News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for She_Had_Refinement

She_Had_Refinement Profile Photo
Member Name: She_Had_Refinement
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Patti LuPone @ Les Shipping
 Oct 31 2008, 09:00:26 AM
Mine arrived yesterday. Listening now. Great, great show. Feel transported in time. Thanks!
re: Stranded on a Island: You can have one cast recording, which one??
 Oct 11 2008, 11:33:22 AM
Oliver! (OLCR) perhaps, or Candide (OBCR)
re: Lines from Broadway songs that would make great t-shirts
 Oct 2 2008, 07:23:56 PM
"My! Look at them ladylike little stitches!"

"I'm Reviewing the Situation"

"You ain't getting eighty-eight cents from me, Rose."

And the one that's on the t-shirt for this Gypsy revival:

"I'm a pretty girl, Momma!"

re: Sweeney OBC Set
 Oct 2 2008, 07:58:51 AM
It was pieces of an abandoned 19th c. iron foundry from RI.
Favorite Moments
 Oct 2 2008, 07:41:26 AM
I second "Bump it with a trumpet" ... I am so obsessed with this line, when a coworker mentioned that her 14 yr old son played trumpet, I mentioned to her about that line from Gypsy... she looked sort of taken aback. Later I showed her the clip from the film version with Faith Dane as Mazeppa. She still thinks I'm nuts...
re: What Were Older Shows Like When They Opened?
 Sep 24 2008, 09:11:05 PM
Hmm... My reply to this seems not to have taken. Let me just say... PJ, what you wrote... tears indeed. I've worked on the board of an ASO (AIDS Service Organization) in Maine that has benefited from significant grants from BC/EFA, especially for an event that brings joy and laughter and dance to very many whom AIDS/HIV has impacted. Thank you, and bless you. I will put this photo of on the piano this December in memory of Reed. In Memory. Thanks, karl
 Sep 24 2008, 06:39:14 PM
PJ, teary indeed. Thanks for sharing about Reed. I am on the board of an AIDS Service Organization in Maine that gets significant funding from BC/EFA for an event that brings much joy and laughter to very many people affected by HIV/AIDS. Broadway has done so much, given so deeply, and lost so many. In December, I will place that picture on the piano where we light candles in memory. In Memory!
re: Riedel on Kushner's Newest Award; Xanadu's Closing
 Sep 24 2008, 07:48:03 AM
Agreed, but the large chip on his shoulders about Kushner's politics detracts from the whole point. Looks like Riedel's been saving all those sarcastic quips for just the right moment.
 Sep 24 2008, 07:34:43 AM
Mamie, you're a doll and a sweetheart, did you know that? You just got my day off to a great start. I feel about you the way Brooks Atkinson felt about Roz Russell in Wonderful Town! Mamie for president!
re: Favorite songs about unrequited love
 Sep 22 2008, 08:16:06 PM
Wow TulitaPepsi... thank you. Between that clip and the soundtrack of Pal Joey, I may not have any more tears to give up tonight. Thanks.
re: What Older Shows Should I Get Into?
 Sep 22 2008, 08:12:25 PM
Totally agree with shesamarshmallow. If you like Gypsy, you'll like Bells Are Ringing.

That said, and I mean this respectfully DCR, I know Sweeney is not everyone's taste, but it's not a bad thing to explore outside of an area of one's predilection. My example of this as it pertains to me is Rent. I never would have thought this would have affected me so. But it did. That said, there's a limit to experimentation. I'd just recommend exploring as much as you can via libraries (I'm a libra

re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
 Sep 22 2008, 07:59:16 PM
Well, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is pretty modern. May not be set in the 70s, but the themes are all there.

Company, in my mind is deserving of an award, because of its innovative book structure (some still hate it!)... but it sure shook things up.

re: What Older Shows Should I Get Into?
 Sep 22 2008, 07:52:57 PM
Well, DCR, I'm an old-fashioned "gal". I'd recommend "Wonderful Town" - (Bernstein/Comden&Green). Some great tunes there... Donna Murphy's recent revival performance is wonderful, but there's nothing like Rosalind Russell.... and yes, she's no Ethel Merman, but Ruth's songs were all conceived around her vocal limitations. I'd also suggest "Anything Goes" - Cole Porter writes some very witty lyrics and memorable tunes. The 1986 revival with Patti LuPone is worthwhile. Finally, for a great "concep
 Sep 22 2008, 06:51:56 PM
Well I found a treasure trove with Rodgers and Hart... Falling In Love With Love (The Boys from Syracuse), Can't You Do a Friend a Favor? (Connecticut Yankee...)...
re: Performers Who Don't Look Like Their Voices
 Sep 22 2008, 05:08:37 PM
Rosalind Russell sounds a lot like Lisa Kirk... ;^) - pace Roz, I love ya.

For real, I guess I'd say Mandy Patinkin. It doesn't matter what recording it is, I'm always surprised at that high clear head voice.

And I guess Harvey Fierstein for the first time...

re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
 Sep 22 2008, 04:17:27 PM
Gypsy... 4 Bway revivals... it deserves a coronation.
 Sep 22 2008, 03:35:23 PM
Well an off-line friend just suggested "Easy to Love" from Anything Goes... but that is unfortunately at the wrong end of the emotional spectrum I'm currently overwhelmed by. It's plainly clear... he would not be so easy to love...

Ugh. Why can't I fall for available guys.

Favorite songs about unrequited love
 Sep 22 2008, 02:26:48 PM
I searched the board, but didn't find this particular flavor of love as a thread of its own... so, what are your favorite songs about unrequited love, or further, a love that was not meant to be - I need to compile a playlist to aurally drown my sorrows in.

My current loop:

1 - Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (Pal Joey)
2 - As Long as He Needs Me (Oliver!)
3 - I Dreamed a Dream (Les Miserables)
4 - Losing My Mind (Follies)

Thanks for your help.

re: Broadway phrases you use in everyday life
 Sep 18 2008, 04:53:00 PM
Usually in a meeting... when someone says, "OK, we're finished"... the natural response is... "Finished?! We're just beginning! And there's no stopping us this time!"
re: Performers Who Grew On You
 Sep 16 2008, 06:51:43 PM
Sadly, Angela Lansbury. Alas, I was born to Broadway too late and started watching TV too early. It has taken a decade to erase Jessica Fletcher out of my mind.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You