pixeltracker

Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?

Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?

AlfieByrne
#1Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 4:01am

I just recently saw the national tour of Fiddler on the Roof starring Topol. Is this production considered a "good" production of the show? The performers were fine (despite some lack of chemistry? That could be due to the book.) but wow, the second act dragged on and on.

I perfectly enjoyed the recent national tour of My Fair Lady, and I was expecting a similar kind of emotional reaction but I was left cold.

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#2re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 4:30am

I saw a production of Fiddler with Topol in the early 90's at the London Palladium and it was pretty poor to say the least. Topol(who is now probably the right age to play the part) was fantastic but the rest of the show was awful

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 7:08am

but wow, the second act dragged on and on.

this makes me laugh, tbh. I always think the second act is so much shorter than the first.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#3re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 8:01am

"Topol(who is now probably the right age to play the part)..."

??? Topol turns 74 next month.

"Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?"

Yes.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 8:35am

I can't speak for the production you saw, but it SHOULD be a moving and beautiful piece of theater. It saddens me when folks see lackluster productions of wonderful shows, as it sours them to the show forever.

Fiddler IS a classic.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

After Eight
#5re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:49am

Yes, I would call it a classic.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#6re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 9:53am

Fiddler is one of the top 5 or 10 musicals of all time in my mind.

I can't speak for the current Topol production though.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#7re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:02am

FIDDLER is one of those shows that I have never liked, but I respect its place among the classics.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

jonmbway4652 Profile Photo
jonmbway4652
#8re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:07am

I saw that same tour as well in San Diego... I also thought the performers had no chemistry and that the second act dragged on. I didn't care for Topol at all either. I did love the set and scenery thou

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#9re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:31am

Fiddler ....classic

No question mark needed!

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#10re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:50am

Topol is way too old to play the part, if you want to go strictly by the numbers. Tevye is, at most, 50, and probably closer to 40.

In the shtetl they married young. Tevye's eldest daughter isn't even 20, and since he and Golde have five children presumably there isn't anything seriously wrong with her fertility. So he's been married 20 years or so. Even if he married as late as 25, that'd make Tevye only 45 or so. Certainly no more than 50.

At 74 Topol is old enough to be Tevye's father. But at 45, someone who's led the life Tevye has, can easily look like he's 73, to our modern eyes.

That said, I've seen both Theodore Bikel and Topol as Tevye and I like Bikel's performance much better (I also saw Harry Goz in the original production in 1968 ). I think Bikel was the warmest Tevye I've ever seen.

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#11re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 10:59am

In the song "Do You Love Me," Golde refers to them being married for 25 years. So unless he and Golde were married when they were in their late 40s and they had fertility drugs in a 1905 Russian shtetl, Topol is not anywhere close to being the right age to play Tevye.

ETA: And the show IS a classic.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Updated On: 8/19/09 at 10:59 AM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#12re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 11:06am

In "Do You Love Me", they also mention that the first time they met was at their wedding. That also makes it highly unlikely that they were anything other than teenagers, making them early 40s in the show.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#13re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 1:56pm

As with most older shows, pacing is crucial. In may amateur productions as the story becomes more serious the director allows the pace to slow. Bad idea. You have to keep these older shows moving and building towards the climax.

I haven't seen this tour yet - we get it it in Toronto in November - but I hope it lives up to the show's reputation., Yes it is a classic. The biggest hit of the 1960's and the first musical ever to make it to the very top of the long run charts.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#14re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 2:19pm

Fiddler's a classic. 'Nuff said.

AlgonquinProd2 Profile Photo
AlgonquinProd2
#15re: Fiddler on the Roof... a classic?
Posted: 8/19/09 at 3:46pm

I saw a production of My Fair Lady in L.A. which put me to sleep. Still, both are classics.

Videos