been plagued by absenteeism: At some performances as many as five actors, including some of the leads, have been out.

This is a show in which every role seems to be played by Donna Murphy.

(One of the great leading ladies, Murphy became infamous for missing performances of "Wonderful Town" a few years ago.)

The worst offender is Karen Olivo, who won the Tony playing Anita. She was MIA for several days right after she claimed her award and has been in and out since.

Tony and Maria -- Matt Cavenaugh and Josefina Scaglione -- have also been no-shows. ("Tonight, tonight, we'll call in sick tonight!")

I've received e-mails from people at the theater who feel cheated.

"Two days after the Tonys, and three of the four leads are out of the show," one person wrote. "If my in-laws weren't in town from Mexico especially for this, I'd leave. Patrons around me are screaming!"

Of course the actors have excuses: injuries, illnesses, vocal troubles, blah, blah, blah.

But the situation is so acute that last week Arthur Laurents, who wrote the show and directed this revival, read his cast the riot act.

His tone, I'm told, was chilling. The 91-year-old told them that professionals don't miss performances, and that they'd better get their acts together or find another line of work.

The producers responded: "This has always been a challenging show for its performers through the years, and with that, though every precaution is taken, comes a higher occurrence of injury.

"Our company is among the most talented and best trained in the business, and we are proud of the production the audience sees every night."

Skipping performances was once unthinkable in the theater.

"Bloodied and bowed, you crawled on the stage," says Ronald S. Lee, who appeared in the original production of "West Side Story" and is an investor in the revival.

" 'The show must go on' was imprinted in your brain," Lee says. "It was part of the work ethic. Today, the work ethic seems to be, 'How many swings [substitute dancers] is the show employing, so how many shows can I miss this week?' "

Producers say actors today, especially kids in their 20s, think nothing of calling in sick.

While many performers suffer real injuries during some of the more grueling shows, producers say they suspect drinking, partying and general carousing are often the real culprits.

"Musicals employ a lot of kids," one producer says. "They're in New York, they're making money, they're having fun. You have to stay on top of them."

Another, speaking of buff chorus boys, says: "Some of them are more loyal to their gym than they are to their show."

The kids at "West Side Story" are now on notice from a legendary director who doesn't suffer fools.

I think the blizzard of cast inserts should start to clear.

But if it doesn't, the kids should remember their former colleague, Cody Green, who played Riff.

He missed a lot of shows due to injury. His understudy, John Arthur Greene, took over.

The producers thought the understudy was damn good.

And so now "the role usually played by Cody Green" is being played by John Arthur Greene -- permanently.

michael.riedel@nypost.com

WSS Subs

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#2re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 8:02am

Good.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 8:24am

This certainly makes sense and goes along with the national trend of workers in their 20s not being as committed or diligent in the workplace and having a high sense of entitlement. The attendance at WSS has been disgraceful, sick or not. To go to a show and not get one of the leads is really off. That happened to my friend twice.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#3re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 8:24am

"He has to have a Willain, so he can make the Willain the Wictim."

--Boris Aronson on Arthur Laurents

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 8:28am

This attitude isn't only among young ACTORS. It is among the young in all businessess. And it starts in school: Moms letting kids stay home, just because. Or for every sniff and sneeze. Or because they didn't quite finish their homework. Or because their boyfriend broke up with them. Because of "No Child Left Behind" most schools have specific numbers of days per term that a student "gets". If they exceed it, they lose credit for the term....regardless of their earned grade. MANY students figure out how many days LEFT they have without losing credit and don't show up the last few days of EACH term.

Additionally, my young teaching colleagues miss a tremendous amount of school. I have one young co-worker CHASTISE me because I didn't use my 3 personal days through the year. "But those don't accrue, you LOSE them if you don't use them." It is now PART of the job....taking days off.

