pixeltracker

If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...

If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...

bwayfan9
#1If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 1:59pm

what would you want it to be?

I would have to say, I wish company had won a Pulitze. It was the first piece of theatre to deal with adult problems and to talk about marrige. Not only was it loved by traditional theatre goers, but by people who weren't theatre buffs. The writing was intelligent, the music was beautiful, everything about was worthy of a Pulitzer IMO.

What About You?

Obama/Biden 08

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#2re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:04pm

I wouldn't say COMPANY was the FIRST piece of theatre to deal with marriage. The problems of marriage are dealt with constantly. Look at WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? or THE WOMEN or any other host of plays. COMPANY dealt with marriage, it's true, but I don't believe it can be called the first piece of theatre to talk about it.

That being said, I think the book is brilliant. When I saw the recent revival, I actually enjoyed them a lot more than I enjoyed any of the music.

EDIT: Double negative fixed. Sorry about that.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.
Updated On: 9/21/08 at 02:04 PM

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#2re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:06pm

Grey Gardens

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

bwayfan9
#3re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:07pm

It had been 'modernized' in years. The pieces you mentioned were fairly older than company. I still feel like company deserved a pulitzer.

Obama/Biden 08

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#4re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:11pm

"It was the first piece of theatre to deal with adult problems and to talk about marrige."

Seriously? No, REALLY? You have got to get out more or read more.

PEACE.

BroadwayNick Profile Photo
BroadwayNick
#5re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:58pm

Caroline, or Change. There is so much that is wonderful and beautiful about this show. It is smart, sad, funny, and completely original. Should have won the Pulitzer.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. --Dave Berry

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#6re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 2:59pm

AGREED!!!!

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#7re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 3:03pm

Bwayfan9 - not at all. That's just so wrong....

what do you even say to that? COMPANY was not the first musical/piece of theatre to deal with marriage and relationships. Wow.

bwayfan9
#8re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 3:06pm

How about this

the first peice to deal with marrige and adult problems in a long time and in a 'moderni' scenario.

Obama/Biden 08

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#9re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 3:14pm

Caroline, Or Change absolutely deserved the Pulitzer.

OrdinaryJukebox
#10re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 3:29pm

I couldn't agree more for the "Caroline, or Change" votes. I've never seen anything like it, and I don't think I ever will again.

-Vincent

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#12re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 4:46pm

Gypsy
Follies- But people were too stupid to realize how good the book is.
Grey Gardens

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#13re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 5:56pm

The fact CAROLINE, OR CHANGE did not get the Pulitzer makes no sense.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Brick
#14re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 6:47pm

CAROLINE OR CHANGE. Agreed.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#15re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 6:51pm

Caroline, or Change. Absolutely.

i*heart*fame
#16re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 10:36pm

Grey Gardens

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#17re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/21/08 at 10:42pm

It was the first piece of theatre to deal with adult problems and to talk about marrige.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? I love Company more than words can accurately express, but that's just incorrect.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

bwayguy22089
commasplice
#19re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/22/08 at 12:17am

Yet another vote for CAROLINE, OR CHANGE.

RentBoy86
#20re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/22/08 at 1:11am

Caroline, or Change

Chicago

I don't think Grey Gardens should have won. Act II was great, but Act 1 was just so-so. And I could have done without some of the songs, but an engaging play nonetheless.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
Roscoe
#22re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/22/08 at 11:34am

I'd have said COMPANY over CAROLINE, but I don't think either one is particularly deserving. Certainly not GREY GARDENS.

But I don't think SUNDAY IN THE PARK deserved it either. Isn't there supposed to be something somewhere in the piece about American life? Only the second half of SUNDAY really fulfills that, and it is the weakest half of the show.

I think Sondheim is well deserving of a Pulitzer for music, don't get me wrong.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#23re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/22/08 at 11:42am

Caroline, or Change and Grey Gardens. Both are wonderful, completely underrated musicals and deserved much longer runs than they got.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

i*heart*fame
#24re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/22/08 at 1:40pm

But you have to look at the years in which they were eligible. Although I don't know the complete eligibility rules in 2006 and 2007 Grey Gardens was deserving of the award above the show that won(or in 2006 no show won) and the other shows nominated.

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

Roscoe
#25re: If Any Other Musical Were To Win The Pulitzer...
Posted: 9/22/08 at 2:46pm

The year in which they were eligible is beside the point. GREY GARDENS and CAROLINE OR CHANGE would be dull unimaginative and uninteresting showcases for divas in search of a Tony in any year, and neither was worth the space they took up in their respective theatres.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/