Don't get me wrong...I take days off....sometimes just because I need a mental health day. But I average about 4-6 days a school year (I'm given 15/year plus 3 personal days).....and I'm the only adult that stays home with my sick kids. (It was worse when they were little)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 8:34am

Amen, Dramamama. I work at a college and ditto everything you said. It's a shame.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dramamama611
#6re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 8:39am

I even look at my "drama kids". Ten years ago, I never had kids miss rehearsal. Unless they were dying. Rehearsal is what MADE the kids go to school (if they aren't in school, they cannot BE at rehearsal). Then I could always rely on my leads, but not the "secondary" roles to always be there.

Now? Doesn't matter. I can never count on a full rehearsal. And they don't seem to get why it's so horrible and that they are actually letting the entire production down.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#7re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 8:47am

Patrons around me are screaming!"

Really? They were screaming? Most of the tourists attending WSS have no idea who Matt and Josephia are. Some may have heard of Cody because of that reality show and others may know of Karen because of her Tony win. There are no names in this show so I really doubt the patrons are "screaming". It's not like they're going to see "Liza at the Palace" and Liza is out.

My parents never let me stay home from school unless I was actually sick. I went through a little bit of phase when I got out of high school. Skipped some classes and such. But, I think that's something everybody does a little bit. And, when I started college my father was ill and, eventually, passed away. So that made my head a little crazy. But, I have a coworker who's 4 or 5 years younger than I am and he doesn't tell anyone when he's leaving early or coming in late. He;s been here longer than I have and I was told in his first year his attendance was horrible.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#8re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:06am

I agree that many people my age who have just started working don't take it seriously. (I'm 23 and 2 years out of college). Part of that stems from the college atmosphere... "I'm too hungover to go to class today. I'll sleep until 7pm instead before hitting the bars again."

However, I take great pride in my own work ethic--so please don't generalize. I am a school teacher and we are given 15 sick days, and 5 personal days. I took off 2 personal days this year for the Jewish Holidays (which my school doesn't close on). And that was it. I did not take one sick day. Or one other personal day. In my school it actually tends to be the older teachers who would take off work because they "felt like it". The woman who teaches French (and is only a few years away from retirement) would take off at least one day every 2 weeks.

I agree that people need to be more dedicated to their job but i think it spans across generations.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#9re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:10am

I was actually thinking about this the other day, and although I might be wrong, I just wanted to theorize. Josefina has never lived in New York before, and might not be used to its normal climate, and this year the weather has been anything but normal. is it possible that her body isn't used to the climate change and it's messing with her voice?

I've never been to Buenos Aires, so anyone who is In the Know can tell me if my reasoning is completely off.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#10re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:21am

Riedel always pisses me off, then writes something I completely agree with and think is kind of important.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#11re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:29am

givesmevoice, I've heard of that happening to other people and it is a theory. Someone who has lived in warmer climates all their life can have trouble adjusting to life in a place that has actual seasons. They have trouble fighting off colds and flus that people who have lived there their entire lives have more of a resistance to. So, that could be a possibility in regards to her but it's summer now so that's less of an excuse. I hope she gets a flu shot this year.

My office offers free flu shots as do others. Do the producers or Equity offer them to actors? It would behoove them too.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#12re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:37am

Updated On: 8/19/09 at 09:37 AM

bethnor
#13re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:45am

Part of that stems from the college atmosphere... "I'm too hungover to go to class today. I'll sleep until 7pm instead before hitting the bars again."

that's a bit of a generalization, don't you think? the fact of the matter is, family and lifestyle are becoming more and more important in many fields. and is there really something wrong with family coming first? for medical residents, the 30-hour work rule (as in, they are not allowed to work for more than 30 hours straight at any given time, and not more than 80 hours in one week) was instituted about 6 years ago. the grumbling from the "old guard" is not unlike what you are seeing here.

i remember the way an intern's face lit up when she saw her daughter. i did everything i could to make sure she left at 13:00 (having started work at 07:00 the day before). that was more important than what the old guard thought, imho.

My office offers free flu shots as do others. Do the producers or Equity offer them to actors? It would behoove them too.

to be perfectly clear, the flu shot has never prevented the flu. you still get the flu. it just attenuates the symptoms, and if you are elderly/have lots of medical problems, you are less likely to die from it (though even this data has been called into question).

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#14re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:53am

My family is from Argentina. I went to school in Buenos Aires for a year during high school. I visit Buenos Aires several times each year. Buenos Aires not only shares the same climate as New York City but also shares its energy, etc. So much so that people compare Buenos Aires to Paris and New York City.

Aside from the expected home-sickness, Josefina hasn't been exposed to anything different than what she's normally used to -- climate and enviroment wise.

Buenos Aires:
re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil

Paris:

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#15re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:58am

If the cast is getting a dressing down by the director (even if it is Laurents) then it most likely is warranted. It is a very young cast and it could easily decompensate without proper direction. In contrast, Laurents directed Gypsy and there were no reports of him talking to that cast. Both Patti and Laura worked when they were sick and showed up other than when they were first incredibly ill. Even though people joke about, Patti in her isotoners is the perfect metaphor for the show must go on. Also, Christina Applegate switching from heels to little boots with ankle support. At the end of the day, it has to be about the show.

Also, I am not trying to villify 20-somethings, but research is starting to emerge about the "millenials" as they are called and about how their psychology is different from previous generations. There has been a lot of writing about them. They are the most entitled generation and they do not have the earning potential or work ethic of previous generations. In theory, they will have to work harder to have less than their parents, but that is not how they were raised.

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#16re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:00am

I don't think you can really compare a "typical" college student with a medical intern. The "I'm too hungover for class" is a sterotype, but it rings true on many college campuses.

Plus, while the whole "family coming first" issue is very relevant to people in the medical profession and other jobs with crazy hours, it's not really applicable here. While Broadway is defientlely a demanding job that requires dedication, to compare it to jobs that require working long hours away from family is a little bit of a stretch.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

FindingNamo
#17re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:04am

Yeah. In the '60s and '70s and '80s nobody was ever too hung over to go to college classes.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ZiggyCringe
#18re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:06am

"Both Patti and Laura worked when they were sick and showed up other than when they were first incredibly ill."

Well, YES, and no.

Patti missed one performance. Laura missed 32. AND she threw a plate in someone's face.

I'm just saying.

dramamama611
#19re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:08am

Wendilin -- you know any generalization has it's standouts. Of course, it can't address EVERYONE....that's why it's a generalization.

and I adore you!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#20re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:09am

thanks, Brody. like I said, I wasn't sure there was really much of a difference. it was just a theory. and Eris, I know it's summer, but this has been such a strange summer in terms of weather.

As a college student, I definitely took advantage of not having a professor taking attendance. I learned the hard way that nothing good comes from it in the end. However, when working, I almost never take time off. I luckily don't get sick very often, but I think I have a good work ethic otherwise.

and Ziggy, Patti missed 3. and are you including Laura's scheduled absences for Eli Stone in that 32?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 8/19/09 at 10:09 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#21re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:11am

They are the most entitled generation and they do not have the earning potential or work ethic of previous generations

Well, that's what was also said about the children of the baby boomers, generation x or y or whatever.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#22re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:13am

Ziggy, that gave me a chuckle.

By the way, am I the only who thinks he can stop with the Donna Murphy thing? Yeah, she missed shows, and I get that, but it's been 5 years.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

madophelia Profile Photo
madophelia
#23re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:14am

Most of the tourists attending WSS have no idea who Matt and Josephia are....There are no names in this show so I really doubt the patrons are "screaming".

But they are confronted with the tangible (paper) evidence that they're not seeing the first string. Nobody likes to open their program and find that they're not seeing the regular cast.

FindingNamo
#24re: Michael Riedel and West Side Story Turmoil
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:19am

"The children love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, show disrespect for elders, and love to chatter ... " -- Socrates, who went to high school with Arthur Laurents, 5th Century, BCE

"When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint ..." Hesiod, with whom Arthur Laurents had a passionate yet loveless affair in the 8th Century, BCE

Yeah, the trouble is these kids today.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 8/19/09 at 10:19 AM

Videos